Just look at this R&T article about why the Bronco is a better Wrangler

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I don't take it personally, and I did a lot of research on the Bronco before buying a Jeep. I think Ford did a pretty good job for a first year vehicle. Not the roll out but the vehicle itself if you can get one. I find it funny though that the first thing he did was exclude to engines options in the jeep right off the bat. It also sounds like he hasn't got any real seat time in a JL on road or off. If he does than he is really a bigger idiot than he sounds like.

I just took my 2021 JL to the NC/TN are for 8 days and was off road, and on road 7 out of the 8 days including a 125 mile trip to Windrock. I had absolutely no issue with the steering. Now truth be told I also own a 2020 Ram 1500 big horn crew cab 4x4 and the steering in it is like driving a sports car, so no the Jeep steering is not as good as a lot of vehicles out there. My point though is the JL isn't so bad that I don't want to drive it. He makes it sound like he would be dreading even getting into a JL because it steers so bad. Which in my opinion simply is no the case.

He also sounds like he doesn't understand that the jeep was purpose built for off road first, and on road second., where in my opinion the Bronco was really targeted for more on road first, beech goers, mall crawlers etc. first, off road second.

Ford has tried to really market the Bronco on a few items that are supposedly better than a Jeep. Like doors that don't have frames, really, jeeps have had half doors forever. In MHO jeep doors are easier to take off because you have a frame you can roll the window down and grab a hold of to carry the door. Try gabbing the tall Bronco door and not dropping it and be able to stand it on the floor against the wall with your fingers under it.

Doors that fit in the back, ok. He even mentions it, no cargo space left. I am waiting to see how many Bronco doors start showing up on Ebay and places because people take the roof off, or soft tops down and go to the mall or beech or anywhere and come out to find no doors in the back of their Bronco. LOL.

And mirrors that stay on, ok. I watched videos in the office at Windrock. There are trails that only a Jeep Wrangler just barley fits on. I mean these guys were scraping their tires and bead lock wheels getting through a lot of these trails. Not only will the Bronco not even fit down these trails at all, attempt it with the mirrors on and see what happens.

Oh, well Love me Jeep and it was cheaper than a Bronco with the same abilities.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Before anybody criticizes the Bronco for being more street friendly go back through this entire forum and see how many posts you can find with Jeep owners complaining about the Jeepā€™s vague steering, seat discomfort and the ā€œharsh rideā€ of the Rubicon model
I remember they were usually dismissed by more seasoned Jeepers.

I also regularly drive full size pickups with IFS and I have to make just as many corrections to the steering as I do in my Jeep to keep my lane. The Jeep's steering ain't worth getting so upset over.

I'll reserve the right to change this train of thought if the Bronco really does turn out to have a sports car like steering feel and the on road comfort of a Lexus. That is if I ever get to test drive one...

OP
OP
John VonJeep

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Doors that fit in the back, ok. He even mentions it, no cargo space left. I am waiting to see how many Bronco doors start showing up on Ebay and places because people take the roof off, or soft tops down and go to the mall or beech or anywhere and come out to find no doors in the back of their Bronco. LOL.
Thatā€™s actually a hilarious image.

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I ordered a Wrangler in August, but I'm totally the person Ford designed the Bronco for.

I have convertible desires, but SUV needs. I'm sure I'll enjoy driving over things, but that's not the reason I bought it.

I'm saying this without regrets, but I'd prefer the IFS, wider interior, frameless doors, and larger screen in the base models.

Ford built it the way the majority of users will use it. Jeep built theirs for the minority... well there is certain things they're keeping for the minority while trying to modernize the rest.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The point that all these stupid car magazine people miss is that a Grand Cherokee, a Honda Pilot, a Subaru Outback, even an archaic 4Runner, drives better, is more comfortable and efficient than a Ford Bronco.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove from Orlando, FL to Winson-Salem, NC yesterday. I was not exhausted from the steering, nor did I find my teeth falling out from a rough ride on I-95.
If I see one more silver spoon fed softie crying about the Jeep steering I'm going to slap him into next week! If he wants uncomfortable, try driving an armored HMMWV for 8 hours while wearing body armor. My Sahara with Rubi suspension is a luxury car in comparison.

This is the problem when you assign someone used to reviewing BMW and Lexus to review Jeeps and Broncos. Off road vehicles should be compared off road first and foremost! On road comfort is really secondary for a Jeep. That's why we should have an actual off road enthusiast doing the article instead of just any journalism school graduate.
I drove my brand new 392 from Horsham PA to Orlando FL. Very comfortable ride and steering was perfect

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Road & Track has ZERO credibility with trucks. Period.

The fact that they even attempt to write an article comparing two off-road vehicles is in itself laughable. They might as well do an article on motor boats... šŸ˜«

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
I fully concur with this Road & Track assessment! If you live in an area close enough to do a 200-mile round trip road drive to Philadelphia and if you are sufficiently focused on road and track driving to be reading Road & Track magazine, then I'm absolutely sure a Ford, perhaps a Ford Bronco, is the better vehicle for you.

But, if those criteria apply to you, why are you posting on this forum? Why are you on this forum?

JeepKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys, previous 80 CJ5
Occupation
retired, rewired
Get a load of this guy. Bronco is more comfy than a Wrangler so therefore superior.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a38375948/2021-ford-bronco-vs-wrangler/

The standard Bronco is a clear advancement of the form. It was created with a deep understanding of what Jeep buyers value versus what they say they value. Of course everyone wants their off-roader to be good off-road. But thereā€™s no doubt that the vast majority of examples of either breed spend most of their time on pavement. Trading a bit of articulation for independent front suspension isnā€™t only a worthwhile deal for comfort, it also means the Bronco gets a proper modern rack-and-pinion steering system. This saves the driver from the thousands of small corrections any Wrangler requires with its vague and loose recirculating ball steering box, which is pure ā€œSixties dump truckā€ and not ā€œsixty grand.ā€
ā€¦
Itā€™s everything likable about the Wrangler, minus many annoyances. Steering that doesnā€™t exhaust the driver by demanding constant corrections. Doors that arenā€™t comically unwieldy. A roomier cabin. Mirrors that are permanently affixed to the truck. A suspension from this, or an adjacent, century. Modern, potent powertrains. Huge tires even on the cheap one.
These make driving the Bronco a joy. I did a 200-mile round trip drive to Philadelphia with the 2.7-liter, Bronco Black Diamond towo-door Sasquatch, a bunch of urban driving, a windy trek upstate, and an off-road trail. At every point, it felt special and interesting without being a chore. It was just refined enough to not be a chore on a long tripā€”something that canā€™t be said for a Wranglerā€”while still feeling rudimentary enough to communicate a clarity of purpose. Its 10-speed transmission is seamless and slick for the road, with low ratios that make off-road control easy.
Really I canā€™t wait for my JLU-W to come in one of these weeks. I know when it does I wonā€™t care a lick about any Bronco though. When I was dating my wife 40 some years ago I had a CJ5 for crying out loud. It would go 55-60mph with some effort, but the fun was always evident especially when the pavement ended. If someone else values a ride akin to a Suburban or Expedition, go enjoy it, for me Iā€™ll take the untamed
Sponsored