jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
As far as future battery recycling:

Have you ever driven by a tire dump somewhere out in the rural countryside? I'm sure these dumps were created as an innocent temporary storage location in which the old rubber will eventually be properly recycled(?)

I predict that in the future, battery dumps too will be discovered somewhere out in the boonies. Cleaning these however may require an EPA Super-Fund level effort.

Some people will always find the cheapest disposal solutions independent of any recycle law (ethics be damned).

I'm certainly not advocating anything bad, just pointing out that you are indeed naive if you don 't at least expect this at some level.

We should do the best we can to support heavy metal and toxic element recycling and disposal. However, Captain Obvious here, the more expensive or complex the recycling solution the more we should expect the existence of undisclosed potentially pretty toxic battery dumps.

For many, the obvious answer will be to raise taxes and make it mandatory to replace batteries only at some government facility. Yuk squared.

Unintended consequences are always a by-product of perceived progress. I have yet to hear of any broad plan to accomplish EV battery recycling, even as we sell more and more of these things.

Jay
Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Just saw my first Jeep 4xe

And here I am thinking that I would see some cool pictures of a 4xe on this thread...

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Just saw my first Jeep 4xe

And here I am thinking that I would see some cool pictures of a 4xe on this thread...
Title of thread was changed, it was originally something to the lines of, "Saw my First Wrangler-Prius in the wild," Which lead to completely different topics then the current title is. Its been changed in a misleading way. After 10+pages and comparisons of throwing poop to the current conversations, pretty much everyone knows there's a stigma with Prius and hyphenating to a wrangler freed the path for where this lead.

Riviera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2022 WL75
Fwiw, the Hybrid battery kit for the 4xe is mopar part # 68488244AA and has an MSRP of $12,655, so for the moment, no theoretical cost is needed, it's established.

I agree people dump things where they aren't supposed to all the time, that's why 12v lead acid batteries have a core charge. The EPA does require dealerships to track who is picking up their batteries and tires and to keep the dealer having some skin in the game, the dealer is definitely responsible as they are considered the generator of the waste. These items have become much more regulated. The mopar hybrid battery in question is what's called an "exchange" order, meaning the old hybrid battery is sent back to Fca/Stellantis and they ultimately dispose of this battery. So in the case of the Mopar purchased replacement, I'm confident the disposal is above board. I don't think the argument that recycling process isn't foolproof carries much water. Fact is, battery production is ramping up and considering how intrusive regulators are, I'm confident the recycling process will catch up.

Again, I personally wouldn't buy one, but I understand the appeal to some

Sponsored

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Check out Engineering Explained's video on this.

This lets you see where the electricity in your state comes from.

In the end, they are Eco-groovy, usually.
Interesting facts about both vehicles. And your link with where electric energy is sourced from was great. In the Video it talked about after life emissions and your link showed where electric energy comes from. Both support what I've been saying, electric vehicles have their own emissions and not all of its sourced energy is clean. I know this is where the future, though I feel it is unacceptable leading people believe that the products they purchasing are "GREEN and come from clean energy." Is it cleaner, absolutely I have yet to dispute that. Awareness is key. 100 years from now there will be reusable energy that is so much more efficient, that future people will look back at see the current "Green" as a joke. Move in the right direction yes, clean energy no. Total picture awareness was my original point.
I do agree "In the end, they are Eco-groovy, usually." But the parts that make you say usually needs to be taught.
I will gladly "ENLIGHTEN" you

This is for full electric:

To Build
Electric car 12.2 Tons CO2
Gas Equivalent 7.4 Tons CO2
Net loss 4.8 Tons

At 20K Miles
Electric car 14.6 Tons CO2
Gas 14.5 Tons CO2
Net Loss 0.1 Tons CO2

at 200K miles
Electric car 36 Tons CO2
Gas 78 Tons CO2
net gain 42 Tons CO2

Over all CO2 reduction from Electric 37.1 Tons CO2

As you can see that is significant. Electric is an investment into the future. Batteries can be recycled and repurposed. Recycled electric car batteries will become integral components in future non automotive energy storage.
I read your post, apparently you didn't read mine. I said, "Please enlighten me on what comment was foolish." As you did post some nice numbers without a source, it was in response to nothing I said. I never once said that ICE vehicles produce less emissions, I did state that their effects would trump an ICE vehicles emissions. The way a lot of electric energy is gathered is down right dangerous. I did state as well they are not "GREEN" as advertised. So thank you for helping my point that they have their own emissions and are not free of a carbon foot print. You did forget to include afterlife emission from electric vehicles which make that overall CO2 reductions a smaller number. If not off set it if you want in include the toxic landfills where life well remain uninhabitable for how? If you want to call someone out read their post and make sure your calling someone out on something they said. :like: Everything I have said has been carefully worded as they are general statements that are facts; eclectic vehicle are not totally "Green" and that where they get their power from have their own lasting effects as well on the environment. All true. You on the other hand have just thrown out numbers and left the last part of their lasting Carbon footprint out of the equation. Would you mind throwing those numbers in and a source since your giving hard numbers?

***The title of this thread was not "Just saw my first Jeep 4xe," it used to be "I just saw my first Wrangler-Prius in the wild." I'm pretty sure if you like them or not everyone is aware that there is a stigma against Prius. I can't stand the their "GREEN" B.S. Hyphenating a Wrangler and a Prius opened that can of worms. If this post was "Just saw my first Jeep 4xe," I would have just read it like I do most all the new threads as a I am vehicle enthusiast, and left my ordinal post out. I do apologize to those opening this thread hoping to see 4xe pictures, as the new name has become misleading.***

Last edited:

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I'll take both! Buy one, get one free?
probably wouldn't be able to buy a 392 (now or in the future), had not the hybrid come along.

reminds me of porsche owners at the time, when they started making SUVs

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Yes but at What Cost?
I think he just wanted to get animated for a second. He proved my first point that people are forgetting about their after effects, which was half of my point. He also supported my second point, that they are not "Green," and still have a large carbon footprint. Maybe there was more he left out, when I get hyped up I often leave stuff out the total picture... you know almost like the "Green" hype.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

So 10 years down the line when the battery dies you just recycle the battery, punch the eSave button and the 4xE becomes just another 2.0 Rubicon????.
No, 10 years down the line, if your battery’s range/storage has gotten so bad as to need recycling, you replace the packs with newer, more energy dense, cheaper batteries, and continue to motor along.

Riviera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2022 WL75