Just ordered my Jeep... Now what?

KingBlotto

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Audi Q7, Chapparal 227ssx
Soon to be first time owner. Just ordered a 2021 Rubi, and was wondering what accessories should I be looking at? I may do some light offroading, but nothing intense. I ordered the 3 piece hard top and was thinking of either some sort of lift or garage wench for easy removal or maybe a bikini top. The problem is by the time I take delivery, it will be winter, so Im not sure there is a rush.

Any must haves or anything if you did it over you would "get that first"? Thanks so much!
This is going to be a long 6-9 weeks.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d wait until you actually have the Jeep for a couple months to figure out exactly what to do with the hardtop, what type of bikini top to get and all that.

If you plan to hit the trails, no matter how easy or difficult, I’d get a tire deflator, a portable air compressor, and a recovery kit.

I have these and am very happy with them. In fact this is my third air compressor; the prior two croaked shortly after the 1-year warranty expired.

These come in different brands and prices, but they all do basically the same: remove and reinstall the valve stem for quick tire deflation.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just ordered my Jeep... Now what? 1601394646654

Something I learned from experience: if the compressor plugs into the cigarette lighter it likely is too light duty and not going to last. Get one that connects straight to the battery terminals.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92044_0008_07.htm
Jeep Wrangler JL Just ordered my Jeep... Now what? 1601394755290

Here are some ideas on what to include in your recovery kit: https://offroading.com/top-5-4x4-recovery-kits/
Jeep Wrangler JL Just ordered my Jeep... Now what? 1601395321894

Good luck!

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A JL Rubicon is really capable right off the lot.

Wait until just beforevspring on the lift fir the top.

Recovery gear and the other stuff that KingBlotto mentioned above. Skid plates would be nice to add.

Over the past 17mo, I added a winch, grill guard fir the steel bumper, a cargo area mat (already cane with the rubber Mopar mats), reciver straps, fire extinguisher, tral communications (get whatever those you may ride with use), F/R Rancho Diff Glider skid plates, first aid kit.I got new wheels, mostly because I had some money burning a hole in my pocket, but still running the stock KO2s.

There's places I don’t dare go to, but my JLUR is probably more capable that Im willing to try.

You've purchased arguably the most capable 4x4 made today. Use it and figure out what you need as you go.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

JLURUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
First thing I would add is rock sliders, I know the Rubicon comes with them stock but adding the additional tube rails are great for preventing door dings and body damage. My last Jeep was sideswiped at about 45mph with no body damage. Just bolt on new fenders and good as new. Someone backed into the side at the grocery store and saved us from any damage a second time.
These are the ones I had on my 2018. Lots of choices and similar designs out there for the JL.
https://aceengineeringandfab.com/products/jl-rock-sliders-4-door
I would look for a local Jeep club in my experience you’ll find a great group of people willing to take you on trail rides and help build your off road driving skills without breaking your new Jeep.

Enjoy!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Local ares have different needs. Like said above, drive it for awhile first, research and get with some local jeep guys. Then you will have a better idea of what direction you will want to go.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Whatever you do, don't order a pile of parts that you feel like you must install the first day. You don't want to be that guy with a bunch of accessories that don't work well together.

Oh, No angry eyes!

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Congrats on the order! I'm in on this thread as I too just ordered my first Jeep (2021 Rubicon) about 4 weeks ago and time is getting close to getting it. I've been pondering the same thing about how to deal with the hard top and accessories to add.

I'm honestly not planning to do much off roading at all so people would probably think I was nuts for getting a Rubicon. But I just mostly liked how cool they looked and like knowing I have the capability to go off road if I want lol. Also will be great dealing with winter snow we get in my area.

I'm not bought much so far though besides a shorter antenna and a center console organizer lol. I'm thinking about LED lights possibly. Not really sure what else. I did get the Mopar entry guards but now regretting that after seeing a post above. Hopefully they work okay for awhile as I'll use care getting in and out anyways.

I've also given thought to trying to protect my black hard top from UV and fading if I can. Have bought 303 Areospace and some ceramic spray which I plan to get on every 3-6 months or so.

Curious to see some other accessories people have bought.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Not to make a shameless plug but I believe our Sunrider for Hardtop is not only the best money you can spend on a hardtop Jeep, but also will give you the greatest enjoyment increase from your stock setup.
Aside from that, go out to dinner, buy your wife flowers, anything you can think of that will take some pocket money because once the bug bites, it bites for a while :LOL:

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Soon to be first time owner. Just ordered a 2021 Rubi, and was wondering what accessories should I be looking at? I may do some light offroading, but nothing intense. I ordered the 3 piece hard top and was thinking of either some sort of lift or garage wench for easy removal or maybe a bikini top. The problem is by the time I take delivery, it will be winter, so Im not sure there is a rush.

Any must haves or anything if you did it over you would "get that first"? Thanks so much!
Prepare to spend every last dime you ever earned ...:)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

First off Fred congratulations.

Given the impending colder months, if you can help it, I would definitely hold off on acquiring gear you don't otherwise need right now for a bunch of reasons; something I probably failed at miserably.

Time includes the possibility of sales, the time to research the pros and cons of various setups--a plethora of information for which exists on the forum (make "friends" with the Search facility here) and even the following notion:

"...building a rig is a process. Sure there's lots to do initially and mods thereafter that come in fits and spurts, but I'm not sure it quite ends until the rig is no longer yours, much that for all my personal feelings of urgency to get things done on my rig up front, I now look back on the process as fun and sort of regret that I don't feel like I have much more I want to add."

Some people never get that feeling, and of course mine I'm sure is subject to change, but I seem to have forgotten all the swear words when getting some mod to fit was challenging, and remember all the good times when I looked back on my work, large and small, and was proud/happy.

Anthropologists have explained this selective memory as an adaption we developed as humans to add more things to our Wrangler....

...oh wait, that's women and the pain of pregnancy/giving birth...sorry ;)