Just ordered the 2018 Sahara JL

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FatBoy01 is correct. I cannot find it right now but somebody bought the wiring to install the hitch figuring it was cheaper. They are regretting it now and went over how difficult it is to wire that 4/7 connector to the front engine compartment of the Jeep after it is built.

Penny wise pound foolish as the saying goes.

Edit: Here is the thread:

Start HERE

For that extra money you are also getting the upgraded Alternator 240 amp as well as 700 amp battery. Battery not really needed but you get the larger alternator as well for that money as well as the Aux switches all wired and ready to go that are programmable with Uconnect 4C 7 or 8.4 inch entertainment center. Not programmable with the 5" version.

$795 for all of that is cheap money and I think people that opt out of that package will regret it down the road.
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
FatBoy01 is bored waiting on his 2 dr. Jl. He talks/ posts here far to much.. ;) But occasionally, he brings up a valid point.

kid.jpg

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I work at a dealership... Don't do the rust proofing crap. It's useless.

Everything else I am a fan of!

pkvir

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Zoebart rustproofing/deadoning=ripoff

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
@RussJeep1 .. I have to say I disagree with you on whether to or not to get the optional "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" which will cost you $795.00 to add to a new JL/JLU purchase.

-Sure, if all you want, is a trailer hitch to mount your bicycle rack or similar with and you have no need of trailer wiring, then and only then do I believe it is wise for someone ... a novice to not purchase the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

Indeed, the basic "trailer hitch" alone costs about $100 and the install is straight forward and sure it can be done easily by most people. Or, yes, you can pay a guy/gal to do the install of the hitch and that costs you $75 lets say. Ok, you got the trailer hitch alone and you need no trailer wiring package so yes, $175+- and you're good to go and for cheap.. Way less expensive then paying for the $795 Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

Where the problem lies is if you need a hitch and the wiring that would be required to tow a legal trailer.... even a little utility trailer.

With the JL, you need the trailer hitch that will run you $100+- and the trailer wiring kit that will run you say $200+-. Now you are up to $300+ for parts alone.

Now, you can have the dealer and or small shop do the hitch and wiring kit install but, I can tell you they are going to get you for around $200 in labor +-. So, now you are up to $500+-. For $500+- you got the trailer hitch and wiring and the install.

You may have a so so install, broken panel clips in the JL and whatever. Hopefully, the guy was in fact a good installer and did it correctly. Trailer wiring that goes sour over time can be a major hassle to square away.

Anyway, in this scenario, yes you save $295 versus the $795 but get less, gain more hassles, get no $ credit for factory installed Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group at resale time, etc.. You also don't have the HD Electrical Group that in itself is a terrific addition to a JL.

In closing I say do go with the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group package if you plan on towing a street legal trailer! Sure for the guy that needs a trailer hitch for his bike rack and no wiring, get the $100 hitch.

Now, I know someone will chime in and say geeeez, I can easily easily do the hitch install and wiring myself and save hundreds. I'll save the $295.00.. I will chuckle at this, as whether you are mechanically inclined or not or even a dealer tech, the wiring install is going to be a major pain in the arse.

Sure if your time is worth little, you love a challenge, you don't mind broken clips, you don't mind cussing out loud and you don't mind not having the HD Electrical Group on your JL then go for it.... do save the $295.00.

Reality is, for the average Joe that wants to trailer.. to tow a legal trailer with his JL, his best bet is to just spend the $795 an get the optional Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

With this he gets 0 headaches, a properly installed Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group, with all the goodies that it entails. Oh, and yes, will cost him $295 more then the guy that went through all the hassles, has all the shortcomings of having not gotten the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group at purchase time of their JL.

Disclaimer: Indeed, somewhere down the line, maybe in a few months, there will be an inexpensive, easy easy to install, trailer wiring alternative for the JL/JLU. For now though there is no such animal.
Also : Isnt there additional transmition cooling with the tow pkg like many other vehicles ? for 795.00 to get a Jeep Tow package is actually not a bad deal and really helps with value !

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also : Isnt there additional transmition cooling with the tow pkg like many other vehicles ? for 795.00 to get a Jeep Tow package is actually not a bad deal and really helps with value !
Not that I have heard of or read. I am sure if this was the case they would list it in the description of the options. They would not leave out such a positive detail like that IMO.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Not that I have heard of or read. I am sure if this was the case they would list it in the description of the options. They would not leave out such a positive detail like that IMO.
Agreed ... To my knowledge there is no transmission cooler in regard to the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

sadass

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98. 5.9 ZJ 7"LA's F/R locked 2000 WJ DD
Occupation
Semi-Conductor Equipment Tech.
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if that is another reason the 4 door JL tow capacity is rated at only 3,500lb. No additional Trans coolant capacity.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if that is another reason the 4 door JL tow capacity is rated at only 3,500lb. No additional Trans coolant capacity.
I don't think so as the previous model had that extra cooling but same capacity. I recall one of the Jeep designers discussing this and stating that it was more due to the suspension. Stating that in order to keep the off road capabilities the suspension is softer and to increase towing capacity that would need to be changed making less off road capability and creating a much stiffer ride.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase

FatBoy01 = Agreed ... To my knowledge there is no transmission cooler in regard to the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group

Wasnt sure and thanks for response . I have added receivers and harnesses to trucks in the past and we have always added a small Trans radiator in front of main one

Sponsored

sadass

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98. 5.9 ZJ 7"LA's F/R locked 2000 WJ DD
Occupation
Semi-Conductor Equipment Tech.
Vehicle Showcase
Either way. 3,500lb Will do the trick for me. Its enough capacity to tow a small trailer with a few dual sports in it on a few road trips per year. I just did not understand why the tow package needed a bigger alternator and battery for anything associated with towing a light load like that. Now I realize the bigger battery and alternator are more associated with supplying the current demands of what ever the Aux switches may tied too. Nothing to do with the towing aspect..

OP
OP

Sgtmaj65

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
That' makes total sense and I appreciate your honesty. Another question, what Are your thoughts on the anti slip differential rear axle, remote proximity keyless entry and remote start? Thanks and take care.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@RussJeep1 .. I have to say I disagree with you on whether to or not to get the optional "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" which will cost you $795.00 to add to a new JL/JLU purchase.

-Sure, if all you want, is a trailer hitch to mount your bicycle rack or similar with and you have no need of trailer wiring, then and only then do I believe it is wise for someone ... a novice to not purchase the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

Indeed, the basic "trailer hitch" alone costs about $100 and the install is straight forward and sure it can be done easily by most people. Or, yes, you can pay a guy/gal to do the install of the hitch and that costs you $75 lets say. Ok, you got the trailer hitch alone and you need no trailer wiring package so yes, $175+- and you're good to go and for cheap.. Way less expensive then paying for the $795 Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

Where the problem lies is if you need a hitch and the wiring that would be required to tow a legal trailer.... even a little utility trailer.

With the JL, you need the trailer hitch that will run you $100+- and the trailer wiring kit that will run you say $200+-. Now you are up to $300+ for parts alone.

Now, you can have the dealer and or small shop do the hitch and wiring kit install but, I can tell you they are going to get you for around $200 in labor +-. So, now you are up to $500+-. For $500+- you got the trailer hitch and wiring and the install.

You may have a so so install, broken panel clips in the JL and whatever. Hopefully, the guy was in fact a good installer and did it correctly. Trailer wiring that goes sour over time can be a major hassle to square away.

Anyway, in this scenario, yes you save $295 versus the $795 but get less, gain more hassles, get no $ credit for factory installed Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group at resale time, etc.. You also don't have the HD Electrical Group that in itself is a terrific addition to a JL.

In closing I say do go with the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group package if you plan on towing a street legal trailer! Sure for the guy that needs a trailer hitch for his bike rack and no wiring, get the $100 hitch.

Now, I know someone will chime in and say geeeez, I can easily easily do the hitch install and wiring myself and save hundreds. I'll save the $295.00.. I will chuckle at this, as whether you are mechanically inclined or not or even a dealer tech, the wiring install is going to be a major pain in the arse.

Sure if your time is worth little, you love a challenge, you don't mind broken clips, you don't mind cussing out loud and you don't mind not having the HD Electrical Group on your JL then go for it.... do save the $295.00.

Reality is, for the average Joe that wants to trailer.. to tow a legal trailer with his JL, his best bet is to just spend the $795 an get the optional Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group.

With this he gets 0 headaches, a properly installed Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group, with all the goodies that it entails. Oh, and yes, will cost him $295 more then the guy that went through all the hassles, has all the shortcomings of having not gotten the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group at purchase time of their JL.

Disclaimer: Indeed, somewhere down the line, maybe in a few months, there will be an inexpensive, easy easy to install, trailer wiring alternative for the JL/JLU. For now though there is no such animal.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/couple-newbie-questions.4648/page-2

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That' makes total sense and I appreciate your honesty. Another question, what Are your thoughts on the anti slip differential rear axle, remote proximity keyless entry and remote start? Thanks and take care.
Limited Slip Differential - For the price it is a great option in my opinion. You get the LSD as well as an upgraded stronger axle in the Dana 44. You could go with the Select Trac automatic option as well or even have them both. Honestly I don't have an issue shifting into 4H when needed and back out when not needed so I just went with LSD. With LSD in most situations that feature alone will keep me from even needing to shift into 4H.

Remote Proximity - Check the boards as many have been having issues with the system recognizing they have grabbed the handle and having to yank on it 3 to 6 times to get it to unlock. I picked up this option as I figured if my hands were full it would be nicer to grab the handle instead of having to reach for a FOB to unlock the doors first. If you are trying to keep the overall cost down I would skip this feature.

Remote Start - This is a personal preference. My Jeep is in a garage during the winter when I would use it most. I won't have it running in the garage for X amount of time and have no use for it personally. You really need to determine if this cost is worth it to you for what you are getting. To me it is not worth it. It is worth it for many others and they won't even buy a vehicle without it.

OP
OP

Sgtmaj65

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Any one have any thoughts on changing to a smaller antenna and a gas cover? If so where can you order them? Thanks.

Eddie
Sponsored