Sponsored

Just threw a CEL P00AF code at 7100 miles. Update: This is a major issue!!!

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
Darn I want to love this engine but now have second CEL. Code P00AF came up with directions to a possible Turbo Charger issue. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Darn I want to love this engine but now have second CEL. Code P00AF came up with directions to a possible Turbo Charger issue. Anyone else have this problem?
You stock engine or any mods?

P00AF I've seen caused by a leak post-turbo that leads to the PCM not seeing the boost it expects and throwing the code you mention.

OP
OP
Pmccammon00

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
You stock engine or any mods?

P00AF I've seen caused by a leak post-turbo that leads to the PCM not seeing the boost it expects and throwing the code you mention.
Engine is stock, have added some accessories, winch, on board air compressor, and a couple of lights, but nothing to the engine. I did have first oil change about 1k miles ago. Understand there may be some engine air intake parts required to be temporarily removed to get to oil filter, but dont have a clue of what the dealer actually did. Going into dealer for a more precise and official diagnostic test today. Will post results.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Engine is stock, have added some accessories, winch, on board air compressor, and a couple of lights, but nothing to the engine. I did have first oil change about 1k miles ago. Understand there may be some engine air intake parts required to be temporarily removed to get to oil filter, but dont have a clue of what the dealer actually did. Going into dealer for a more precise and official diagnostic test today. Will post results.
On the Wrangler application, the airbox is (stupidly) placed on the driver side, directly covering up all access to the oil filter. The ductwork going from the airbox to the turbo was likely removed to do the oil change. It's possible they didn't tighten some of the clamps when they reinstalled. I'd check that first.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pmccammon00

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Update: Just heard back from the dealer and this is MAJOR problem. Not only is the repair job extensive, it's a parts problem too. I may need to give the parts department a thumbs up effort for finding all the parts through various means as opposed to the complete Turbo Charger assembly. Best estimate is that they will need two weeks to complete this repair. One thing to note is the repair requires them to "pull the cabin" which has us worried that they have the expertise to get this job completed without issues. My wife and I have come to the conclusion that maybe we made a mistake in going the diesel route. One more CEL and it's Adios to Rubi 2.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Update: Just heard back from the dealer and this is MAJOR problem. Not only is the repair job extensive, it's a parts problem too. I may need to give the parts department a thumbs up effort for finding all the parts through various means as opposed to the complete Turbo Charger assembly. Best estimate is that they will need two weeks to complete this repair. One thing to note is the repair requires them to "pull the cabin" which has us worried that they have the expertise to get this job completed without issues. My wife and I have come to the conclusion that maybe we made a mistake in going the diesel route. One more CEL and it's Adios to Rubi 2.
This makes no sense at all. There is nothing that could have gone wrong that would require to "pull the cabin."

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
This makes no sense at all. There is nothing that could have gone wrong that would require to "pull the cabin."
Ever pull a turbo out of the valley on a V engine? The engine bay looks awfully cramped on these 3.0L Wranglers.

I'm not saying they are right and the whole tub will have to come off, but I could see that being the case.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Ever pull a turbo out of the valley on a V engine? The engine bay looks awfully cramped on these 3.0L Wranglers.

I'm not saying they are right and the whole tub will have to come off, but I could see that being the case.
The shop manual for the JLUD says the turbos can be replaced in the vehicle (6 hours). Looking at the engine bay it doesn't look like anything is restricted to prevent access to the entire valley area (once you remove a bunch of stuff). On some BMW's and Audi's it gets difficult as the engine is back under the cowl and windshield base. But the Jeep doesn't have such an overhang.

If they need to pull the tub this would be a serious reason to not purchase a JLUD as it means post-warranty repairs will be even more insane $$$$$.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Any update as of this week?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
On the Wrangler application, the airbox is (stupidly) placed on the driver side, directly covering up all access to the oil filter. The ductwork going from the airbox to the turbo was likely removed to do the oil change. It's possible they didn't tighten some of the clamps when they reinstalled. I'd check that first.
One more reason NOT to get a 3.0...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pmccammon00

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any update as of this week?
She goes in Tuesday for an estimated 3 day repair job. Won't get back until the end of the week. I'm going to make sure the service manager tells me exactly what failed after they get it apart. I wish I had an exploded parts list so I could understand how this turbo charger works and where the likely points of failure may be.