Sponsored

Just took delivery! First thoughts from a first time Jeep owner.

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Thanks to the actions of my amazing dealership, I was able to take delivery on my ordered JLUR last night!

My first Jeep... heck, my first vehicle that wasn't a GM.

This thing feels rock solid, everything about it looks and feels like quality. I feel like I'm driving a tank (in a good way). I've already put over 200 miles on it--and I haven't even had to make excuses to find reasons to go out to the store yet.

Some things that seemed unclear to me for the last month or so of reading the forums until I picked up my own:

I got the all weather floor mats, which do not have the red Jeep logo. I don't think I mind one way or another as it's on the floor and there are plenty of other red accents throughout. Also, they came installed, in place, but I noticed the drain plugs were not in them, and they didn't sit flush. The carpet beneath for the drain plugs were not cut out and the plugs were still in the bottom of the floor. It was a few seconds to fix--most of the holes are already cut.

I don't mind the red dash at all. I think it shows up a LOT more prominently in the CG renderings on the Jeep.com site and perhaps in photos which use lighting as well. It's more of a burnt red/subdued color.

I'm also surprised that the auto start/stop system doesn't bother me either. When I first heard about it being in the JL and many people here being unhappy with it, I worried it would bug me. I honestly forget it's there unless I'm thinking about it. The process to kick back on is faster than the time it takes me to take my foot off the brake and place it on the gas pedal.

Android Auto is fantastic and I don't know how I ever lived without it! My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a way to pause playback on audio sources through it (Google Music, Audible Audiobooks, Podcasts). If I use voice commands to pause playback, it stops it fully and closes the (music/audiobook/podcast) app. Am I missing something?

I, like everyone else, currently have no offroad pages on the main 8.4" display and eagerly awaiting those to be added back in on a flash update. I really hope they keep the GPS coords. as a display option there.

I haven't been able to find the splices/heat shrink pack that comes when you get the AUX switches--are these hidden in the vehicle somewhere? It's not a big deal--I have more of those type of things lying around than I know what to do with from other hobbies--mostly just curiosity.

I have the hard top with headliner. It's definitely louder to drive on the highway than other vehicles I've owned, but I wouldn't say it's "loud." Plenty quiet to have a normal volume conversation with anyone else in the vehicle, front or back seats.

The LED headlights are bright as heck! Though no one has flashed their own high beams at me to yell at me for them yet, and most of my driving has been at night so far.

On purely highway driving, 65-68mph, relatively flat roads, I was getting 21-22mpg. Once I got into the stop/go traffic off the highway for the second half of my drive, it dropped down, but my trip average is still 18-19. I'm going to count this as a win because it's barely less than I get in my car.

I'm finding all sorts of little things about the design that just show how much thought went into the details such as the little plastic clip in the back to hold the electrical connector and washer fluid hose when you take the top off.

This waving at other wrangler owners you pass is really a thing. I've heard about it, but only today experienced it... and then experienced it again.... and again.... and again... and again. I almost got tired of having to wave. =P

I'm also drawing a lot of attention... I don't think there are many JLs in the area yet. I've only seen two others since they first started being delivered and both times I was on the interstate.

Overall, very happy. I'm smiling every time I drive it, even on my way to work. I hope my car doesn't get jealous, but I'll be sticking to the Jeep for the next week or so. I can't wait for nicer weather so I can start taking parts off of it. =D

-Jim

IMG_20180227_183454.jpg
AWESOME JEEP!!!! Enjoy it and have fun driving it. Do not forget to wave.
Sponsored

Jmjermaz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Thanks to the actions of my amazing dealership, I was able to take delivery on my ordered JLUR last night!

This thing feels rock solid, everything about it looks and feels like quality. I feel like I'm driving a tank (in a good way). I've already put over 200 miles on it--and I haven't even had to make excuses to find reasons to go out to the store yet.

Some things that seemed unclear to me for the last month or so of reading the forums until I picked up my own:

I got the all weather floor mats, which do not have the red Jeep logo. I don't think I mind one way or another as it's on the floor and there are plenty of other red accents throughout. Also, they came installed, in place, but I noticed the drain plugs were not in them, and they didn't sit flush. The carpet beneath for the drain plugs were not cut out and the plugs were still in the bottom of the floor. It was a few seconds to fix--most of the holes are already cut.

I don't mind the red dash at all. I think it shows up a LOT more prominently in the CG renderings on the Jeep.com site and perhaps in photos which use lighting as well. It's more of a burnt red/subdued color.

I'm also surprised that the auto start/stop system doesn't bother me either. When I first heard about it being in the JL and many people here being unhappy with it, I worried it would bug me. I honestly forget it's there unless I'm thinking about it. The process to kick back on is faster than the time it takes me to take my foot off the brake and place it on the gas pedal.

Android Auto is fantastic and I don't know how I ever lived without it! My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a way to pause playback on audio sources through it (Google Music, Audible Audiobooks, Podcasts). If I use voice commands to pause playback, it stops it fully and closes the (music/audiobook/podcast) app. Am I missing something?

I, like everyone else, currently have no offroad pages on the main 8.4" display and eagerly awaiting those to be added back in on a flash update. I really hope they keep the GPS coords. as a display option there.

I haven't been able to find the splices/heat shrink pack that comes when you get the AUX switches--are these hidden in the vehicle somewhere? It's not a big deal--I have more of those type of things lying around than I know what to do with from other hobbies--mostly just curiosity.

I have the hard top with headliner. It's definitely louder to drive on the highway than other vehicles I've owned, but I wouldn't say it's "loud." Plenty quiet to have a normal volume conversation with anyone else in the vehicle, front or back seats.

The LED headlights are bright as heck! Though no one has flashed their own high beams at me to yell at me for them yet, and most of my driving has been at night so far.

On purely highway driving, 65-68mph, relatively flat roads, I was getting 21-22mpg. Once I got into the stop/go traffic off the highway for the second half of my drive, it dropped down, but my trip average is still 18-19. I'm going to count this as a win because it's barely less than I get in my car.

I'm finding all sorts of little things about the design that just show how much thought went into the details such as the little plastic clip in the back to hold the electrical connector and washer fluid hose when you take the top off.

This waving at other wrangler owners you pass is really a thing. I've heard about it, but only today experienced it... and then experienced it again.... and again.... and again... and again. I almost got tired of having to wave. =P

I'm also drawing a lot of attention... I don't think there are many JLs in the area yet. I've only seen two others since they first started being delivered and both times I was on the interstate.

Overall, very happy. I'm smiling every time I drive it, even on my way to work. I hope my car doesn't get jealous, but I'll be sticking to the Jeep for the next week or so. I can't wait for nicer weather so I can start taking parts off of it. =D

-Jim

IMG_20180227_183454.jpg
It looks great, I’m waiting for mine as this will be my first Jeep. Thanks for the post.

nmatkin

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (Silver) and 2018 JL Rubicon (Black)
We just took delivery of his/hers black/silver JL Rubicon 4 doors on March 2nd. We traded in 2014 his/hers black/silver Rubicon X Wrangler Unlimiteds and were worried we wouldn't like the new ones as much. Worries are gone. From the shifter to the on-road dynamics to the Apple CarPlay and better sound deadening, these things drive like dreams. Jeep did this right.

Now the big debate is whether to get the two inch lift and 35s on Fuel tires. We had the same on our 14's and they were D-rated - thinking about going to the E-rated 10 ply on new 35's. We go out to Big Bend every year and rock climb. Need to save the pennies for a while so they will be bone stock for a bit.

Glad you are enjoying your first Jeep!

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl

-Jim

IMG_20180227_183454.jpg
Congrats

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I'll have to settle for doorless and "Freedom Panel" topless for a while. Living in an apartment doesn't give much room to store the rear half of the hardtop.
I here you there. We're in a 2 bedroom condo and the only way it we're able to do the dual top thing currently with our JK is by storing the tops in our off site storage unit when the seasons change.

Sponsored

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
Good review.. This will be our first Jeep. We are stuck in the 2 door waiting vortex. This gives me hope that it will be worth the wait.

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hah! I'm looking forward to this. There's a large number of Jeeps where I work, so I'm interested in seeing how early in the season people start taking things off.

I'll have to settle for doorless and "Freedom Panel" topless for a while. Living in an apartment doesn't give much room to store the rear half of the hardtop.

I had an "interesting" drive last night, 8 hour (normally 35 minutes) drive home from work due to bridges in the area being shut down due to weather. I was doing quite a bit of country driving in the southern half of PA on winding hilly and sometimes dirt roads trying to get around fallen trees and closed roads. I'm claiming this as my Jeep's first adventure, even if not planned. Hah!

Good thing you were in the Jeep!

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats and nice write up.

brexit

First Name
frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Occupation
designer
Lucky you are! Congrats

Sponsored

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23

-Jim

IMG_20180227_183454.jpg
Beautiful rig Jim, and congrats!

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
Congrats! Can’t wait to experience all of this myself for the first time!

Hazmater911

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR, Silver, 2006 TJ (for sale)
I purchased my TJ as an extra vehicle to pull behind our Motorhome. It ended up that my TJ became my stress reliever. I drive it anywhere I can. My suburban was only driven if I needed to haul things. The suburban overall was one of the most comfortable and useful vehicles I ever owned but could not compete with my Jeep. I sold my 10 year old suburban and my JL unlimited will become my Jeep-burban. :handsinair:
Until you own a jeep, you’ll never really understand the feeling.
Welcome to the club.:champagne:
OlllllllO - soon O)IIIII(O