Sponsored

Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want?

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
agreed - turn to off then quickly back to ACC. you may be able to set the options to keep power on for 30/60/etc seconds after you turn off the jeep. then when you get back to ACC it should still have the bluetooth connected. not sure what happens when you restart though.

curious about the "sling" you have for the camera? been looking for a solution beside resting the camera on top of the hand brake.... do you have photos of the sling/harness you use?

I know everyone hates the ESS and there are many methods of disabling it, from pushing the off button to rewiring the batteries.

I have a unique need. I take a lot of photography and one of the genres is wildlife. There are many times I've spotted an animal/bird/whatever as I'm driving.

I keep a long lensed camera hanging between my front seats in a homemade sling. When I stop and the ESS kicks on it makes it nicer to shoot out my windows.

Naturally the sound disturbing the subject is part of my wanting to turn ESS on, the main reason is so that I can HEAR better.

I can get get pretty focused on what I'm doing. I like being able to easily hear other vehicles coming. Usually I'm on rural gravel roads but it's very hilly/twisting terrain and I've been caught by surprise before. Silence is good.

So, and I know that this is counter to everything in the forums here, is there a way to wire the ESS to an AUX switch or somewhere that can turn the ESS on?

I don't want to just shutdown the vehicle using the ignition. I may have to shoot and scoot and it also disconnects the bluetooth connection between my phone and system.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
curious about the "sling" you have for the camera? been looking for a solution beside resting the camera on top of the hand brake.... do you have photos of the sling/harness you use?
I took a strap from an old portable DVD player. It was from forever ago and hung the player between the front seats. So basically a long strap that goes around the headrest support bars. From that hang two clips scavenged from camping gear. I took a Lowepro toploader style bag and hung it from the should strap attachment loops. I used a Velcro cable management loop to attach the carry handle to the support strap.

The most important thing is that I can only use this if the backseat is down. I have a clip attached to one of the child seat safety attachment points on the back of the seat. It connects to the loop found on the bottom corners of the bag that are usually used to secure it to your thigh. Without this attachment the bag will swing around and dump the camera body.

Attached are some photos where you can kind of see it. It's an old blue version of the 75 Pro.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? IMG_20200916_181505

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? IMG_20200819_195222

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? IMG_20200813_120254

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
Great photos!!!!!!
You got skills dude :like:

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

The diesel clatter wouldn’t let you get within 100 feet of a deaf bird.
Nonsense. With this handy device I invented (patent pending), just fill with seed, and the bird always come right to me no matter the vehicle I drive up in. Squirrels and Raccoons too, but I highly recommend you do not startle them or make eye contact.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? 1606437537477

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
As others have said, you can set accessory power off delay so your bluetooth won't disconnect as long you don't open the door. But the power is interrupted when you start your engine.

I have an aftermarket stereo with an iDatalink Maestro adapter. This adapter has a setting whereby accessory power is not interrupted when you start the engine which I really like. I know this is not an easy solution but I figured I'd share anyway.

I don't think it does currently but maybe it would be possible for the Tazer to program the same function. You would have to request it for a future update.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The greatest chances for ESS to engage, and remain in that state without it prematurely ending before you take your foot off the brake, without changing out equipment under the hood, is to place the vehicle on a trickle charger when at rest, and when you come upon wildlife you wish to photograph, turn off as many accessories as you can, especially climate control, to make the ESS engage, and last as long as possible.

I like the idea above of turning off the rig, and then pressing the start button with your foot off the brake once (accessory mode) or twice (on mode with no engine cranked) to give you the accessory power that you need.

I suppose you can acquire the Genesis dual battery system, which will be more likely to get you into, and keep you in an ESS event, but only 6 times for each cold crank of the engine. The 3.6L JL has a safety mechanism where if it detects identical voltages in both batteries after 6 ESS events within a cold engine crank, it thinks something is broken and disables ESS until you shut off the vehicle with the start button, and re-crank the engine.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
awesome, thanks for sharing!

I took a strap from an old portable DVD player. It was from forever ago and hung the player between the front seats. So basically a long strap that goes around the headrest support bars. From that hang two clips scavenged from camping gear. I took a Lowepro toploader style bag and hung it from the should strap attachment loops. I used a Velcro cable management loop to attach the carry handle to the support strap.

The most important thing is that I can only use this if the backseat is down. I have a clip attached to one of the child seat safety attachment points on the back of the seat. It connects to the loop found on the bottom corners of the bag that are usually used to secure it to your thigh. Without this attachment the bag will swing around and dump the camera body.

Attached are some photos where you can kind of see it. It's an old blue version of the 75 Pro.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I know everyone hates the ESS and there are many methods of disabling it, from pushing the off button to rewiring the batteries.

I have a unique need. I take a lot of photography and one of the genres is wildlife. There are many times I've spotted an animal/bird/whatever as I'm driving.

I keep a long lensed camera hanging between my front seats in a homemade sling. When I stop and the ESS kicks on it makes it nicer to shoot out my windows.

Naturally the sound disturbing the subject is part of my wanting to turn ESS on, the main reason is so that I can HEAR better.

I can get get pretty focused on what I'm doing. I like being able to easily hear other vehicles coming. Usually I'm on rural gravel roads but it's very hilly/twisting terrain and I've been caught by surprise before. Silence is good.

So, and I know that this is counter to everything in the forums here, is there a way to wire the ESS to an AUX switch or somewhere that can turn the ESS on?

I don't want to just shutdown the vehicle using the ignition. I may have to shoot and scoot and it also disconnects the bluetooth connection between my phone and system.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Stone Me: Any way to turn ESS ON when I want? 1606437537477

First off, I’m an enthusiast photographer and I must say, those are VERY beautifully composed images.
regarding the ESS, it is a very complicated and computerized system and one cannot just wire up a relay switch to force it to engage. My suggestion would be to ensure all the requirements for ESS are active (seatbelt on, AC off, etc) and then when you come to a full stop, the ESS with activate on its own.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Like I said, I don't want to delay getting moving anymore than I have to, and the bluetooth disconnects. While that last is not a huge issue, it's distracting.
I don't about you, but my bluetooth keeps working for a minute or so. You can simply press the button twice and you're in accessory. Much easier than going through a checklist or whatever you're trying to do.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I haven't tested it to be sure, but it's happened twice to me now. If, form the engine running, I shift to Neutral and power the jeep off, with my foot on the brake, it puts me straight into accessory mode without having to press the power button twice. That should keep Bluetooth active and connected until you restart the Jeep.
Sponsored