Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
It's come up before, but how hard would it be for FCA to reprogram how the JL operates, with merely a software download, such that a vehicle in ESS, and then shifted into Park, remains in ESS and doesn't start up, unless the rig is taken out of Park.

Maybe there is a reason for this, but it seems such a waste to pull into a parking spot, have the engine turn off under ESS, switch the rig into Park, and have the engine start again only to press the button to turn the rig off.
Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
How long do you sit in the parking spot with your foot on brake before shifting into park? I've never had mine shut off with the ESS when parking before I could shift into park...

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I know what you're saying @Rahneld - if I stop and ESS turns the engine off, but then I shift to Park why does the engine start again? I get @SouthCo questioning it, but sometimes it only takes a split-second after I stop for the engine to turn off. Seems kinda dumb.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
This frustrates me so much. Our driveway is an incline, so if I forget to turn off the ess as I turn in, 9/10 times it will turn off and back on. I like the ess feature for regular driving but this is frustrating. I thought I read about a way to fool the system (pushing the start/stop button or opening the door) but can’t find it now.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I’ve found that keeping light pressure on the brake after stopping keeps the ESS from stopping the engine. It is so annoying to have it turn off and on in the garage.

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Simple solution, unfasten your seat belt before you shift to park. ESS won’t engage without the seatbelt being fastened.

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
1. Depress brake & push the start button.
2. Press the ESS off button
3. Seatbelt on
4. Put in gear

So, far this has worked 100% of the time. It is a horrible feature, but it would be much worse if you couldn't turn it off by pressing a button or using a programmer.

Jeep-ESS-Disable-Button-678x381.jpg

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
I've found that you can fool ESS by turning the steering wheel appx.15 or 20 degrees or raising the parking brake handle. I hate this feature]ESS]

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's come up before, but how hard would it be for FCA to reprogram how the JL operates, with merely a software download, such that a vehicle in ESS, and then shifted into Park, remains in ESS and doesn't start up, unless the rig is taken out of Park.

Maybe there is a reason for this, but it seems such a waste to pull into a parking spot, have the engine turn off under ESS, switch the rig into Park, and have the engine start again only to press the button to turn the rig off.
This alone, makes the tazer jl mini one of my best purchases for my rig. There are several things I use the tazer for, but the ability to get in my rig and not have to think about ess....... priceless......:)

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

I actually found a way around this issue(from another forum member)

So this is what you do:
-You pull into parking spot in D
-ESS will kick in when you brake
-While foot still on the brake, open your door
-Shift into P
-Vehicle will not restart, but instead be in on/run mode.
-Pull E-Brake, foot off brake
-Push start button to turn off Jeep completely.

You’re welcome.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
How in the heck did you figure this specific combination out?!? I have a feeling you were the kid who first discovered the "up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A" trick on original Nintendo.
I actually found a way around this issue(from another forum member)

So this is what you do:
-You pull into parking spot in D
-ESS will kick in when you brake
-While foot still on the brake, open your door
-Shift into P
-Vehicle will not restart, but instead be in on/run mode.
-Pull E-Brake, foot off brake
-Push start button to turn off Jeep completely.

You’re welcome.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
ESS works best with the 6MT, since you have total control. ESS won't turn off the engine unless you are in neutral with your foot off the clutch and foot on the brake. If you know the light is about to change or whatever, just keep clutch in and the engine won't turn off.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
How in the heck did you figure this specific combination out?!? I have a feeling you were the kid who first discovered the "up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A" trick on original Nintendo.
Haha, yes I was almost that kid.
As for this trick, it exploits the auto-park feature of the vehicle, that will shift to park without actually tripping the starter of the vehicle.

blue_rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If possible, try backing in to your garage (and most parking spots). ESS doesn't seem to kick in for me. But I also haven't had my doors on for months so maybe that's contributing as well (if part of the hack is to open your door to keep ESS from kicking while parking,etc).

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How long do you sit in the parking spot with your foot on brake before shifting into park? I've never had mine shut off with the ESS when parking before I could shift into park...
Fair. How's about this one. Put foot on brake about to back into my driveway, but don't stick the rig in reverse until the coast's clear to reverse.

Perhaps I should get use to putting the rig in reverse first, and then check for clearance (seriously saying).
Sponsored