Sponsored

Just ordered my Superchips Flashpaq Tuner....can't wait!

WLFMOON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon
I tried the Tazer JL tuner....from what I have read it is a great tuner with lots of capabilities. I tried it for a week. Easy to install, easy directions, etc. My JL didn't seem to like it. I noticed my radio was having all sorts of weird things happening after the install. The nav would not work, and then would freeze up. My other controls on the radio itself would also not work.
After tuning the vehicle I did the sleep mode where you run it, shut off the JL, open door and wait for everything to reset.
It would work for a short time and then start to mess up again. Not sure if it is because my JL is a Rubicon 6 speed, or not......
So after dealing with the issues, to no avail, I decided to go with the Superchips pcm swap. I have used their tuners in the past and like them.....I'll post an update once I receive it!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I tried the Tazer JL tuner....from what I have read it is a great tuner with lots of capabilities. I tried it for a week. Easy to install, easy directions, etc. My JL didn't seem to like it. I noticed my radio was having all sorts of weird things happening after the install. The nav would not work, and then would freeze up. My other controls on the radio itself would also not work.
After tuning the vehicle I did the sleep mode where you run it, shut off the JL, open door and wait for everything to reset.
It would work for a short time and then start to mess up again. Not sure if it is because my JL is a Rubicon 6 speed, or not......
So after dealing with the issues, to no avail, I decided to go with the Superchips pcm swap. I have used their tuners in the past and like them.....I'll post an update once I receive it!

The Tazer JL is not a tuner.

Issue(s) you had with it were undoubtedly related to user error / user, YOU, inept at using the programmer so issues resulted.

Thousands of guys/gals/JL owner's are using the Tazer JL / Tazer JL Mini, programmer, and most all are real happy with it.

I'm sure you will be happy with your tuner. It has a learning curve also so....

OP
OP
WLFMOON

WLFMOON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Tazer JL is not a tuner.

Issue(s) you had with it were undoubtedly related to user error / user, YOU, inept at using the programmer so issues resulted.

Thousands of guys/gals/JL owner's are using the Tazer JL / Tazer JL Mini, programmer, and most all are real happy with it.

I'm sure you will be happy with your tuner. It has a learning curve also so....
I've been using programmers/tuners for a long time.....never had any issues. It was just something with this particular JL.

OP
OP
WLFMOON

WLFMOON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so I installed the flashpaq in the JL last night. Installed perfectly fine. Went to start JL and nothing......
I'm thinking not again...not another programmer failure with this JL.
Called Superchips and they checked the programmer out through the online ignition system. They had me pull the plugs and check for a bent pin......they were stumped too. They said to let it sit again with battery disconnected for about 10 minutes and then re-connect. I did so and it fired right up.
Superchips said that they have seem a certain number of JL's that have an issue with taking a tune. I guess I have one of them. That is probably what was wrong with the Tazer I had.
Everything seems to work! Programming on 87 octane tune seems to give it a lot more power! I have not gone for a long road test as of yet.....just in my driveway and down to get the mail(we have a really long driveway).
I'll post results once I know for sure.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ok, so I installed the flashpaq in the JL last night. Installed perfectly fine. Went to start JL and nothing......
Called Superchips and they checked the programmer out through the online ignition system. They had me pull the plugs and check for a bent pin......they were stumped too. They said to let it sit again with battery disconnected for about 10 minutes and then re-connect. I did so and it fired right up.
Superchips said that they have seem a certain number of JL's that have an issue with taking a tune. I guess I have one of them. That is probably what was wrong with the Tazer I had.
Everything seems to work! Programming on 87 octane tune seems to give it a lot more power! I have not gone for a long road test as of yet.....just in my driveway and down to get the mail(we have a really long driveway).
Great you made it work. I want to eliminate the rev hang. Contacted Superchips and they told me their tuner eliminates it, but I would like to see how it works before pulling the trigger on a PCM swap.

When you have a chance, if possible, could you please make a video of your tachometer, holding the revs at different values (1500, 3000 and 4000) for a few seconds and then completely release the throttle and making an audio cue when you do, so I can see how the rev hang behaves?

Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WLFMOON

WLFMOON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great you made it work. I want to eliminate the rev hang. Contacted Superchips and they told me their tuner eliminates it, but I would like to see how it works before pulling the trigger on a PCM swap.

When you have a chance, if possible, could you please make a video of your tachometer, holding the revs at different values (1500, 3000 and 4000) for a few seconds and then completely release the throttle and making an audio cue when you do, so I can see how the rev hang behaves?

Thanks.
I can tell you that it definitely removes the rev hang. The rpms drop once you let off the gas.
It also adds power and gas mileage went up.
I wish I saw your message earlier today, because I could of made a video. I uninstalled the Flashpaq because we are going to do a HEMI swap in the new JL. So it will be a few months before it goes back on the road. I will be selling the Flashpaq if you are interested. Just PM me.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I can tell you that it definitely removes the rev hang. The rpms drop once you let off the gas.
I wish I saw your message earlier today, because I could of made a video. I uninstalled the Flashpaq because we are going to do a HEMI swap in the new JL. So it will be a few months before it goes back on the road. I will be selling the Flashpaq if you are interested. Just PM me.
Thanks.for your reply and for letting me know you'll be selling your flashpaq, but I already have the flashcal, so I only need to pay for the upgrade.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Do you know if it gets rid of the little studder the manuals get aroung 40mph in 3rd gear? If i hold at 42mph in 3rd gear my 2 door manual Rubi will buck and studder. A few others with manuals have noticed this too so just curious if this tuner will smooth it out?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab

Now did you send your PCM out to get unlocked, or did you just do the PCM swap with Superchips?

Back on black Friday I was tempted to pick up the upgrade for my Flashcal until I learned I needed the PCM unlocked.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Anybody else break the clips that lock the pcm into place?

If yes tips to fix are appreciated.

I have a beta of the pulsar I got at EJS.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Anybody else break the clips that lock the pcm into place?

If yes tips to fix are appreciated.

I have a beta of the pulsar I got at EJS.
My locks were dangling from the factory, I am going to see what the dealership will do this morning. You can buy replacement back covers, the locking tabs can be pushed down manually from the top of the connector (blue and green plastic locking tabs) , you can than replace the back cover by cutting the zip tie off the bottom, installing the new cover in the unlocked position and putting them back on. I have done it on other vehicles but want to see what the dealer fix is before I do it myself.

@Superchips JL may be able to help keep us posted.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered the Flashpaq and the PCM swap. I was about to do the swap last night but noticed that one of the retention clips was broken on the factory PCM. I messed with it for a few but could not push the green and blue lock tabs down manually. Gonna try again tonight, unless someone has some tricks. Also debating to taking to the dealer before I do anything, maybe they can replace it under warranty and than I’ll swap it?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I pushed my green and blue tabs out with small screwdriver. I broke mine also they are easy to break it seems. I found part number but seem to buy them anywhere.

Last edited:

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Damn it this makes me nervous knowing that the clips are a problem. Unreal.