Sponsored

Just wrecked my jeep!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This. This absolutely makes my friggin' blood boil. I'm ALL IN when it comes to life 1st, property 2nd. Yes, sir. But it's damn hard to do when so many people drive like they got their licenses from the bottom of box of #$%^ CrackerJacks. And s/he tops it all off by just going on their merry way.

:swear::swear::angry::angry:
Hopefully the idiot was caught
Sponsored

Dreamer854

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
911 Dispatcher
I've just got to chime in on this. I'm a 911 dispatcher. Please, please don't do this. I can only speak for my area, but i know mine can't be the only one. When a person calls in an accident with "unknown injuries" we send police, fire, and ambulance. They run lights and sirens, as fast as possible. For a property damage only accident fire and ambulance are not sent, police drive normally. To have that many units running as fast as possible creates more riak of accident or injury to others. Please just be honest. Now, there should be a response by police if either subject will be filing with insurance, as most companies won't file a collision claim without the police report.
When you call in an accident that you want the police to come and they ask you if there are injuries, the answer should always be "don't know, but it was a serious accident".

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I've just got to chime in on this. I'm a 911 dispatcher. Please, please don't do this. I can only speak for my area, but i know mine can't be the only one. When a person calls in an accident with "unknown injuries" we send police, fire, and ambulance. They run lights and sirens, as fast as possible. For a property damage only accident fire and ambulance are not sent, police drive normally. To have that many units running as fast as possible creates more riak of accident or injury to others. Please just be honest. Now, there should be a response by police if either subject will be filing with insurance, as most companies won't file a collision claim without the police report.
Everything was good up to the last point, which is not true at all. I've had it happen and they wouldn't send police. It's 1 of the reasons why I have a dash cam now. The retard backed into me at a stop light, no 1 else around. I know how that sounds, but I've never had an issue w/my insurance and they believed me. I got the cam after that so I would never have to be in doubt.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
In Calif., she will probably get her hands slapped, if even that. Your insurance co. needs to go after the Car Owner and his/her Insurance Company, to pay for the repair. Plus don't forget diminished value. Because once that your Wrangler has been repaired, its actual value will be about 20% less than it was before the accident. Insurance companies don't like to pay this, so it may take a Letter from your Jeep Dealer, showing the difference in current trade in value. Plus a letter from a Attorney. My Daughter went through this with her new BMW, several years ago. The Insurance co didn't want to pay it. So she had a Attorney, write a letter to the insurance company, with the attached appraisal's from her BMW Dealer. Within a week, she received a Draft in the mail, for approx. $16,000. So it is worth the effort.
Ours was in Arizona. I don't know Calif. laws. I hope over there, that some written law doesn't give the car Owner a way out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sardogtella

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
Her insurance company has been great so far. They accepted responsibility and gave me a rental car. As far as diminished value, it is a 2012 JK Rubi with 170000 miles on it. It bluebooks for 12-15K. I know it's really worth more but I don't know how much the value could diminish! Anyway I would not part with my JK and don't think I will ever sell her.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I hear what you are saying, and I agree, that for a *** clearly *** property damage only minor accident, and a simple situation, that is how it should be reported.

But, that is not what happened here. We have a young woman who was hit hard by a heavy vehicle on her passenger door. No one is capable of assessing that "there are no injuries" in the 5 seconds it takes to call 911. No one. Not you, not a first responder, not a doctor.

So, if it is a serious accident, like this one, the only proper thing to say is "I don't know, but it is a serious accident".

I'm actually a bit surprised that you, as a dispatcher, are implying that a person calling 911 for a ** serious ** accident, can make an immediate determination of "no injuries".

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Glad you both are okay - we've all done stupid things and sometimes we do them at the really wrong time. Sorry about your Jeep too. Poor girl must have been terrified when she looked to the side and saw your bull bar and grill at face level. Pretty sure that's not something she'll ever do again.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You are correct. I meant collision. I have plenty of liability but no collision coverage.
Liability is always good so they wont come after your stuff in case something bad happens. It covers you from more than just material damage.

If you don't have collision and are driving new, expensive cars. You are taking a pretty large financial risk. If you are at fault at an accident, which happens even to the best drivers, you'd lose a lot of money. And if you have a loan, you will still have to pay that off.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well since you live in CA I'm sure the unlicensed and uninsured(?) teenage driver will be labeled the victim in this case since your Jeep is much larger and eco unfriendly. I could go on but I think you get the point :)
Nah she won't get away with it. Required to carry a license and be insured. She didn't carry a license. She is gonna be at fault.

Lets not exaggerate things.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Her insurance company has been great so far. They accepted responsibility and gave me a rental car. As far as diminished value, it is a 2012 JK Rubi with 170000 miles on it. It bluebooks for 12-15K. I know it's really worth more but I don't know how much the value could diminish! Anyway I would not part with my JK and don't think I will ever sell her.
That is good to hear!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Nah she won't get away with it. Required to carry a license and be insured. She didn't carry a license. She is gonna be at fault.

Oops... sorry, didn't mean to poke fun at CA residents. I forgot they were a protected group. My bad.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Oops... sorry, didn't mean to poke fun at CA residents. I forgot they were a protected group. My bad.
Lol. Just speaking the truth. OP actually got taken care off by the other insurance....

I forget that there are a group of CA haters who don't even live in the state. Go figure.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Really?

Is there a police report for this accident? No. Are there "on the record" or sworn statements from witnesses? No. Is there an actual proof of identification for the driver that is valid?

Will she even be present in the US next week?

I get a kick out of people who make these bold pronunciations like "She won't get away with it".

The OP couldn't even get the police on the scene to document facts.

I hope this is an honest person, who in fact takes responsibility, has the means to pay the damages (via insurance that is actually honored or personal funds), and that all ends well. But it can very easily be the opposite.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good for you and your patience... that would be difficult. Glad you did not have prerunner stinger style hoop this would have gone way worse for her. Texas here and very rural so it blows my mind police were not dispatched just to record it. Here there would have been 3 Sheriff's deputies and 2 Troopers. So this boils down your a good man, and thank God I live in the country.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Where I live it's difficult to get Police response for emergencies. Police definitely not coming for non injury accident.

ARB bumpers are fantastic. Typically they will bend before vehicle frame. Also designed for pedestrian safety. Indestructible bumper would have done more harm than good to the JK.

What agency doesn't send an officer to a crash for a crash report? That's kind of part of their duties. Insurance usually requires a report also as it will show what occurred, the at fault, and also if someone did not have a valid license. It's also a lot easier to eliminate the "he said, she said" in court if someone/an insurance company were to try and fight paying out. Like what was already said by @gato , always get a crash report if you are involved in a crash
Sponsored