Just sayin' ESS complaint

Gengispecan

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door jl Rubicon
I've found the best way to solve ESS problems is to turn it off every time I start the engine. As Joseph Stalin famously said "No ESS, no problem'' :giggle:

Cwg33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2024 2-door Willy’s
I have it. Works great. No side effects.
I forgot many times to disable the ESS in the first few weeks of ownership Now, don’t have to think about it with the SmartStopStart. I know some have balked at the price, but for the $130 dollars spent it will have paid for itself many times over in a couple of years. It now works how the Jeep should have from the factory.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I forgot many times to disable the ESS in the first few weeks of ownership Now, don’t have to think about it with the SmartStopStart. I know some have balked at the price, but for the $130 dollars spent it will have paid for itself many times over in a couple of years. It now works how the Jeep should have from the factory.
I hear your sentiments on this. Perhaps you feel ESS should have been designed by FCA as latching: in other words retain its state of being disabled, once the button is pressed, across (cold, as opposed to ESS) starts and stops.

Doing so though would have met less EPA CAFE standards, raising the price of the rig for all.

Just sayin...

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Owners of tech that disable ESS: I ask this seriously, not judgmentally.

For me, I could see getting use to pressing the Start Engine and ESS disable button as habit if I didn't want ESS. Maybe you could too if you didn't, for example, drive 5 different vehicles with different configurations. (i.e. a fair retort and again not a judgmental statement.)

For me--and again--I only speak for myself--the tech is a little bit like replacing the manual light switch in my home bathroom with one that automatically turns the lights on or off in there with motion sensor technology.

I completely respect your right to feel differently, and that you $ was well spent on such tech, even if it had cost more $.

In fairness, I keep ESS enabled so perhaps I'm not one to talk. It may be frustrating for you when it engaged, prior to such tech, when you forgot to disable it.
Sponsored