Sponsored

Just saw my first Jeep 4xe

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
You don't think that the current fossil fuel system was funded magically by "not us", do you?
It developed organically over many years in response to natural demand, not because the government used legal coercion to create/manipulate/accelerate a market in a short period of time. Hell we can't even get internet connectivity to all who want it now, and people want it & are willing to pay a premium.
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

It developed organically over many years in response to natural demand, not because the government used legal coercion to create/manipulate/accelerate a market in a short period of time. Hell we can't even get internet connectivity to all who want it now, and people want it & are willing to pay a premium.
Yeah, that internet thing? That's all on the ISPs not wanting to "organically grow based on natural demand".

Fossil fuel infrastructure has also been subsidized, encouraged, and manipulated over the last couple of centuries to get where it is. This whole argument that the infrastructure doesn't exist is hogwash. It will grow to meet demand, "organically" and by "being forced on the public". Hell, if you're not in a major metro area, the current (no pun intended) US electrical grid was put in place by "government coercion". Thank FDR for having electricity for lighting, etc and not having to use gas lighting in rural homesteads.

The entire US highway system was kick-started by "government coercion", or would you rather overland routes go back to carriageways and trails? I could go on, but I hope you see the point. Every major infrastructure system in place in the US was part of a government initiative, directly funded by, or received subsidies, land grants and tax breaks.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I am not sure how you think I am 'against' any of this, I am simply saying it is being foisted upon us and that the electrical system is not ready, nor will it be ready for many years. And there is going to be a lot of (expensive) pain between here & the utopia many seem to believe is coming.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
When battery tech catches up it will be amazing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just saw my first Jeep 4xe 189Years later

OK boys, it's been 189 years! What Star date was that?

I certainly believe the 4xe is more realistic to wheel than a totally EV Wrangler. Unfortunately, a 17Kwh battery is a throw back to the historically anemic powered Jeeps we've suffered with since WWII despite the 2.0L and 8sp being a superior match than anything previously produced. Now we're being sold an under performing battery even by Stellantis' standards. Recall that back in '09 it was promoted as a 40 mile battery, then busted to 25 miles, now 21 miles. How can this be acceptable?
Jeep Wrangler JL Just saw my first Jeep 4xe SeeNoEvil

Last edited:

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Sad to see the ignorance in people who don’t understand the impotence of the electric future. Typo corrected.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

I certainly believe the 4xe is more realistic to wheel than a totally EV Wrangler. Unfortunately, a 17Kwh battery is a throw back to the historically anemic powered Jeeps we've suffered with since WWII despite the 2.0L and 8sp being a superior match than anything previously produced. Now we're being sold an under performing battery even by Stellantis' standards. Recall that back in '09 it was promoted as a 40 mile battery, then busted to 25 miles, now 21 miles. How can this be acceptable?
Dude the wrangle 4xe was not a energy savings play as much as it was a performance and rebate play to sell more Wranglers. No one at FCA sees the Wrangler as save energy play. For some it will (those with short commutes, or soccer moms) others not so much. this is simply progress (baby steps). Do not judge if a counterpart does not exist.

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order

375 HP + 470 lb-ft torque... anemic? 🤔

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
so i have been talking with my wife about the 4xe. A) she LOVES the blue accent (so that's a win in my book...) B) All my driving around here is 5-7 miles each way, so in theory, i wouldnt have to use gas at all ($2.73/gallon for 87)....again, in theory.

I have a Sahara JLU now, i love it, and have repeatedly told my wife, if I ever get rid of it, it would be for a rubicon. That said, built a Rubicon 4xe on jeep.com for $59,715. I found it interesting the the Sahara comes standard with leather, LED, Alpine sound, but the Rubicon only comes standard with the LED package.

The Sahara comes with 20x8.5 wheels, which i have to admit, I'm a fan of, but once you add in the color match hard top and cold weather group (CWG is a MUST for me), it's $53 and change....But there's something about the rubicon styling that when I was shopping around for a Jeep that didn't pop, but it does now.

I'll let this first wave of 4xe's work out the kinks, but probably next year, 18 months from now, it'll be something I'm going to look into. I'm a big fan of the concept, and I find it fascinating how a 4,000 lb vehicle can work efficiently on electric power.

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
The 4xe is rad - I just can't justify it (yet) for a few reasons. Folks talk about savings in fuel costs, but the reality is that is an unfinished statement. Savings as compared to what? The closest comparison, in my personal case, is my JLUR with the 2.0 turbo.

I paid 42000 for my Jeep. The cheapest comparable 4xe Rubicon is in the mid 50s. Even if all of the driving I did was able to be completed in under the fully electric range, it would take literally a decade at those small trips to break even. In real world conditions of driving in hybrid mode, where the 4xe is using gas (and driving more miles) that gap could close to 6ish years but let's be real...that's a lot of driving before I start to see savings.

The 4xe has some cool features, like the ability to save its electricity in case you run out of fuel on the trail. You'd be hard pressed to find a continuous overland track in the usa that would run a 2.0T wrangler out of gas, even in 4-hi, without ample gas within a few miles of the track at convenient intervals, and even a small 2.5 gallon gas can would take me farther than the battery power would. If you're out in AU and doing the canning stock route, not even a 4xe is gonna help you - you're gonna need to being some massive fuel cans and probably do a mid-trip refuel at a remote village. See my point here - currently, this feature is a solution looking for a problem.

The 4xe is a torque monster - that part is indeed rad. And yes, some have pointed out that diminishes as the vehicle is driven and can be affected by cold, yadda yadda yadda. All of that is irrelevant to me because the 2.0 puts out 295 lbs-ft of torque. That is gobs more than I'll ever need even with a fully loaded wrangler (I don't exceed my payload capacity) driving off road for multiple days in 4hi, and if I need to move the vehicle up an obstacle or area that needs the torque...putting a rubi transfer case in 4lo is beyond enough to move the rig. It's also worth noting some of this torque is necessary...the jlur 4xe weighs about 1000lbs more than a normal jlur.

As it sits now, I see a couple types of buyers for this thing.

A) First adopters who want to buy the newest and coolest of items, whether they need it or not, just to say they have it. My hats off to these guys, provided they're doing it with real money and not a bunch of debt.

B) People who need a single vehicle to drive in the city, and explore wrangler-pedigree tracks on the weekends, and will keep it long enough to offset the higher cost and/or are interested in spending more than they have to on the feeling of driving a hybrid (which cannot be valued and is subjective). Leasers who don't care about building up car-wealth over time to the 50/50 breakover point (your trade is worth 50% of your next one and you have the rest in cash) and do tons of small city commutes would also fall into this group.

C) People who want a non-diesel option and actually need to tow something that requires the torque of the 4xe, aren't worried about the diminished power of the batteries in cold/heat/loss as they drain.

So, I'm gonna keep my eyes open. I like where it's going and I love Jeep pushing into new markets and developing new products. If they could get the price within 5k of a comparable equipped Rubicon, and the real-world battery only range to 50 miles in 4hi with a full load, I'd be in. These are the numbers I'll be watching for in the next decade. Til then, even with the cost of fuel, my ICE serves me just fine.
The $7500 tax refund helps make up the cost disparity :)

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
so i have been talking with my wife about the 4xe. A) she LOVES the blue accent (so that's a win in my book...) B) All my driving around here is 5-7 miles each way, so in theory, i wouldnt have to use gas at all ($2.73/gallon for 87)....again, in theory.

I have a Sahara JLU now, i love it, and have repeatedly told my wife, if I ever get rid of it, it would be for a rubicon. That said, built a Rubicon 4xe on jeep.com for $59,715. I found it interesting the the Sahara comes standard with leather, LED, Alpine sound, but the Rubicon only comes standard with the LED package.

The Sahara comes with 20x8.5 wheels, which i have to admit, I'm a fan of, but once you add in the color match hard top and cold weather group (CWG is a MUST for me), it's $53 and change....But there's something about the rubicon styling that when I was shopping around for a Jeep that didn't pop, but it does now.

I'll let this first wave of 4xe's work out the kinks, but probably next year, 18 months from now, it'll be something I'm going to look into. I'm a big fan of the concept, and I find it fascinating how a 4,000 lb vehicle can work efficiently on electric power.
Also subtract the $7500 tax credit. Thats what most people forget with the 4xe

Sponsored

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Folks have mentioned federal tax incentives (obviously everyone's state is different) - and these can indeed be good but they need to be examined holistically. The government is never out to do anyone any favors. The tax rebates are for folks who run a liability - anyone who gets a tax refund every year isn't benefitting from them. Folks who do their taxes in a way to get as close to zero as they can, but might go a little over, won't realize the tax credit because it can only be claimed up to your liability. (I owe 1k, I can claim 1k rebate but not the full 7500). If you're a person who does their taxes so perfectly that you run a 7k deficit and can reliably get it very close to that number without going over, and then use the hybrid tax rebate to close the gap, until these rebates are phased out (this is the govts plan as more sell) the rebate could be quite useful. The number of folks who fall into this category, though, is far smaller than the number of people who will buy the vehicle thinking oh-em-gee I'm gonna save 7.5k on taxes. ;)
After research the federal tax credit of $7500 is applied just like a child tax credit so indeed your refund would be increased by that amount if you get tax refunds which is nice. I do not know about the state credits as Texas phased theres out last year.

MissRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
We're looking at ordering a 4xe very very soon. Over the past year the husband and I have both been teleworking due to covid, but he's due to start going back into the office soon. It's a 60 mile trip each way, so he'll be driving 600+ miles a week for work.

His current commuter vehicle is a 2019 Subaru Outback. It's fine (if boring), gets around 28 MPG. Good thing is that we owe less than the trade-in value. Between the improved MPG, getting the equity out of the Outback, and the federal tax credit, it seems to be a no-brainer to buy the 4xe. And if he really wants the vroom vroom of a V6, he always has mine (if I let him drive it). :devil:

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
We're looking at ordering a 4xe very very soon. Over the past year the husband and I have both been teleworking due to covid, but he's due to start going back into the office soon. It's a 60 mile trip each way, so he'll be driving 600+ miles a week for work.

His current commuter vehicle is a 2019 Subaru Outback. It's fine (if boring), gets around 28 MPG. Good thing is that we owe less than the trade-in value. Between the improved MPG, getting the equity out of the Outback, and the federal tax credit, it seems to be a no-brainer to buy the 4xe. And if he really wants the vroom vroom of a V6, he always has mine (if I let him drive it). :devil:
Just wanted to make sure you are aware the 4xe has 90 more horsepower and 210 more lb-ft torque than the V6? Just in case you wanted to rethink which Jeep was who's. 😋

MissRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Just wanted to make sure you are aware the 4xe has 90 more horsepower and 210 more lb-ft torque than the V6? Just in case you wanted to rethink which Jeep was who's. 😋
LOL! Nah, it's my dream Jeep. I'll be continuing with remote work permanently so it works out perfectly. :)

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Sad to see the ignorance in people who don’t understand the importance of the electric future
Sad to see the recklessness in thinking that we all have to go immediately into a full-blown all electric solution way before it's practically ready. I wonder if you own a Tesla and tried charging it during rolling blackouts? Or charge it with just green energy sources during the monsoon or doldrum seasons?

We are in a transition time. Unfortunately many believe the current battery technology we have now is the answer. IT IS NOT! And far from it!

I truly suspect that the hydrogen fuel cell (or something like it) may hold more promise than the rare-earth (heavy-metal) battery tech we are now dependent on. What's it matter of what we first run out of? Oil, lithium, mercury or any of the other crucial chemical elements in making batteries?

Are we working toward the right direction? Perhaps. But DON'T dare call me ignorant. It's the skeptics and rational thinkers that will push for better technological results. It is we ignorant people who will demand the new tech be better than the old. It is we ignoramuses who will make the economic impact as painless and efficient as possible.

Look at the big picture of exactly where it is that you live now and realize the potential hardships your 'green' vision will create before your idea of a future is really ready. True visionaries are the ones that puzzle out how to get us from here to there without making things worse during the transition.

Get beyond your indoctrinated weak education and truly understand the physics, the science, the social and economic impacts as well as all the philosophical and cultural changes required to get us from here to there.

Please open your mind to the realities of making that future possible, not just the emotional 'feeling' of wanting it to be.

Who is truly ignorant?
Sponsored