Sponsored

Just threw a CEL P00AF code at 7100 miles. Update: This is a major issue!!!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Ram has a MUCH larger engine bay, and even still you can just barely see the turbo. I've done a lot of work including engine replacements, installing headers on Camaros where there is NO space to work, etc. When I look at what it would take to replace a turbo on this Gen 3 EcoDiesel, I have nightmares. I cannot imagine that the Wrangler would be easier. In fact, probably harder. Removing the body bolts and lifting the body off the frame is extremely common on diesel pickups, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them do that on the Wrangler as well.

So now we've seen:

EGR failures
CAC hose failures
Timing cover failures
At least 2 blown engines
Turbo replacement?

On an engine that's been on the market for less than 12 months.....

I already am thinking about what I'm going to replace mine with once I reach the end of bumper to bumper warranty. There are too many parts that are not considered "powertrain" on these.
Sponsored

bibanul

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Diesel
Just got one too under similar conditions BUT i noticed more correlation with an aborted regen cycle. So mine has 15k miles and did this first time. The sequence of events:

• Left for the weekend about 250 miles away, I was close to a regen, it did the regen probably 20 miles in
  • got to my mountain destination and ran around trails for a few days, I monitor sooth level with Torque. I saw it got to 70% so I knew another regen is coming.
  • my wife takes the jeep for a run around town and probably the regen started and she killed it by parking etc. I noticed when I drove it next that the sooth reported to 100% but active regen not coming on after engine warmed up and I had highway speed. This is in general normal since an interrupted regen still cleans SOME of the sooth level but the torque PID still reports it 100% full (once regen started and stopped).
  • On my return trip I was thinking it will regen once I get going... but NO, it did not, I have no idea how much sooth the previous stopped regen got to burn down, so probably that still kept building back to the 70% or so when it triggers an active regen again. Plus highway driving also passively clears some sooth on its own.
  • going up the highway, it was about 90F, Coolant was 235F, boost at max 18-20 psi and I was going 80mph uphill on a nice grade, the CEL came on, ETC was illuminated too, got into Limp mode and down to 45 Mph.
  • pulled over scanned for codes quick and got the P00AF active. I turned off the engine and gave it few minutes
  • restarted, only the CEL stayed on but the rest was normal (no ETC light) and also I was able to resume driving without limp. I got home and scheduled a dealer visit. The next morning CEL cleared itself (after few start stop cycles that evening probably). the P00AF code was stored but "inactive". Regen still DID NOT occur.

Dealer took it and just forced a regen, code is gone, all back to normal. No other codes.

What I think happened:
  • The partial regen was not enough to also clear the turbo of "varnish / soot". there seems to be some misalignment between soot estimate from Turbo and DPF, while DPF was ok with the partial soot burned, the turbo was clearly not.
  • Hence under maximum stress (max boost, engine temp, EGT max 1250F) it did throw CEL/P00AF.

Still this is a weakness / edge case that FCA should consider. Probably an early regen should be kicked in if the PCM detect such condition. Now I know if this happens again I will manually trigger an active regen with AlfaOBD.

Anyone knows of a PID or a way to estimate what would be buildup in Turbo and DPF? I heard is mainly using the inlet/outlet pressure sensor drop/differential. I was monitoring the DPF drop but I can't find a clear correlation, it ranges from 1-2 psi to 10 psi and depending on how hard you press the acceleration / boost. What actually makes the PCM trigger that regen, what sensors or algorithm?

Cheers!

bibanul

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Diesel
Just got one too under similar conditions BUT i noticed more correlation with an aborted regen cycle. So mine has 15k miles and did this first time. The sequence of events:
and then again, second time CEL and P00AF surprisingly driving the exactly same portion of the I-80 climbing. This time I have full Torque OBD logs, when it went into limp I can see the Commanded Boost at 25 psi and measured by sensor is 15 psi. But this is after entered limp, however prior to that i can't pinpoint what might have caused it? and why after turning the engine off for 1 min and restarting all is back to normal (except CEL is on). Also the code moved to "historical" and no longer active and after 2 days and 3 more start stop cycles the CEL is gone. This time the CEL was set when DPF was at 10% full, literally just did a regen the day before.

Dealer says they will open up a case with FCA tech to aid in troubleshooting. For the data geeks out there take a look at the OBD log (logged every 1 second) and let me know what you think. The issue starts at the Green line, timestamp 19:38:22. Some columns are hidden (that I thought not essential). also some more rows are too. https://bit.ly/jeepturbo (it's a link to google sheets)

Cheers!

THorner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Diesel, 79 J10, 06 XLR, Ducati 999 & ST4
Occupation
Retired
I know this is an older thread but I just had the same issue at 41,500 miles. Driving across Texas I had a CEL as well as numerous other warning lights together with a loss of power. Pulled to the side of the road and shut down and restarted. CEL remained on but other warnings gone and power restored. After several restarts I went to the closest Jeep dealer. They advised code P00AF, performed a star publication 52018000009 procedure and updated PCM to 68501372AG. That lasted 250 miles after which I continued on to my destination in Arizona stopping and starting as necessary to keep going. The dealer in Arizona diagnosed the same code and ultimately performed a body off replacement of the turbocharger assembly under warranty. According to the write up on the service ticket the failure was the Turbo actuator not operating smoothly. The actuator was observed to be operating erratically and thus the code and loss of power. Luckily for me Jeep covered the repair under warranty. From what I understand the actuator soots up and sticks resulting in erratic movement and codes. I still need to find out what the actuator is and what it does. All this took 3 weeks, missed wheeling with my friends and ended up spending my vacation stranded in a campground. Got the Jeep back and beat feet 2,660 miles home, luckily with no further problems.

OP
OP
Pmccammon00

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
You still may have dodged a bullet. They must have updated their service routine since our problem. As I indicated earlier they pulled the cab off and replaced the entire assembly. I can’t imagine how long we would to wait for parts today vs back in 2020. Can’t imagine our problem was due to soot build up at 7100 miles. Good luck in the future. I still want to love this engine but have a real uneasy feeling every time we start off on a big trip.

THorner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Diesel, 79 J10, 06 XLR, Ducati 999 & ST4
Occupation
Retired
You still may have dodged a bullet. They must have updated their service routine since our problem. As I indicated earlier they pulled the cab off and replaced the entire assembly. I can’t imagine how long we would to wait for parts today vs back in 2020. Can’t imagine our problem was due to soot build up at 7100 miles. Good luck in the future. I still want to love this engine but have a real uneasy feeling every time we start off on a big trip.
They pulled the body on mine too and replaced the whole assembly. Took 3 weeks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just threw a CEL P00AF code at 7100 miles. Update:  This is a major issue!!! cSFNiz
Sponsored