Sponsored

just took delivery - question for those who have already gotten their Jeep

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Anything that they would add to your monthly payment WILLINGLY, to me, would suggest that they were doing it for the money they were making, not for the benefit it adds to your Jeep. When I bought my first new car back when I was 22, they told me I could get this one, specific mode, because it would keep my payment UNDER $250/month and that was the MOST I could get financed for. Fast forward to the finance office and the manager practically forced (okay, I was young, female and ignorant back then, don’t judge! LOL) me to buy the extended warranty that took my payment OVER $270 and he told me that he could get the higher amount approved because I was ‘protecting the finance company’s best interest’. When I told him that was going to make my budget really tight and I wanted to skip it, he said he couldn’t sell me the car without it.

Obviously, this is not the same situation here, but since then I have always been skeptical of any automobile extended warranty mainly because the one I had didn’t cover any of the issues I had with the car. Any time something went wrong and I tried to use it, it miraculously wasn’t covered for some reason or another. It’s typically the same with any extended warranty you buy on anything. They count on you NOT reading the contract first, allowing the cancellation period to lapse and then when you try to make a claim that’s when they tell you you’re not covered because of an exclusion or that the issue is considered ‘wear and tear’.

Insurance(warranties) is like legalized gambling. How much are you willing to gamble to see if you have X problem, that could potentially cost Y to fix? If you take that same cost for the warranty and put it into a savings account (and NOT spend it on anything other than car repairs so you are always ‘covered’) and then never have an issue that you would have used that warranty for, how much are you ahead? And then add in all the interest you’d NOT be paying on top of it... it’s the same with health care insurance and why catastrophic policies have been issued. People couldn’t afford the ‘full service’ plans, but they were too afraid to go completely without, so they paid the least amount they could to get a policy that only covered them if they were on their death bed.

As you can see, my issues are mainly monetary: value for cost. As for HOW they would fix any issues, that would be where you’d have to read the specific policy they gave you. I’m sure there are fifty companies selling similar warranties through dealers all over the US, and there are probably at least 25 different remedies they all claim to use. Fixes likely depend on if you bought their ‘special discount’ plan or the ‘premium’. (Did they offer you different options based on price? Seems like every dealer has a smorgasbord menu for warranties in the finance office.) But again, without reading the fine print it’s hard for us to speculate. Could their love bug fix be a clay detail? Could it be a cut/mop job? Do they expect you to apply some coating and come back to the dealer to have it reapplied on a schedule that no one ever keeps up with (ANOTHER way they cheat you out of coverage, require YOU to do specific maintenance to keep your coverage intact.)? Or are you required to bring the vehicle in for ‘visual inspections’ for the same reasons? What happens to this warranty if you move? Does your benefit transfer to another dealer? Another city in the same state? Another state entirely? (If there is this possibility in your life, obviously.)

It really boils down to what the paperwork says, keeping in mind that if it does require action on your side to maintain, that you are WILLING and ABLE to follow through. Once you miss one maintenance visit, inspection or whatever, all the money you’ve paid for that ‘warranty’ is gone...

If they didn’t give you a contract full of LOTS of fine print outlining their exact coverage and your responsibilities, but told you you’d get a copy of the policy ‘in the mail within the next XX days’ (and the cancellation period expires in 48-72 hours), that would raise another red flag. How can you evaluate a policy if you don’t have the complete terms and conditions available before you lose the ability to terminate?

Paranoid about your paint and bug damage? Plan to wash your Jeep as needed. Don’t allow bug guts to sit and eat up your paint. Make sure you keep up with waxing and clay bar. Worried about your leather? Cover the seats with something BEFORE you do anything to them that might screw them up. Going to Home Depot? Cover with an old blanket. Bringing the dog? Make sure you cover the back seat with something big enough that will also protect from wet paws or drool. (LOL) Wash the seats and condition them, on a recommended schedule, with GOOD products (Lexol, my favorite: https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-E30112...pons&keywords=lexol+leather+conditioner&psc=1). Maintain your car like you would any other $30, $40, $50 thousand dollar investment you’d make. You’ll get out of it what you put into it. There are lots of people here who can tell you their secrets for washing/waxing/maintaining the appearance of their Jeeps. There are also tons of videos and websites for the DIY detailer. The Chemical Guys is the first one that comes to mind.

People are probably tired of listening to me or have already skipped the end of this post, so I will shut up now. Bottom line, READ every detail and make sure you understand it. Ask questions if necessary. Your gut will tell you if it’s a legitimate offer. And if it’s not, cancel BEFORE it’s too late. :like:
While I am coming in on the tail-end of this discussion, please excuse me if I'm a bit "off target" on this discussion. I also purchased an extended warranty...HOWEVER...let me explain my rationale for it...and NORMALLY...I would never purchase an extended warranty. My rationale for purchasing the extended warranty is because of the new 8-speed transmission. I generally won't purchase a first year model vehicle...as the JL is...until after it has been around for more than a year...but my lack of patience and the excitement over a new Jeep got the best of me :surprised:. IMO, I think it takes a year or two to get all of the kinks worked out of a new model and if you read Consumer Reports at all, this is what they also say. So...again, because this is the first year for the JL, I bought the extended warranty mainly for the transmission. We all know that the 3.6 Pentastar motor is a tried and proven, reliable and dependable motor as it has been around for some time now so I have no issues with that. But this is the first year that an 8-speed auto transmission has been paired with that motor so I'm skeptical...at the moment...that it is going to be 100% trouble free. I can only hope that it will be a trouble free component but paying the extra money for the security of knowing that it will be fixed should something come up when it is out of warranty is comforting to me. The price of the extended warranty is also negotiable...at least it was for me and I was pleased with the result and experience that I have had so far.

And yes...I fully agree, treat your vehicle like you would any other $30k, $40k or $50k car by changing the fluids, washing it and doing regular maintenance and it will most likely be fine. I'm a freak when it comes to all of that...in fact, my ex-wife used to make fun of me because of how well I take care of my vehicles, be it a car, motorcycle, boat or plane...she used to say that I took care of those things better than I took care of her :facepalm:. Oh well.
Sponsored

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
JeepÂź Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
While I am coming in on the tail-end of this discussion, please excuse me if I'm a bit "off target" on this discussion. I also purchased an extended warranty...HOWEVER...let me explain my rationale for it...and NORMALLY...I would never purchase an extended warranty. My rationale for purchasing the extended warranty is because of the new 8-speed transmission. I generally won't purchase a first year model vehicle...as the JL is...until after it has been around for more than a year...but my lack of patience and the excitement over a new Jeep got the best of me :surprised:. IMO, I think it takes a year or two to get all of the kinks worked out of a new model and if you read Consumer Reports at all, this is what they also say. So...again, because this is the first year for the JL, I bought the extended warranty mainly for the transmission. We all know that the 3.6 Pentastar motor is a tried and proven, reliable and dependable motor as it has been around for some time now so I have no issues with that. But this is the first year that an 8-speed auto transmission has been paired with that motor so I'm skeptical...at the moment...that it is going to be 100% trouble free. I can only hope that it will be a trouble free component but paying the extra money for the security of knowing that it will be fixed should something come up when it is out of warranty is comforting to me. The price of the extended warranty is also negotiable...at least it was for me and I was pleased with the result and experience that I have had so far.

And yes...I fully agree, treat your vehicle like you would any other $30k, $40k or $50k car by changing the fluids, washing it and doing regular maintenance and it will most likely be fine. I'm a freak when it comes to all of that...in fact, my ex-wife used to make fun of me because of how well I take care of my vehicles, be it a car, motorcycle, boat or plane...she used to say that I took care of those things better than I took care of her :facepalm:. Oh well.
Totally 100% agree with your reasoning about the warranty on your transmission, based on your feelings. This purchaser was talking about paint/leather type warranty. I used my mechanical warranty as the basis for my dislike, only because once I had that experience I never believed in any of the OTHER dealer warranties, for any coverage.

Your opinion certainly adds a side I hadn't thought about for mechanicals... but that is why this is a great place! You get to hear ALL KINDS of opinions! :like:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You get the wheel lock for removing the lock from the spare tire. That is all everyone gets standard from the factory. So check your spare and make sure the lock key fits and you are good to go. You can always purchase a set of 4 wheel lug nuts and a master lock socket for the other 4 tires. You don't need to pay the price the dealer asks you can purchase such items from the aftermarket and still get OE parts many times.
I have 0 wheel locks on my JLUR. Seems some didn't come from the factory.

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
JeepÂź Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
Wow... I thought they ALL came with a wheel lock on the spare so people couldn't take the spare off and steal the backup camera...

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Mopar performance rails as a step..kinda. Since I have a rubicon it sits a bit higher than a Sahara. Also, I'm 5'10', so in the weird height where the Rubicon is just a tad bit higher where I need to kind of slide over in and out of the seat. I find myself sometimes just trying to set my foot down and then I can feel my leg or pants rub on the rail...happens with both rails. I'm now changing the way I enter and exit by using the rail as a helping step. So, it's not a true step in the sense that it sits a bit lower that then the jeep and I can truly just step on it and walk out...it's more of a helping step where I set my foot on it and slightly push off on it as I exit. Hard to explain, but it's working.

I think we're all jumping to some conclusions here on what the dealer added to your purchase. I don't think the term add to my monthly payment is clear. Any add-ons would have to be incorporated into your total purchase price and then financed. If you don't mind, can you post your purchase agreement or just the details of it. I think that way we can all provide you better feedback on what the dealer gave you. I think bottom line is we're all saying any thing like paint protection, undercoating, leather protection, etc is all unnecessary and pure dealer profit. Now, the maxcare extended warranty is worth it, but don't overpay for it.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
nitro-fill...again was this included or added on for an additional cost. If you're going to wheel the rig then you'll need to air-down your tires depending on the terrain. This pretty much negates nitrogen fill as you'll be letting all the nitrogen out of your tires and filling it back up with air. Also, some studies have been done and the benefits of nitrogen filled tires are negligible.

Firemedicsparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have been happy with the 79% nitrogen blend that is available for free.
Damnit, I have been getting shorted a full 1% of Nitrogen.....I like to use the 78/21/1 mixture. The extra 1% of Argon, Carbon Dioxide and Methane gives me that extra trail ready experience.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I didn't get the wheel lock either. Checked a few others in the parking lot and no wheel lock. Maybe it will ship with the Off Road Pages.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I didn't get any wheel locks...but I did get a headliner. LOL?

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
^What JTopsUSA said!

From another angle isn't it odd that they spend so much time trying to sell the warranty? I spent as long in the finance office as I did getting the dealer tour of my new vehicle. Plus I politely let him do the warranty spiel for a couple minutes, then just told him I was not interested in any additional warranty. Then he said ok and kept working...lol...turned his monitor at me to show how he was going to give me an extra deal for that warranty.

LOL, they must make a !%#@ ton off them spending so much effort to push them.

Also add me to the list of trying one once and then having nothing that broke get covered.

My gambles have paid off without.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Wow... I thought they ALL came with a wheel lock on the spare so people couldn't take the spare off and steal the backup camera...
I just picked mine up and it has a lock on the spare, unlock socket was in the glove compartment. That miss should never had made it through quality inspection. I know because I was the quality control manager in Toledo!

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
I didn’t get a spare tire lock either, just looked up my build sheet and it lists one

A4E1B602-1E8E-414F-AA7F-6B8F90C3830F.jpeg
Haven’t received my Jeep yet. JLU Rubi. My build sheet does not list the tire lock got the spare.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Hi. Yes. Charging for the paint protector. It was part of an extra warranty they talked us into. What is the issue with the Extra? Is it harmful to the paint? We're they yanking our chain about how good it is? They made it part of our deal. Please provide thoughts on this. Extra warranty for the interior too. I will look in the morning for that tool bag. I don't think we have in the Jeep the red bag that showed in the build order on line that holds tools.
It's not that it's harmful to the paint, it's more that it's just not worth the money. It's basically a teflon spray that they spray the body and insides with. That teflon coating is basically just a glorified wax coating. It's not going to protect against any actual damage like paint chips from small road rocks or people opening their doors on your body, etc.

For a bit extra, you can actually take your car in to a shop where they can wrap the vital areas with the clear 3M tape. Now THAT will actually protect your finish from rock chips and such.
Sponsored