Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I’d complain to your installer and have them redo it if they can’t just apply heat to tighten it up. My shop ruined the stock cloth covers but made sure the katzkins were perfect. Maybe katzkin can help in that regard. I spend more time inside the vehicle than out of it, so this would annoy me too.
Sponsored

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Wow - this looks awesome. Can you tell my what color red that is? How has it held up? Thanks!
Honestly not sure which red was used im sorry. I spoke to a rep on the phone and just told him what I was looking to get. And the leather has been great since the install and I have moved around a lot with packages/boxes on the seat. Folded down for extended periods of time, and dogs that don’t exactly know how to be gentle on the leather. All things considered it’s held up with no issues.

the leather kits they make a great but it really all depends on the installer and the time/quality of work they do to put it in.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
If you install it yourself and did a crap job, you wouldn't be upset at all because you literally saved hundreds.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If you install it yourself and did a crap job, you wouldn't be upset at all because you literally saved hundreds.
I would rather spend a few hundred more than spend a thousand dollars on crappy looking seats.

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
Honestly not sure which red was used im sorry. I spoke to a rep on the phone and just told him what I was looking to get. And the leather has been great since the install and I have moved around a lot with packages/boxes on the seat. Folded down for extended periods of time, and dogs that don’t exactly know how to be gentle on the leather. All things considered it’s held up with no issues.

the leather kits they make a great but it really all depends on the installer and the time/quality of work they do to put it in.
Thank you and no problem! Appreciate your response.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I would rather spend a few hundred more than spend a thousand dollars on crappy looking seats.
how much are leather seat installs in your area? My area is between 700-1000

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Either way you are still wrong.
Alright I know i'm two months late to this but I wanted to point out that your claim is ridiculous. I see it all the time - "why not just pay the couple hundred bucks for a pro installation?". LOL. There is nowhere in my STATE that you can get a full leather interior installed for a couple hundred bucks. It's $1000 MINIMUM up here. If you go to Katzkin shops it's $1700 out-the-door for the Wrangler including the leather kit cost. I got my kit for $540 shipped and installed it myself. I'd say the savings were well worth the work.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Alright I know i'm two months late to this but I wanted to point out that your claim is ridiculous. I see it all the time - "why not just pay the couple hundred bucks for a pro installation?". LOL. There is nowhere in my STATE that you can get a full leather interior installed for a couple hundred bucks. It's $1000 MINIMUM up here. If you go to Katzkin shops it's $1700 out-the-door for the Wrangler including the leather kit cost. I got my kit for $540 shipped and installed it myself. I'd say the savings were well worth the work.
I am sure you are right. But that's not what he said. He said if I installed it myself AND it was a crap job and it looked crappy, I wouldn't be upset at all because I would have saved money.

I don't agree with that. I would be upset. There are lots of things I can install myself. Some I do. Some I don't because I know I wouldn't be happy with the results, no matter how much I saved.

He didn't say HE would be happy knowing he saved money, he said " If you install it yourself and did a crap job, you wouldn't be upset at all because you literally saved hundreds. "

Well that's 100% not true. I wouldn't feel that way. If he had said HE would feel that way I would assume he is correct and that is cool. He can feel how he wants. And so can I.

But then I just let it go because I realized I was coming off like an asshole and it really isn't important to be right.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I don't agree with that. I would be upset. There are lots of things I can install myself. Some I do. Some I don't because I know I wouldn't be happy with the results, no matter how much I saved.
Perhaps you could have added a bit more detail so we knew that's what you were talking about? I have no idea how we were supposed to get that out of "Either way you are still wrong.".

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Perhaps you could have added a bit more detail so we knew that's what you were talking about? I have no idea how we were supposed to get that out of "Either way you are still wrong.".
Yeah you’re right. Maybe I’d been drinkin’? I can’t remember.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Just got them completed last week, and when I picked up the vehicle the installer told me they came out extremely wrinkled compared to others they've done. They had at least 10 boxes waiting install, so I feel it was excessive compared to what they normally see in order for them to tell me that. I've reached out to katzkin and sent them the pictures. I've heard great things about them, so I'm confident they'll tell me it's normal give it some time or offer help in correcting.

I appreciate your help @TheRaven
How are your seats looking now? I just wanted to post up an example now that I have it.

Here are the seats in my wife's JLU80th right after I finished installing the leather back in December:

Jeep Wrangler JL Katzkin leather seats 20201230_145221

Jeep Wrangler JL Katzkin leather seats 20201231_124931

And here they are last week, after having sat in the hot sun a couple times:

Jeep Wrangler JL Katzkin leather seats 20210514_142230
Jeep Wrangler JL Katzkin leather seats 20210514_142222

They aren't BAD, per se, in the first pics...but they're nearly perfect in the second set. So yeah, they get better with time (and heat).

Fastbusa

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
How are your seats looking now? I just wanted to post up an example now that I have it.

Here are the seats in my wife's JLU80th right after I finished installing the leather back in December:

And here they are last week, after having sat in the hot sun a couple times:

They aren't BAD, per se, in the first pics...but they're nearly perfect in the second set. So yeah, they get better with time (and heat).
I've contacted @Katzkin to discuss replacement. Still extremely loose fitting. Back seats still have creases. Not much difference from initial install till now. Not having much luck with katzkin as they were supposed to call me back a week ago after sending in pictures. These creases are after 4 months
Jeep Wrangler JL Katzkin leather seats 20210506_102243

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I am sure you are right. But that's not what he said. He said if I installed it myself AND it was a crap job and it looked crappy, I wouldn't be upset at all because I would have saved money.

He didn't say HE would be happy knowing he saved money, he said " If you install it yourself and did a crap job, you wouldn't be upset at all because you literally saved hundreds. "

Well that's 100% not true. I wouldn't feel that way. If he had said HE would feel that way I would assume he is correct and that is cool. He can feel how he wants. And so can I.

But then I just let it go because I realized I was coming off like an asshole and it really isn't important to be right.
Crap job means a couple wrinkles here and there. I don't know what a crap job looks like to you, but it's pretty hard to screw up leather seat install really badly. It's really simple, just very LABOR intensive. I've installed leather seats before and I was 100% satisfied with my first attempt.
Sponsored