Just saw my first Jeep 4xe

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
HUGE exaggeration there. Sorry, but as a guy who is a big fan of tech and electric motors, as well as a data nerd and still holding a high appreciation of gas/diesel engines...

The 4XE makes 6-7% more torque than his 3.0 diesel, though the 4XE should have instant torque and a better curve vs his diesel as an additional bonus. However, that's at 100% charge. The 4XE will lose 5% charge PER MILE when running on the battery (probably 7-8% in the real world, and 8-12% per mile in the cold winter), and with each % it loses, it will also lose torque. His diesel will have more torque within a couple minutes of the 4XE leaving home, and pull that torque all day long.

I'm not bashing either, but let's be real here.

You have NO concept of how electric Cars batteries work... Batteries will maintain nearly all of the torque until empty it is not like Wetcell batteries. Diesel torqe is not instant the motor has to build up, unlike electric it is constant and available on demand. When Wheeling use your electric as needed like you would Lockers. Just like I can argue that Limited Slip outperforms Lockers in 90% of off road terrain. My Telsa has just as much speed and torque whether 100% or 20% of battery. That is the beauty of Lith Batts they maintain power down to near zero...
Sponsored

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Time for another view?
It was another view for sure, but the information was just as one sided as watching FOX or CNN. It's another power source, I just don't like how it's advertised as being clean energy. All the materials in solar panels, wind farms, hydro dams all have their carbon foot print as well. They have effects equally as damaging to out plant. I personally just really don't like how only half the picture is always hidden when it comes to clean energy. But my biggest issue how it's one step closer to limiting power supplies. Can you imagine how expensive electricity is going to be when it's the only power source limited to the public.
Just to clarify if someone like their electric vehicle for that instant power, quite ride, they hate the smell of gas, anything like that I dig and respect that. Hell I've been waiting for someone to say something along the lines of, I had this RC growing up and always wanted to have a vehicle like that with instant power like it did and now I do, or something along those lines. In that case I'd even have to smash a like button.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Very good points. We are in the camp (just preference as sometimes we would t realize the small income additions each month) that we over pay our taxes and then get a big refund at the end of the year with child credits and such. While not really a bonus as it is actually our money, it is nice to get a lump sum that we didnā€™t really need during the year to do whatever we end doing with it. I have never looked into the realities of the tax credits with hybrids but I thank you for schooling me a bit. Useful knowledge is always appreciated.
Folks have mentioned federal tax incentives (obviously everyone's state is different) - and these can indeed be good but they need to be examined holistically. The government is never out to do anyone any favors. The tax rebates are for folks who run a liability - anyone who gets a tax refund every year isn't benefitting from them. Folks who do their taxes in a way to get as close to zero as they can, but might go a little over, won't realize the tax credit because it can only be claimed up to your liability. (I owe 1k, I can claim 1k rebate but not the full 7500). If you're a person who does their taxes so perfectly that you run a 7k deficit and can reliably get it very close to that number without going over, and then use the hybrid tax rebate to close the gap, until these rebates are phased out (this is the govts plan as more sell) the rebate could be quite useful. The number of folks who fall into this category, though, is far smaller than the number of people who will buy the vehicle thinking oh-em-gee I'm gonna save 7.5k on taxes. ;)
Nope. This couldn't be more incorrect. The tax credit is just that: a credit. It is subtracted from your tax liability for the year, not any refund amount. In other words, we all pay federal income tax, most of us well more than $7500. The credit is used to offset that, regardless of whether you over or under paid your taxes. As a rough example: my wife (a nurse) and I (a teacher) paid around $36000 in federal income tax. We owed closer to $38000, so I will have to pay $2000 when I file. If I were to buy a 4xe, $7500 would be deducted from that $38000 tax burden, reducing it to $30500, but we already paid $36000, so instead of a $2000 net liability, we would be entitled to a $5500 refund.
There are threads on here with contributions from tax pros who will confirm this, but it's simple tax code, and it's federal, so it applies to all federal tax payers. Many states also offer tax credit incentives.
The long and short is that the tax credit does not apply only to those who owe $7500 or more in taxes on April (or in 2021 May) 15th, it is subtracted from your total tax liability. The only people who wouldn't get the entire $7500 would be those who pay less than that in TOTAL federal income tax (withholding on your paycheck) for the entire year. But those folks probably aren't buying a brand new Wrangler 4xe at $45k+ anyway...

Last edited:

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Folks have mentioned federal tax incentives (obviously everyone's state is different) - and these can indeed be good but they need to be examined holistically. The government is never out to do anyone any favors. The tax rebates are for folks who run a liability - anyone who gets a tax refund every year isn't benefitting from them. Folks who do their taxes in a way to get as close to zero as they can, but might go a little over, won't realize the tax credit because it can only be claimed up to your liability. (I owe 1k, I can claim 1k rebate but not the full 7500). If you're a person who does their taxes so perfectly that you run a 7k deficit and can reliably get it very close to that number without going over, and then use the hybrid tax rebate to close the gap, until these rebates are phased out (this is the govts plan as more sell) the rebate could be quite useful. The number of folks who fall into this category, though, is far smaller than the number of people who will buy the vehicle thinking oh-em-gee I'm gonna save 7.5k on taxes. ;)
with all due respect, youā€™re speaking out of your ass šŸ˜‰

let me make this very simple. If your tax liability was $7,500 for the year, and you paid / withheld $7,500 during the year, so come tax filing time you owed $0. If you had bought a 4Xe, when you filed your taxes Uncle Sam would send you a check for $7,500 (the credit).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
HUGE exaggeration there. Sorry, but as a guy who is a big fan of tech and electric motors, as well as a data nerd and still holding a high appreciation of gas/diesel engines...

The 4XE makes 6-7% more torque than his 3.0 diesel, though the 4XE should have instant torque and a better curve vs his diesel as an additional bonus. However, that's at 100% charge. The 4XE will lose 5% charge PER MILE when running on the battery (probably 7-8% in the real world, and 8-12% per mile in the cold winter), and with each % it loses, it will also lose torque. His diesel will have more torque within a couple minutes of the 4XE leaving home, and pull that torque all day long.

I'm not bashing either, but let's be real here.
How dare you use scientific data, facts and logic in an internet discussion. How dare you. Iā€™m reporting you to MSNBC immediately.

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
Just to muddy the economical impact waters further, how about those who could section 179 them?

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
LOL! Exactly! Jeep built that vehicle for the dumb ass that think theyā€™re saving the environment by driving it!

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
LOL! Exactly! Jeep built that vehicle for the dumb ass that think theyā€™re saving the environment by driving it.
They built it because that's where all auto manufacturers are headed. I bought it for a few reasons; I can drive to and from work each day within the all electric range, it has better HP and Torque than almost every other Wrangler, but most importantly, being a hybrid, it was the only way my wife was going to let me trade in again. She drives a Prius. I'm locked in for 10 years now. ;)

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Just to muddy the economical impact waters further, how about those who could section 179 them?
You wouldn't want to section 179 (ie writing off 50K+ of income as deprecation) your 4XE in the tax year it was purchased, if it brought your federal tax liability below $7500. If youre above it $7500 federal tax, I don't see any issue.

Just as reminder $7500 goes towards the federal tax liability. Social Security, Medicare and Self Employment taxes do not count towards the federal tax liability from the IRS's point of view.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
LOL! Exactly! Jeep built that vehicle for the dumb ass that think theyā€™re saving the environment by driving it!
Really??? I like the idea of 370 hp and 470 ft lbs of torque for no more money than a regular 2.0l. And there wonā€™t be new Jeepā€™s without this technology within the next few years regardless....federal ā€œgreenā€ initiatives will require it... The future is upon us - resistance is futile...

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
LOL! Exactly! Jeep built that vehicle for the dumb ass that think theyā€™re saving the environment by driving it.
So this scientifically viable cartoon makes your point?
The facts are no matter how the electricity is generated, electric vehicles produce NET lower emissions than ICE vehicles, and if any percentage of the electricity is generated from renewable resources, the benefits increase.
People worry about the batteries, but they are nearly 100% recyclable, and the rare earth metals that are needed for the production of the batteries are being eliminated through research and development, which would never happen without early adaptation of the tech.
Add to that the potential of zero mass, or structural batteries, which essentially combine carbon fiber load bearing with lithium ion capacity, and the future is bright and sustainable for EVs.
Anyone in reactionary denial of this is, indeed, a dumb ass. Sorry I don't have a cartoon to back that up.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Anyone in reactionary denial of this is, indeed, a dumb ass. Sorry I don't have a cartoon to back that up.
Please provide your science please and not something you read from a liberal slanted social media post. Where are we seeing that these batteries are "nearly all" recyclable? Where are we seeing the demolition and destruction of these used batteries are going to be net zero? Where are we going to get all this "Green" energy to power all these EV's at a net zero? Folks that follow the herd, indeed, a dumb ass.

Sure do I believe the world is going to continue to develop EV tech, sure. I surely am not drinking the kool-aid thinking this is going to save the world and our climate.
Sponsored