Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Will do! The pillar was what I am concerned about. But that's a good idea about talking to a paintless dent guy and seeing what they say. I'll keep everyone posted. The front drivers fender attachments are broken off by the drivers side door. Wonder if I could get them to replace with the high fenders.
If you can get that door fixed without repainting I would definitely do it. They will typically not upgrade that fender. It's going to be a part for part replacement. I would have them paint the fender flare OFF the jeep and not have them paint the actual fender unless they have to.
When I had to have body work done on a car the first call I made was to the local Porsche dealer, asked for their service department and asked who does your body work. They told me and that is where I went, not giving a rip where my insurance company wanted me to go and they didn't put up a fight. I figured if it was good enough for Porsche it was good enough for my Toyota Highlander :)
YOU are in control, do not let your insurance company drive this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wwsowell

Wwsowell

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport Sting Gray
Right, that's a great idea! I would be willing to pay extra for the high flares. Also the place I'm going is very reputable. Evidently we have a top notched paintless dent removal company locally but heres what they said
"Yes that pillar will need to be pulled by a pulling post from a bodyshop. That a structure area that plays a huge roll in protecting passengers and anchoring for the doors. Unfortunately we can not do this repair, it will need a conventional bodyshop. They will work or replace the area and repaint. We really appreciate you checking with us"

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You are lucky!!! Up here in the Northern Panhandle of WV a deer is normally the size of a small horse or normal size donkey. When you hit a deer up here you normally end up totally your vehicle.
You know you're from West Virginia when this is in your comments. :)
:cwl:

..... Wonder if I could get them to replace with the high fenders.
Technically yes. As previously noted, the insurance company won't upgrade parts. They'll only replace them. That said, you can opt for the cash value of the repair (or a specific part of a repair). When taking the cash value, you sign off saying you're satisfied with the resolution, so you can't come back and say they didn't fix it. You then take the money and put it toward the replacement part you want.
Another option is to let the body shop know that you want a different part. They bill the insurance company for the cost of the repair (as they normally would), and bill you the difference for the upgraded part. Then they order the upgraded part instead of the stock replacement and put it on.
For example:
Someone backed into my Ram when it was brand new. The bed was dented, tail light broken, and rim was scratched. I had the shop fix all the body stuff, but asked the insurance company for the cash for the rim replacement, because I was planning on eventually replacing the stock rims anyway. I guess specifically it was a check, not cash, but I took the money for that stock rim, and put it toward a new set of aftermarket rims. It's all on the up and up, and perfectly legal. They're paying the value of the repair, what you do with it is up to you.

OP
OP
Wwsowell

Wwsowell

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes sir, that was my plan. I decided to wait on the high fenders , let them just replace with stock, and focus my money on other mods I wanted 1st. Got to get tint, rails, and exhaust. Then after those a level. The jeep is going in Monday after Thanksgiving, I didn't want a rental through the holiday....

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir, that was my plan. I decided to wait on the high fenders , let them just replace with stock, and focus my money on other mods I wanted 1st. Got to get tint, rails, and exhaust. Then after those a level. The jeep is going in Monday after Thanksgiving, I didn't want a rental through the holiday....
Level it first!!! I hate that rake up front :)

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A "level"? What, raise the front end? I thought they were already level....
If you look at a JL from the side you will see the nose slightly slopes down. This is for aerodynamics and personally I hate the look, the JKs are even worse. This slope is known as rake and there is about 1/2 inch of rake on the JL.
I put on a budget lift and the front spacer was 2.5" and the rear was 2". That is so that you will raise the Jeep 2" but the extra .5" up front removes the rake giving it a level stance. Here is a great side pic to give you an idea of what I mean. Notice how level it looks.
upload_2018-11-19_13-49-10.jpeg

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
If you look at a JL from the side you will see the nose slightly slopes down. This is for aerodynamics and personally I hate the look, the JKs are even worse. This slope is known as rake and there is about 1/2 inch of rake on the JL.
I put on a budget lift and the front spacer was 2.5" and the rear was 2". That is so that you will raise the Jeep 2" but the extra .5" up front removes the rake giving it a level stance. Here is a great side pic to give you an idea of what I mean. Notice how level it looks.
upload_2018-11-19_13-49-10.jpeg
Good info! I never really noticed I guess (but then its my wifes Jeep and Ive only driven it maybe 50 out of 4K miles).

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good info! I never really noticed I guess (but then its my wifes Jeep and Ive only driven it maybe 50 out of 4K miles).
Yep it's the Mrs. here as well. I have an LJ but have done my fair share of driving her JL :)
17k miles since 1/31/18!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wwsowell

Wwsowell

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taking it in Monday , the door paint is cracked where one of the wrinkles is, so paintless dent removal def out of question. I sold some BFG Mud tires I bought for $500 a couple months ago, I sold them for $600. Getting rails and a level when it gets out of the shop. Then tint and possible a little tweaking to exhaust.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Why's that?
Utah, 20 years ago, luuuuuuved fees and taxes and Governor Leavit was trying to find more ways to bring more revenue to the state. One idea that he got through was to charge drivers/vehicle owners who hit a dear or something bigger like elk or moose even though the driver was not at fault. He also was the one who came up with the idea to tax online purchases.

All the taxes and fees went to support the large families.

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Utah, 20 years ago, luuuuuuved fees and taxes and Governor Leavit was trying to find more ways to bring more revenue to the state. One idea that he got through was to charge drivers/vehicle owners who hit a dear or something bigger like elk or moose even though the driver was not at fault. He also was the one who came up with the idea to tax online purchases.

All the taxes and fees went to support the large families.

Sound like NJ.. Friggen taxed out like crazy. However charging drivers for hitting a woods rat is absolutely insanity. These useless creatures are so stupid they actually will run into the side of your car..

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I wouldn't call them "useless" creatures, but they can certainly be stupid. Especially during rut. Of course I guess a horny guy can be pretty stupid too. How many guys have done something stupid that could potentially get them hurt/killed because they're not thinking straight. Ha ha. It spans all breeds.

OP
OP
Wwsowell

Wwsowell

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dropping the jeep off Monday, bought teraflex 1.5" level today as well as dv8 rails. Hopefully they'll be in soon after I get the jeep back!
Sponsored