Sponsored

K&N 63-1580 CAI for the 2.0 - what do you think?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my opinion:

I won't ever use oiled filters again. While I don't doubt their claim of "increased airflow", that increase comes at a cost. The gauze element isn't as dense as stock type paper filters, hence you get more airflow. For filtering, these filters rely on oil to trap the dust, dirt, etc.

There's several studies which show these filters aren't as efficient in trapping the particulates as well as paper filters. So where does the particulates end up? In your engine. Some of the filter oil can also end up in your air intake system. This oil also contains the fine, gritty dirt the oil trapped and now this mess is inside your air intake, throttle body, etc.

I installed an AFE CAI on my TJ. Within a couple of months, I had a gritty, oily coating on the inside of my throttle body. I put the stock system back on and never looked back. Other than sound, I couldn't tell a difference between stock and a CAI.

These filters are dang near impossible to oil correctly. Too much oil and a lot of oil will pass into your intake. Too little oil and there's very little filtering ability.

Ask your self: What's wrong with the stock paper filter? If the K&N is so amazing at increasing fuel mileage, horsepower, torque, and filtering efficiency, then why wouldn't the auto manufacturers use these types of filters? They're not good for the engine is why.

Spend your money on parts which will make a difference in how your Jeep performs: skid plates, winch, control arms, shocks, etc. and let the suckers waste their money on the snake oil parts.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
On their website it says "Estimated Horsepower Gain 12.54 HP @ 4993 RPM". I can estimate that 'estimated' means they didn't actually test it.

FWIW: Mishimoto tested their intake and found negligible gains, and I expect all others to be similar (with the OEM tune). https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2019/06/jeep-wrangler-intake-2018-rd-pt6/

MMAI-JLH_Prototype_Dyno.jpg

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Most ā€œmodernā€ intake systems are pretty darn good right out of the box. As noted, above the ā€œoiledā€ filters will, in theory anyway, flow a bit better, but at the cost of less effective filtration. Donā€™t like that on ANY vehicle, like it ever less on one designed for off road use. Do you really want extra grit inside your engine? I sure donā€™t. Back in the dim and misty I ran K&Nā€™s on racing 2 stroke motorcycles, I also rebuilt these engines on a fairly regular basis. Your nickel and your Jeep, but think before you do. If oiled filters really worked that well why wouldnā€™t OEMā€™s use them. For those of use at a certain age we remember when factory air cleaners had oil in them. They havenā€™t for several decades and there IS a reason why...
Sponsored