Sponsored

Just look at this R&T article about why the Bronco is a better Wrangler

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Get a load of this guy. Bronco is more comfy than a Wrangler so therefore superior.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a38375948/2021-ford-bronco-vs-wrangler/

The standard Bronco is a clear advancement of the form. It was created with a deep understanding of what Jeep buyers value versus what they say they value. Of course everyone wants their off-roader to be good off-road. But there’s no doubt that the vast majority of examples of either breed spend most of their time on pavement. Trading a bit of articulation for independent front suspension isn’t only a worthwhile deal for comfort, it also means the Bronco gets a proper modern rack-and-pinion steering system. This saves the driver from the thousands of small corrections any Wrangler requires with its vague and loose recirculating ball steering box, which is pure “Sixties dump truck” and not “sixty grand.”
…
It’s everything likable about the Wrangler, minus many annoyances. Steering that doesn’t exhaust the driver by demanding constant corrections. Doors that aren’t comically unwieldy. A roomier cabin. Mirrors that are permanently affixed to the truck. A suspension from this, or an adjacent, century. Modern, potent powertrains. Huge tires even on the cheap one.
These make driving the Bronco a joy. I did a 200-mile round trip drive to Philadelphia with the 2.7-liter, Bronco Black Diamond towo-door Sasquatch, a bunch of urban driving, a windy trek upstate, and an off-road trail. At every point, it felt special and interesting without being a chore. It was just refined enough to not be a chore on a long trip—something that can’t be said for a Wrangler—while still feeling rudimentary enough to communicate a clarity of purpose. Its 10-speed transmission is seamless and slick for the road, with low ratios that make off-road control easy.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
He ends with this?

For that reason, I love the Ford Bronco. But now that I understand it, I think I love the Wrangler, too.

Sponsored

300K06TJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler
Get a load of this guy. Bronco is more comfy than a Wrangler so therefore superior.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a38375948/2021-ford-bronco-vs-wrangler/

The standard Bronco is a clear advancement of the form. It was created with a deep understanding of what Jeep buyers value versus what they say they value. Of course everyone wants their off-roader to be good off-road. But there’s no doubt that the vast majority of examples of either breed spend most of their time on pavement. Trading a bit of articulation for independent front suspension isn’t only a worthwhile deal for comfort, it also means the Bronco gets a proper modern rack-and-pinion steering system. This saves the driver from the thousands of small corrections any Wrangler requires with its vague and loose recirculating ball steering box, which is pure “Sixties dump truck” and not “sixty grand.”
…
It’s everything likable about the Wrangler, minus many annoyances. Steering that doesn’t exhaust the driver by demanding constant corrections. Doors that aren’t comically unwieldy. A roomier cabin. Mirrors that are permanently affixed to the truck. A suspension from this, or an adjacent, century. Modern, potent powertrains. Huge tires even on the cheap one.
These make driving the Bronco a joy. I did a 200-mile round trip drive to Philadelphia with the 2.7-liter, Bronco Black Diamond towo-door Sasquatch, a bunch of urban driving, a windy trek upstate, and an off-road trail. At every point, it felt special and interesting without being a chore. It was just refined enough to not be a chore on a long trip—something that can’t be said for a Wrangler—while still feeling rudimentary enough to communicate a clarity of purpose. Its 10-speed transmission is seamless and slick for the road, with low ratios that make off-road control easy.
Don't worry about what Road & Track says, worry about what Off Road & Two Track says :) (Actually that sounds like a magazine I'd subscribe to)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove from Orlando, FL to Winson-Salem, NC yesterday. I was not exhausted from the steering, nor did I find my teeth falling out from a rough ride on I-95.
If I see one more silver spoon fed softie crying about the Jeep steering I'm going to slap him into next week! If he wants uncomfortable, try driving an armored HMMWV for 8 hours while wearing body armor. My Sahara with Rubi suspension is a luxury car in comparison.

This is the problem when you assign someone used to reviewing BMW and Lexus to review Jeeps and Broncos. Off road vehicles should be compared off road first and foremost! On road comfort is really secondary for a Jeep. That's why we should have an actual off road enthusiast doing the article instead of just any journalism school graduate.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I just drove from Orlando, FL to Winson-Salem, NC yesterday. I was not exhausted from the steering, nor did I find my teeth falling out from a rough ride on I-95.
If I see one more silver spoon fed softie crying about the Jeep steering I'm going to slap him into next week! If he wants uncomfortable, try driving an armored HMMWV for 8 hours while wearing body armor. My Sahara with Rubi suspension is a luxury car in comparison.

This is the problem when you assign someone used to reviewing BMW and Lexus to review Jeeps and Broncos. Off road vehicles should be compared off road first and foremost! On road comfort is really secondary for a Jeep. That's why we should have an actual off road enthusiast doing the article instead of just any journalism school graduate.
What I find odd is that these ride way better than sports cars. My BMW would rattle your teeth out.

They only talk about track performance for cars, then want on road performance for off-roaders??

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What I find odd is that these ride way better than sports cars. My BMW would rattle your teeth out.

They only talk about track performance for cars, then want on road performance for off-roaders??
lol I love the "Observed fuel economy" they report after they only do track testing.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
“BIT of articulation “ What’s his definition of “BIT”???
No kidding, even a Badlands only gains so much articulation from disconnecting... and it must be done under load. Hitting the button at the start of the trail is not allowed.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR

The Bronco may be more refined for daily usage by someone who won't be taking the vehicle off road. The reality is that the vast majority of jeeps and broncos are just expensive cosplay. People like the look of the vehicles and the lifestyle it may signal, but rarely actually live it (myself included).

I know some of the people on the forum may actually wheel their jeeps, but these are the exceptions, not the rule.

With that said, I have no illusions about my 392 driving as well or being as posh as my Grand Cherokee.

Sports cars with stiff suspension are just as bad as a wrangler imho. However, it is all about expectations.

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
I used to drive my 2012 Wrangler 5 hours to Chicago monthly. I've always said driving a Wrangler is like driving a sponge. It does require constant correction and it floats over bumps at highway speeds. It took me a while to be comfortable with it. But I loved it because it was a Jeep and I could take the top and doors off and go virtually anywhere I wanted in any weather!

I recently test drove a Bronco before placing an order on a 22 Wrangler. Yes, it's more akin to driving a modern truck than a 1941 Jeep. But it's also a lot bigger. It's different. For long trips, it probably is better than a Wrangler. Personally, I wasn't in love with it and decided to spend my money on a new Jeep.

I'm happy there are choices in the market that drives product improvement. Let people pick the one that makes them happy.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Before anybody criticizes the Bronco for being more street friendly go back through this entire forum and see how many posts you can find with Jeep owners complaining about the Jeep’s vague steering, seat discomfort and the “harsh ride” of the Rubicon model

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The Bronco may be more refined for daily usage by someone who won't be taking the vehicle off road. The reality is that the vast majority of jeeps and broncos are just expensive cosplay. People like the look of the vehicles and the lifestyle it may signal, but rarely actually live it (myself included).

I know some of the people on the forum may actually wheel their jeeps, but these are the exceptions, not the rule.

With that said, I have no illusions about my 392 driving as well or being as posh as my Grand Cherokee.

Sports cars with stiff suspension are just as bad as a wrangler imho. However, it is all about expectations.
Prepare to be pleasantly surprised by how good the 392 rides. It’s comparable to my GC in sport mode
Sponsored