Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
didnt think there was a cooling mode, need the fans under the seat. have it in my SRT and wifes Overland.

For those who have installed the katzkin, how difficult?
Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
didnt think there was a cooling mode, need the fans under the seat. have it in my SRT and wifes Overland.

There is actually a Youtube video that goes through the process. It is more work than I am willing and able to handle but one should decide themselves on the difficulty after watching video.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Very. I've done several leather interiors over the years and the JL was by far the most difficult.

There is actually a Youtube video that goes through the process. It is more work than I am willing and able to handle but one should decide themselves on the difficulty after watching video.
Do they have a JL video now? When I did my JL six months ago there was only a JK video, and it's not real helpful. The JL is very different.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

It seems so backwards to me that FCA would offer heating on the JL but not cooling. Cooling seems like the more obvious need that would benefit the most buyers.

But damn, $1,000 ON TOP OF the $1.7K overall cost is ... well just damn.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Very. I've done several leather interiors over the years and the JL was by far the most difficult.

Do they have a JL video now? When I did my JL six months ago there was only a JK video, and it's not real helpful. The JL is very different.
I don't remember. I will look on my saved YouTube videos when I get home.

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Anyone in the NY/NJ are who got these installed, let me know who did them

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had Katzkin covers installed on my rig by the dealer.... twice. I should've had them do it a third time as the seams on the headrests were not centered. My observation is that there are only as good as they are installed. Mine are no where near as tight and snug as a factory equipped leather option. Maybe a third party installer that specializes in that type of thing could've done a better job.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL

The one I saw was actually for a Silverado.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I had Katzkin covers installed on my rig by the dealer.... twice. I should've had them do it a third time as the seams on the headrests were not centered. My observation is that there are only as good as they are installed. Mine are no where near as tight and snug as a factory equipped leather option. Maybe a third party installer that specializes in that type of thing could've done a better job.
This is the big "gotcha" when it comes to Katzkin or any aftermarket leather system. When you read reviews on forums, you'll see guys make it sound like it's easy to just get them installed. I've done several interiors myself now and one thing i've seen commonly across forums of all brands of cars is that installation price and quality varies MASSIVELY depending on region. I'm told that in Miami, Austin, and SoCal, you can flag down anyone on the street and they'll do a factory quality install in an hour for a case of beer. Unfortunately here where I live it's $1000 minimum just for the install and you're definitely not getting factory quality. My nearest Katzkin shop is an hour and a half away and they want $1700 for two rows.

The one I saw was actually for a Silverado.
Yeah unfortunately that's an entirely different world. GM interiors are a breeze...I did my Tahoe a few years ago and despite the 90lb, 12-way power heated and cooled seats (with airbags), I was able to do the entire interior in a day. The JL took me three days.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
This is the big "gotcha" when it comes to Katzkin or any aftermarket leather system. When you read reviews on forums, you'll see guys make it sound like it's easy to just get them installed. I've done several interiors myself now and one thing i've seen commonly across forums of all brands of cars is that installation price and quality varies MASSIVELY depending on region. I'm told that in Miami, Austin, and SoCal, you can flag down anyone on the street and they'll do a factory quality install in an hour for a case of beer. Unfortunately here where I live it's $1000 minimum just for the install and you're definitely not getting factory quality. My nearest Katzkin shop is an hour and a half away and they want $1700 for two rows.

Yeah unfortunately that's an entirely different world. GM interiors are a breeze...I did my Tahoe a few years ago and despite the 90lb, 12-way power heated and cooled seats (with airbags), I was able to do the entire interior in a day. The JL took me three days.
I live in San Antonio, and there are "only" a handful of Katzkin installers. I would NEVER attempt to install these myself. And me trying to install the cooling part is definitely out of the question. The one I went to deals with a lot of high-end luxury cars (and had awesome reviews). It took them about 4 hours for two rows and that is the price I paid and I would say it looks better than factory.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I live in San Antonio, and there are "only" a handful of Katzkin installers. I would NEVER attempt to install these myself. And me trying to install the cooling part is definitely out of the question. The one I went to deals with a lot of high-end luxury cars (and had awesome reviews). It took them about 4 hours for two rows and that is the price I paid and I would say it looks better than factory.
After doing it several times myself, I highly recommend to anyone who feels the need to ask "should I attempt this myself" that they NOT try it. This is one of those situations where the old adage "if you have to ask, it's not for you" definitely applies. There are some very resourceful guys out there that despite having never done it before, will be able to do a great job...but those guys know who they are.

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
I had Katzkin seats made for my Jeep, did the install myself, absolutely love them! Also got a heated seat kit off Amazon and installed. I’ve had 3 sets of Katzkins and they are great.

CE5B8CF3-3D8F-49E5-A534-F9085E1A6897.jpeg
I want a set of these for my 80th so badly. Hopefully in the next year or so. They look great

fizzboker

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel
Do the katskinz offer things like more padding etc? Just to make the seats more comfortable? We're looking into options for more comfort on long trips.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I just finished my seats, done them myself. Years ago I use to be an authorized installer and did upholstery, including sewing. I feel their overall fitment has greatly improved since I last done them regularly. But feel they still don’t do enough quality control as I seen some flaws that shouldn’t make it out, but I can live with it… It’s overall very good quality for production work and most wouldn’t notice the issues unless I was to point them out.

My Jeep is a 2021 Rubicon 2 door and it’s by far the easiest install I’ve ever done. These seats are pretty simple and straightforward.

9EB04AD4-8921-4A56-B8CD-7EE9501601A6.jpeg

DC090A7E-D498-46D6-8B7C-3BA4E9974AA0.jpeg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I found the Trail Recon results a little…meh.

Katzkin did stand behind their product when my father had a problem with his Ram seat covers.
Sponsored