mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Totally agree, and let me give you an extreme example from the year I was born:

Let's say two friends each had $3,000 burning a hole in their pockets in 1955. One buys a brand new 1955 Porsche Speedster and the other, because he can't drive a stick, invests his $3,000 in the S&P 500. The dork (who can't drive a stick in 1955?) was dumb because 356 Speedsters are now one of the most sought after, best appreciating classic vehicles, ever - worth almost $300K today. 100x more than the original price. Great investment - right? Actually the non-stick shift guy's stock is now worth $350K and he didn't have to insure, maintain, and store the car for the last 65 years. And...the Speedster buyer wasn't allowed to drive it often for fear of damaging his investment.

The Porsche example was with PERFECT hindsight. Expecting a positive financial experience through investing in motor vehicles is largely a myth.

And...a 2021 Jeep ain't no '55 Porsche.
Very good example. Although the world may change a lot, many things remain the same. Best profit potential on the 392 is to flip immediately like the C8 example given. Even a fast $10K is still $10K.
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Very good example. Although the world may change a lot, many things remain the same. Best profit potential on the 392 is to flip immediately like the C8 example given. Even a fast $10K is still $10K.
Again the 392 isn't going to be a flipper like the C8 Stop using that as an example. The C8 was a perfect storm. Entirely new platform, now going mid engine, all the rags were giving it rave reviews, limited production capability out of the gate, dealers with waiting lists 1,000 people long (yes 1,000). Then Covid hit and only HALF the production that was thought to happen did happen. The early folks were ASKING $30K over. Maybe a few got this but not everyone.

NONE of the scenarios above are going to happen with a Jeep Wrangler that literally has already been out since 18 with the only change a V8. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Then let's talk about the taxes, registration etc and all the other costs you are going to pay to just get one of the first 392's. You are not going to flip it for much profit if any. If this is what you are thinking PLEASE go see a financial advisor as there are far better things to do with that money burning a hole in your pocket.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Does anyone purchase a Jeep as an investment? People purchase them to have fun.

Investment? Bah!!! That is just an excuse you tell others to justify the expenditure.

If you can afford it, go for it. Remember to post pics so the rest of us can lust.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just had a coworker find a 93 Ford Mustang Cobra with 12k miles on Craigslist for $13,000. He ran Carfax and it was clean, was skeptical. Met the seller and the car was mint. Title in hand.

He now has it back up for sale for $42,000. Two parties working with him now. Wish I had his luck.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
I’m not seeing how it’s even possible for it to be 65k? I’ve been building fully loaded 2.0 turbos for 62-63? Add the 3.6 and you have surpassed the 65k mark. This thing is every bit of 75k plus.
I do hope you wont be paying MSRP for whatever you buy,(Not talking 392) because you shouldnt be over 55k with leather.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Body color flares and hardtop as well as leather tools be a no go for me. Too bad they don’t give options on those
I can live with the leather, not the one touch and body color hardtop. As far as the body color flares go, I was talking to someone at the dealer and he told me his are all scratched up, just from people getting in and out of his jeep.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Again the 392 isn't going to be a flipper like the C8 Stop using that as an example. The C8 was a perfect storm. Entirely new platform, now going mid engine, all the rags were giving it rave reviews, limited production capability out of the gate, dealers with waiting lists 1,000 people long (yes 1,000). Then Covid hit and only HALF the production that was thought to happen did happen. The early folks were ASKING $30K over. Maybe a few got this but not everyone.

NONE of the scenarios above are going to happen with a Jeep Wrangler that literally has already been out since 18 with the only change a V8. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Then let's talk about the taxes, registration etc and all the other costs you are going to pay to just get one of the first 392's. You are not going to flip it for much profit if any. If this is what you are thinking PLEASE go see a financial advisor as there are far better things to do with that money burning a hole in your pocket.
"Stop using that as an example"? Well, I surely apologize for my half ass one time use of it as an example. You've shown above that the 392 can't possibly be similar. After all, it's "only a V8" for the change. I will just wait three months and get one half price!

P.S. Got a financial advisor you recommend? I've not done very well so far. I would be interested in one who knows which legos will be most collectable long term. Hell, maybe you should be it since you can see the future and say "NONE" of the scenarios above could possibly apply to the 392. Glad to hear covid is going away soon. Appreciate that future tidbit.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Totally agree, and let me give you an extreme example from the year I was born:

Let's say two friends each had $3,000 burning a hole in their pockets in 1955. One buys a brand new 1955 Porsche Speedster and the other, because he can't drive a stick, invests his $3,000 in the S&P 500. The dork (who can't drive a stick in 1955?) was dumb because 356 Speedsters are now one of the most sought after, best appreciating classic vehicles, ever - worth almost $300K today. 100x more than the original price. Great investment - right? Actually the non-stick shift guy's stock is now worth $350K and he didn't have to insure, maintain, and store the car for the last 65 years. And...the Speedster buyer wasn't allowed to drive it often for fear of damaging his investment.

The Porsche example was with PERFECT hindsight. Expecting a positive financial experience through investing in motor vehicles is largely a myth.

And...a 2021 Jeep ain't no '55 Porsche.
I know you are telling tales, because no man who owns a Porsche Speedster would be friends with another guy that claims he is a man but cannot drive a manual. The second guy would just be some chump that the first guy made fun of.

OP
OP

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Anyone know the width of the 392 beadlock capable wheels? Are they 8"? Trying to see if they could run 35" tires. Thanks
They looked pretty thin to me (not 12.5") honestly I would sell the tire and rims together and buy a new set. I also will go down to 35"s. I barely fit in garages now with my 2" and 35"s so I feel 37 wouldn't make it.

Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
They looked pretty thin to me (not 12.5") honestly I would sell the tire and rims together and buy a new set. I also will go down to 35"s. I barely fit in garages now with my 2" and 35"s so I feel 37 wouldn't make it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just ordered my 392! 1606164757470

OP
OP

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Just to clarify my original statement about the resale value.

I don't believe this will appreciate. 99.8% of cars depreciate 50% after 3 years, right? That's a standard rule of thumb. The good thing about Wranglers they depreciate about 30% give or take 5%. With this as a basis I'm thinking that the 392 WILL depreciate but at an even lower rate. Maybe 20% give or take 5% after 3 years. So if I'm extending my budget for $60k to $70 it's not that big of a deal because. Here's the math below

$60k Depreciate 30% = resale $42,000 = out of pocket throughout 3 years $18,000

$70k Depreciate 20% = resale $56,000 = out of pocket throughout 3 years $14,000

Will it depreciate? Yes!
Will it depreciate at a better rate? Hopefully!
Are you willing to roll the dice? YES! ...As long as I don't pay over sticker.

By the way, anyone reading this. DON"T PAY OVER STICKER! Stop letting these fucker get away with that shit. They do that because they know there's one guy out there who'll do it. It's us Vs them.

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat CC - Volvo XC70 - Ducati Monster 900 carbs - Ducati Hypermotard - Ducati Panigale -
Occupation
self employed
That was never my point or comparison? You took that completely out of context. That comment was made to a previous post stating that 'No new vehicle will be worth more once off the lot'....
I think the big difference between the new corvette and the wrangler is

wrangler community has dreamed about a V8 since years and years ... its like a dream coming true... or a last ride of the champion before entering in the electricity age....

the corvette is a shame... a corvette has always been a front engine supercars. not a fucking Italian or British copycat... do you think Porsche care about that ... no the 911 is still the queen and she respect her own tradition. Chevrolet shouldn't make this ugly C8 ( my opinion) with the engine there... would be more valuable in the future to keep the same architecture

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
This is from FCA's EZ Order program:
Customer Preferred Package 27X Package Contents
6.4L V8 SRT HEMI MDS Engine 0 0
8-Spd Auto 8HP75 Trans (Buy-Germany) 0 0
Package Value Price 0 0
NET PACKAGE PRICE 0 0

Unfortunately no pricing yet but they're telling us it will be released soon (don't hold your breath).

The standard features list is 5 pages long. I cannot post it but if you like I can email you a pdf. My email is [email protected].
Sponsored

Reactions: Dim