Just saw my first Jeep 4xe

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Title of thread was changed, it was originally something to the lines of, "Saw my First Wrangler-Prius in the wild," Which lead to completely different topics then the current title is. Its been changed in a misleading way. After 10+pages and comparisons of throwing poop to the current conversations, pretty much everyone knows there's a stigma with Prius and hyphenating to a wrangler freed the path for where this lead.
Someone probably got butt hurt about calling it a Prius. Imagine the uproar if the OP had initially said "saw my first Jeep douchebuggy". Someone contact the admins, i'm offended! This too funny.
Sponsored

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
100% of leases will qualify for the tax credit. The bank claims the credit and passes it down to the the consumer with $7,500 off the purchase price. So even if you don't make enough money per year to owe $7,500 in taxes, you can take advantage of it through a lease.

My 11 reasons for getting the Rubicon 4xe:
1.) Better overall MPG when charging regularly, as the short trips in all electric add up to better lifetime MPG.
2.) Easy to zip around town with instant torque. Easy to go up hills with instant torque (there are some steep city streets in Los Angeles). Easy to accelerate on the freeway with all that instant torque and H.P.
3.) Don't have to cough up exhaust fumes when getting out of the car while it's running. Clear air is wonderful.
4.) You can drive silently when you want to. Into a campsite at night, or a driveway at night and not disturb anyone sleeping. Silent off-roading, listening to nature.
5.) Regen braking - to be able to capture energy is great. Every vehicle should have it.
6.) Gives you options. Low on gas? No problem, just charge at home and you can get to the gas station. Low on gas and electricity? Drive down a hill in Max regen mode and generate enough to get you a little further.
7.) Cheaper with the $9k in credits and rebates.
8.) The greenest Jeep to date - however, I can't claim it's totally green becasue it's still using lots of gasoline. With more city driving on all electric, more zero emission driving and less smog for the city. Clean Air is wonderful.
9.) You can charge at home, off of solar and not be dependent on the grid or gas stations to get around town.
10.) Better off-roading, being able to do 4-Low in all electric with instant torque. One pedal driving in max regen mode, while off-road.
11.) Can run stuff off the battery by plugging it into the 110 outlet, while camping, without the engine running.
Great list. Here's mine:

1. More HP and torque
2. More HP and torque
3. Can drive all-electric around town while recharging at night, saving money and the environment
4. Tax credits
5. Silent off-road driving. I only want to hear the gravel crunching under my tires
6. Can recharge the battery while on the road during longer trips
7. It's a step in the right direction regarding highly capable hybrids and EVs
7. Did I mention more HP and torque? šŸ˜Ž

Yes I'm taking a risk with new tech and I fully understand that. That's what the warranty is for. When the warranty is near running out I will likely get an extended warranty... if there have been a lot of problems. This is not the first plug-in hybrid Chrysler has made so that should help a bit šŸ¤ž

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Gas versus electric itā€™s looking like the manual versus the automatic. Manual people think every single person should own a manual. Electric vehicle proponents feel the same way , no tolerance for people who have a different opinion.

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Gas versus electric itā€™s looking like the manual versus the automatic. Manual people think every single person should own a manual. Electric vehicle proponents feel the same way , no tolerance for people who have a different opinion.
I agree with your premise but see it the other way... seems like lots of shade being thrown at the 4xe based on conjecture, fear and speculation about what might happen. There are enough Jeep models now for everyone to get what they want and one is not better than another. Itā€™s all based on the use case and preference.

Sponsored

LOANDBEHOLD.

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
#JeepPrius little harsh but I get it LOL
Just saw one of the lectric rubis out in the wild in a parking lot. I have to say Iā€™m not a fan of the blue accents everywhere. It is such a bright blue. I think it would be more fitting if it was a darker shade of blue.
šŸ¤” A Jirus??

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
(Begin short rant) - Whether its Auto v. Manual, Gas v. Electric, L v. R, anything v. anything, that seems to be the way of the world now..(?) It's the "If you don't agree with me you are wrong/cancel culture" mentality and it is out of control. Just had this confrontation with the in laws - (End of very short rant) Sorry about that.. back to Jeep things. How about that 4XE and 392 huh?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Said to see the absolute ignorance in people who don't understand how dangerous it is moving to one fuel source.
I definitely appreciate the point you are making here. It's funny though because I guess I've been looking at electrification as a way to actually improve things in that regard. That's simply based on the fact that there are so many ways to produce electricity. So maybe I am oversimplifying? Granted there are definitely improvements that need to be made to de-risk the current grid. But as I see more people generating local power via solar, storing locally with batteries, etc it gives me hope those improvements can eventually happen.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I don't think anyone would question that there are many different ways to create electricity.
It's the fact that that there is only One way to deliver it that gives pause.
And still more troubling is what it is going to COST to update/replace existing infrastructure for the entire country in order to get everyone on board with e-charging, else the system will perpetually be at risk. Who is going to pay for it, we are in one way or another.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I don't think anyone would question that there are many different ways to create electricity.
And still more troubling is what it is going to COST to update/replace existing infrastructure for the entire country in order to get everyone on board with e-charging, else the system will perpetually be at risk. Who is going to pay for it, we are in one way or another.

This is called Re-tooling, every business does it as an investment into their future and their consumers ultimately pay for it. If we cease to evolutionize how does that get quantified?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yeah I totally agree with that. That's really what I meant in the 2nd part of my post. I guess my point is that electricity feels like the least risky choice to feed into our vehicles specifically because it frees us from dependency on a specific form of generation. Therefor, given that, I think we should definitely be running at solving those problems you raise. I picture a much more distributed grid made up of lots of hyper local infrastructure. So says someone with no background in power grids! Haha

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Yeah I totally agree with that. That's really what I meant in the 2nd part of my post. I guess my point is that electricity feels like the least risky choice to feed into our vehicles specifically because it frees us from dependency on a specific form of generation. Therefor, given that, I think we should definitely be running at solving those problems you raise. I picture a much more distributed grid made up of lots of hyper local infrastructure. So says someone with no background in power grids! Haha

That is the real infrastructure issue, our electrical grids are stressed and at or near capacity, electric cars are going to be a major stressor to that. Look at most homes, full electric cars need a 50 amp circuit to efficiently charge, how many homes have 50 amps to spare, or even 30 amps for a Level 2 charger for a Hybrid. With the average home having a 200 amp service, it is going to be a challenge. I have a tesla and was able to find 50 amps available however I do not have a spare 30 amps for my new 4xe. There is no cheap easy fix for this I simply have to charge separately, doable but inconvenient. That is nothing compared to the electrical grids shortfalls for supply.

I will say owning a electric car when I need to go somewhere the car I drive for that task the decision is made based on economics, the Tesla is driven 90% of the time I have filled the Wrangler up only once this year (it is due now). Summer will change that as we will travel and wheel more and prefer the soft top in the warmer months. Still fuel type and cost heavily infused into our driving habits. My 2018 Wrangler purchased in Summer of 2018 only has 6900 miles on it of while just over 2500 are off road and forest service roads.

Since most of our local drive is 20 miles per trip or less we expect to put more miles on the 4xe..

Last edited:

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I definitely appreciate the point you are making here. It's funny though because I guess I've been looking at electrification as a way to actually improve things in that regard. That's simply based on the fact that there are so many ways to produce electricity. So maybe I am oversimplifying? Granted there are definitely improvements that need to be made to de-risk the current grid. But as I see more people generating local power via solar, storing locally with batteries, etc it gives me hope those improvements can eventually happen.
When we are intercity grids become efficient will be beyond great, when it is commonly generated at a local level. Until the majority of cities and towns can sustain their own energy supply it is dangerous to limit our options in the mean time. I apricate you see how I have never once said I'm against eclectic power. I'm not against battery powered vehicles either. It's not smart to keep marketing it as the way we are going to save out planet. People have to see what powers all this clean electricity, and how available it is. I've spent to much time in countries that did not have adequate power supply, it's a scary thing.

BINGO!!!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

You would pay for it no matter what. The reason you don't pay for it now is utility companies tend not to upgrade equipment until it's overburdened and antiquated. Look no further than TX for examples of what happens when you don't adequately provision and update your grid.

Electrification of transportation will continue to expand and enhance. You'll see more and more small-scale production brought online as well, as costs for wind and solar continue to drop/plummet.

You don't think that the current fossil fuel system was funded magically by "not us", do you?
Sponsored

Last edited: