OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Toyota looked into diesel when developing hybrid technology. It found that for hybrid application, where the ICE engine performs a “supporting” role, gasoline was more efficient.
Interesting. I guess my only thought why it might have been an option is due to the widespread use of Diesel engines for backup power generators.
Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Question: Does the Gas Engine recharge the batteries in Hybrid mode?? If it does, will it just recharge the reserve capacity of the batteries or all the way to the top on long trips.
The gas engine will recharge the battery. I believe they state it will recharge the battery in about 2 hours of driving at 50 mph. It also has regenerative braking, and it can be set to a max regen, which will make the vehicle ack like it's braking when you let off the gas, and recharge the battery.

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Another point that needs to be made is that the battery and the hybrid system is backed by a 10 year warranty.

6FA5979A-D8D7-4CD6-89F2-9F91DF915841.jpeg
Wow. Wasn’t aware of that. This pretty much negates any of my ownership risks concerns outside of convenience if it is in the shop but that is negligible to me. Just as I said “I don’t have a clue what I’m talking about” -Mess262

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
Just saw one of the lectric rubis out in the wild in a parking lot. I have to say I’m not a fan of the blue accents everywhere. It is such a bright blue. I think it would be more fitting if it was a darker shade of blue.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just saw my first Jeep 4xe 1617489525024

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
It still makes no sense to me that theres a hybrid jeep. Jeep owners dont care about mpg.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
the tree I’ll be hugging has $9k (rebates/incentives) of my money hanging from it....and I’ll still be able to park next to you and enjoy the same view of the forest....see you on the trail 😉
Like most tree huggers they count the rebates but forget to count the $11k premium. When you stop to charge her up to actually get the benefit I’ll text you pics from the next trail.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Like most tree huggers they count the rebates but forget to count the $11k premium. When you stop to charge her up to actually get the benefit I’ll text you pics from the next trail.
and here I thought the Jeep community was friendly to all Jeepers 🤨 plusses and minuses to each....didn't forget any premium, will only stop if I want to and happy you are enjoying your all gas version....Yipee Ki Yay!

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
and here I thought the Jeep community was friendly to all Jeepers 🤨 plusses and minuses to each....didn't forget any premium, will only stop if I want to and happy you are enjoying your all gas version....Yipee Ki Yay!
All Js welcome. I kinda feel bad starting this as I was really just being silly having seen my first one, as I really am intrigued and like the thought of it. I am in the 90% on road camp but I use it for hunting, boating a lot of that 90. The other 10 is offroad when I have a chance to get to Rausch Creek. So the 4xe would be useful to me.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Remember the Alamo, no wait that's Texas, no electrical grid and 16 thousand dollar electric bills? DAAA!
I had my ESS yellow light come on, saying it needed service, with that ghost in the system, I wish they would go back to KISS engineering. ( keep it simple stupid )
That is why I still have my Honda Civic, based on the KISS principle.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Exactly, and you have misunderstood what I wrote - and my point. This is my fault for poorly wording it. I understand it applies to your federal tax liability, and I was never insinuating someone only owed 1k - and I am sorry for not being clearer on that. I should have stated "remaining tax liability." I apologize for the confusion, but my point still stands.

Here's a gross simplification with random numbers to illustrate my point: Let's say you had 25,000 total tax liability for 2020, and you had 20k withdrawn from your paychecks. You owe the government 5000. You own a hybrid that lets you claim the full 7500 due to battery size. This will zero your remaining liability, but wont give you a 2500 check. If you are in that situation, it is indeed worth it.

If you are like most Americans (72 ish percent in 2019) you receive a refund. You have already fully paid your tax liability in deductions. Let's use those same simplified numbers above. Your liability is 25,000 and you have had 30000 withheld. You get 5k back. That's it - not 5k plus your 7.5k rebate. The government isn't paying you to buy a hybrid, and the numbers don't roll over.

The bottom line is, 72% of tax filers will see no benefit from this. They have too much withheld on purpose and like to get a check in April. Financially, this is stupid, but most people value convenience over mathematical perfection with it comes to taxes. That isn't a judgment, it's just a fact given the amount of folks who get refunds.

Of the remaining 28% of people with unfunded tax liability remainders, how much benefit they get from a hybrid rebate will depend how deep a remaining liability they run. The closer to 7.5k the better. This is why many financial advisers will tell you to purposely run a 7.5k remainder, stack that cash in a Roth IRA, and then zero it with a hybrid deduction. Pretty slick if you ask me - but ask yourself how many people are actually doing that?

My point is this: there's lots of people talking about how excellent these rebates on hybrids are. I have coworkers who have been talking about them for years. They also tell me they get tax refunds. It makes me smile a bit.

Read this: https://www.efile.com/tax-credit/hybrid-car-tax-credit/

Quote from the article: " This IRS tax credit can be worth anywhere from $2,500 to $7,500. The amount is determined by the power storage of the battery. In general, all electric vehicles can claim more of the credit than plug-in hybrid vehicles as their battery has more storage. Note that this credit is nonrefundable and will not generate a refund on its own. In other words, if you owe $2,500 on your 2020 Taxes, but claim credit for a PHEV worth $5,000, you will receive $2,500, and the remaining $2,500 will be eliminated."
That makes total sense - the tax credit is very valuable, but only if your federal tax liability equals or exceeds $7,500 unless there is a carryover provision...which I don’t believe there is....

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Hopefully battery technology advances like microchips did. The performance of electric vehicles can far exceed gasoline engines, however just too many issues with batteries. A friend has a Tesla, the acceleration is like a rocket. Just amazing.

Currently batteries are expensive, heavy, and there are few high speed charging stations.

Maybe 10 - 15 years from now smaller batteries will give EVs 500+ mile range and 20 minute fast charge to full. If so, I'll be first in line.

Currently, I wouldn't mind a Tesla or a Mustang Mach E to zip around locally. The value is not there yet though.

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I'll get an electric jeep when they have hub motors.
Would they be able to put hub motors that could handle the typical Jeep torture? I assume obviously the ones on current cars are pretty water resistant but are they waterPROOF and able to get sunk in mud? I don’t know enough about them to say one way or another. Just an honest question.
I like electric vehicles. Heck I threw my deposit on the cyber truck when they announced just to have my hat in the ring if they actually deliver on what they previewed. I do agree that the infrastructure for charging lacking where I live so that is a concern for a full battery car and the electric range isn’t a killer for me unless I can’t do running around errands on electric only for the day to make me feel good.
i would never buy one thinking I’m going to save a ton (unless Biden continues his rambling reign of terror and fuel continues to skyrocket) I wouldn’t get one for the environment either. There are far better ways to save the earth and a hybrid isn’t it. For now they would be a novelty. Just as I didn’t buy a diesel for fuel savings. I got it for the novelty and power. I’m fully aware it will cost me more in the long run than any of the other motors but I always wanted a Jeep with a diesel but didn’t have the expertise or equipment to drop one in a TJ.
Sponsored