Just ordered my Jeep... Now what?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Congrats on your new Jeep! I’d second getting the guards for the sills. Otherwise,wait until you’ve driven it and spring. A stock Jeep is pretty darn capable, a Rubi, even more so. For light trails you don’t “need” anything (want is different than need). Drive it, enjoy it and see What you think after you’ve got some miles on it. I Guarantee you will always be able to add stuff later if you wish. The aftermarket for Jeep isn’t going anywhere.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@KingBlotto Fred, here's another thought. Rather than focusing on what accessories to look at, maybe focus best belongs on the process of acquiring those accessories.

Practicing more as I say than do, figure out how much discretionary income you have, and when, to earmark for Wrangler stuff.

Develop a list of the items that interest you, along with their price and that of competing products in the space.

Prioritize that list, not only in terms of what you like best, but what's best to happen first and second in terms of a build, and what's time independent.

Hold on to that list for a bit. It's priorities might change. It might grow or even shrink as some purchases sort of negate the purchase of others. For example, if a soft top was high on your list it might get more back burnered (if not eliminated) if you acquired a Bestop Sunrider first.

And as sure as discipline on spending is advised, analysis paralysis, on the other side of the "don't spend right away" spectrum isn't necessary good either. You can always sell stuff you've purchased and taken care of in the used market to pay in part for gear that you at a later point feel better as a result of education, your own nuances, or simply introduction into the market brand new since you acquired what you now see as inferior product in the market space.

WhiskeyChick24

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Soon to be first time owner. Just ordered a 2021 Rubi, and was wondering what accessories should I be looking at? I may do some light offroading, but nothing intense. I ordered the 3 piece hard top and was thinking of either some sort of lift or garage wench for easy removal or maybe a bikini top. The problem is by the time I take delivery, it will be winter, so Im not sure there is a rush.

Any must haves or anything if you did it over you would "get that first"? Thanks so much!
This is going to be a long 6-9 weeks.
Congrats on your purchase. I too am soon to receive my very first Wrangler (Willys JLU in Sarge Green wIth tan interior). I know there’s a modification rabbit hole I’ll be sliding down over the years, but my first few mods will be more practical in nature. I plan to install a hood lock, locking gas cap, and 7” antenna to replace the old school tall flimsy metal antenna. I hear they bend rather easily in the car wash. Hood lock gas cap are an immediate must for me though since my baby will be street parked. Congrats again on the purchase of your Rubi. :dance:

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Soon to be first time owner. Just ordered a 2021 Rubi, and was wondering what accessories should I be looking at? I may do some light offroading, but nothing intense. I ordered the 3 piece hard top and was thinking of either some sort of lift or garage wench for easy removal or maybe a bikini top. The problem is by the time I take delivery, it will be winter, so Im not sure there is a rush.

Any must haves or anything if you did it over you would "get that first"? Thanks so much!
I think it is safety first, recovery second, convenience third.

First aid kit, fire extinguisher, flashlight (and headlamp), jumper cables and/or jump start battery (antigravity ones are great), knife and/or seatbelt cutter, basic tools, spare clothes/water/food. I also put radios (I have ham, cb, and gmrs) and cell phone holder/charger into this category.

Recovery depends on where you're going, but I carry a small shovel, 20' snatch cable, leather gloves, and a soft shackle at all times. If I'm going off-road I add a box with come along, bottle jack, tree saver, longer snatch rope, bigger shovel, and traction boards.

Convenience depends on use case and preference. My wife isn't that tall, so a good grab handle on the passenger side roll bar makes her happy. We also have a folding table on the tail gate as we like to do impromptu lunch wherever.

You can spend a little or a lot - but you'll spend...oh yes, you'll spend :LOL:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations! It's an exciting time and a difficult wait.
Rather than giving specific recommendations, I will say this. In every decision you make....in every dollar you spend prioritize function over everything else (appearance, what's the latest fad, what ur friend is doing). You'll live with this day in and day out...and later on down the road any item you add that doesn't have a specific important function for YOUR use youll regret spending the money and likely remove it or replace it with something else. Rather than spend money now spend time now researching what you need based on your usage needs and outcome dreams.
Use the SEARCH function on this forum and you can find out about nearly anything. Save you time and money and hassle.
Cheers!

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@KingBlotto Fred, here's another thought. Rather than focusing on what accessories to look at, maybe focus best belongs on the process of acquiring those accessories.

Practicing more as I say than do, figure out how much discretionary income you have, and when, to earmark for Wrangler stuff.

Develop a list of the items that interest you, along with their price and that of competing products in the space.

Prioritize that list, not only in terms of what you like best, but what's best to happen first and second in terms of a build, and what's time independent.

Hold on to that list for a bit. It's priorities might change. It might grow or even shrink as some purchases sort of negate the purchase of others. For example, if a soft top was high on your list it might get more back burnered (if not eliminated) if you acquired a Bestop Sunrider first.

And as sure as discipline on spending is advised, analysis paralysis, on the other side of the "don't spend right away" spectrum isn't necessary good either. You can always sell stuff you've purchased and taken care of in the used market to pay in part for gear that you at a later point feel better as a result of education, your own nuances, or simply introduction into the market brand new since you acquired what you now see as inferior product in the market space.
Sounds like sane, logical thinking.......................or just crazy talk to the average jeep obsessed fool.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Which hood lock is recommended ? I have seen the BOLT (Quadratec) and the MOPAR units. Not sure which way to go but I do like the idea of having my factory key unlock it.
I have quite a bit of experience with BOLT locks from towing a travel trailer behind my F-150. I have used their receiver lock, trailer coupler lock, cable lock, and padlock - all keyed to my truck's key. I have never had a single problem with any of them over the past 3 years and I love not having a bunch of other keys to keep up with. However, I can't speak for or against their hood lock yet, as I am still waiting for blue to become available again before ordering my Unlimited Rubicon.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have quite a bit of experience with BOLT locks from towing a travel trailer behind my F-150. I have used their receiver lock, trailer coupler lock, cable lock, and padlock - all keyed to my truck's key. I have never had a single problem with any of them over the past 3 years and I love not having a bunch of other keys to keep up with. However, I can't speak for or against their hood lock yet, as I am still waiting for blue to become available again before ordering my Unlimited Rubicon.
Can confirm the BOLT hood lock is worth the money. :)

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You will want to invest in "Redline Tuning hood quick lift". That was a mod with money well spent.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
You will want to invest in "Redline Tuning hood quick lift". That was a mod with money well spent.
+1 to this as well.... even the mechanics shop thanked me for having it on there lol.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a new JK in 2017 with duel tops. My delivery was set for late March so I was close to Spring. I knew when the Jeep came I was going to spend my free hours with it so I ordered a Top Lift Pro while waiting. It takes a good 3-4 hours to build. This way I had immediate removal capability.

8F15268E-7621-4258-9E3A-E1DD78B89986.jpeg

082D28B2-69E1-4F05-9F7C-509636CF23C4.jpeg

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

Fred,

Congratulations on your new Jeep order.

My first Jeep was a JK Rubicon 2 door. On 9/18/20, I ordered my second Jeep, a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited. I am hoping it will be here around Thanksgiving.

Based on what I added to my previous JK, one of the first things I will do to my new JL is to add Shrockworks rock sliders. I loved them. They bolted directly to the frame and do not touch the body or rocker panels. They protect the frame and rocker panels from the bottom side and the side of the body, doors and rocker panels from the side. They are so rigid that I could use my floor jack to jack up the entire side of the Jeep via the rock sliders. I did a few difficult trails and they protected my Jeep from damage several times. Also, I can park in parking lots without fear of door dings. And yes, I have a "no door ding policy" even on my Jeep. It's not easy being anal, but I am dealing with it. Only 3 more years of therapy to go!

I am not a fan of rock sliders that attach to the sheet metal body or rocker panels. The Shrockworks rock sliders look amazing and will be one of my first mods. Also, my wife is 5'4", so she uses the rock sliders to help step up into the Jeep.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

maybe save some money to replace the uconnect unit with an update that will work and to replace the steering components (all of them) with steer smarts and psc system so you can steer it. Good luck hope you get one that’s had all this addressed.
Sponsored