Sponsored

Just know that your JLU holds 21 gallons of Fuel.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
It seems the pluses and minuses of both systems make the discussion moot. I still think immigration and other factors contribute to this. The below article is interesting in that if you stay healthy Canada is better but if you're healthy you don't need Healthcare beyond prevention and if you get sick or diseased then the US is better. I have good healthcare and while it is not free and to some maybe expensive I have learned in life nothing is actually free so personal trade offs.
Is Canada’s Health Care System Better Than Ours in the US? | US Issues (us-issues.com)

In any event thanks for the Gas Tank information and will be using it for another tool of accuracy in my travels. When I was young I ran out of gas and had to push multiple times. Now that I am older I am a little wiser but still sometimes run it low LOL maybe I didn't learn anything but I have fun while i'm running
Sponsored

TammieWtn

First Name
Tammie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
You f#*ers only pay 58 $ for 21 gallons of fuel?! I made the conversion using canadian prices: it's 107 $CAN (87 US$ with the currency rate) on the other side of the border!

You...sons...of...bitches. :)
We're currently paying $1.39/litre in the Okanagan area of BC. As you get closer to Vancouver, prices are $1.52/litre (insert angry face emoji!). $40 barely gets half a tank for me

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
It seems the pluses and minuses of both systems make the discussion moot. I still think immigration and other factors contribute to this. The below article is interesting in that if you stay healthy Canada is better but if you're healthy you don't need Healthcare beyond prevention and if you get sick or diseased then the US is better. I have good healthcare and while it is not free and to some maybe expensive I have learned in life nothing is actually free so personal trade offs.
Is Canada’s Health Care System Better Than Ours in the US? | US Issues (us-issues.com)

In any event thanks for the Gas Tank information and will be using it for another tool of accuracy in my travels. When I was young I ran out of gas and had to push multiple times. Now that I am older I am a little wiser but still sometimes run it low LOL maybe I didn't learn anything but I have fun while i'm running
Of course, if you're very healthy and don't need to see the doctor, not paying for the service is less expensive. The best service is always the one you never pay for.

But then, oops, you end up needing one.

What I was trying to say earlier is the fact that Canadians made the choice to go public. And the more it goes, the less our healthcare system is expensive (people are healthier, more prevention for a healthy lifestyle, etc.)

The bet paid off on the long run. But making a link between taxes for gas (whiches are very high in Canada) and the healthcare system is wrong. Most of the time, the money's used to pay for infrastructures, social programs and such. We're about 36 millions to keep a lifestyle that's similar to a neighbour nation that's more than 350 millions folks. Of course, we need to find ways to pay. Taxes on gas is one of them. But the fact is: our healthcare system never cost so little to manage. And it keeps decreasing year after year. We spend half the amount per capita for our system that USA does. It's a s*** ton of money. Which is why, from the outside, we just don't get how and why USA keeps insisting on keeping its system. Honestly, it's a puzzle for us.

Is Canada's healthcare system perfect? Absolutely not. Just like any other systems, there are major flaws here and there, that we fix one after the other. But it works and it saves a ton of money, but for people and for the federal and provincial states. And nobody's going bankrupt because he or she needs care. Nobody. That's the major plus.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
but still sometimes run it low
Around town I don't do enough driving these days to be a problem- I get below 1/2 tank I go and fill up. Never knowing what might happen I want to be prepared with plenty of gas in all of our vehicles.

Where my anxiety comes is when traveling. I do a lot of traveling out in places where towns and gas stations are pretty far apart. I have a few of the major gas credit cards and I prefer to use them, but sometimes in small towns none of these brands exist. And I'm all about convenience so I'll look for stations that are near exits, easy to get to , etc. And traveling on interstates sometimes you don't know where a station is until you've already passed the exit. I frequently check my range and consider how far it is to the next town, wondering if I should wait until the next town after that. And the range seems to mysteriously go down quickly when you get close to zero so can't completely depend on that either. In our old GC many years ago I was driving in West Texas and getting low. The town where I intended to stop didn't have any open gas stations so I had to keep going. I was sure I was running on my last drops when I found a Stuckey's that was open.

This might have been in Pueblo CO - I exited and was looking for a gas station. I saw a Shell station down the road and I had that credit card. I was going down one way streets trying to get to that station when I found an Exxon station so I pulled in there. I couldn't get my credit card to work so I had to put on my covid mask and go inside to inquire why their equipment wasn't working. The guy inside informed me that my Shell card wouldn't work in their pumps. I didn't say anything and just walked out.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The reason I have the Rotopaxs are because when I was going across Nevada on HYW 50 (nicknamed the loneliest HYW) I almost ran out of gas. There were no gas stations showing up on the google map or with the UConnect. I saw a run down bar about 1/4 mile off the road with an above ground fuel tank. Stopped and got gas. My Jeep took 20.4 gallons and it was about 30 or 40 miles to the next fuel station.

The bar had the old fuel pump where you throw the lever to one side and the mechanical dials spin back to zero......

Jeep Wrangler JL Just know that your JLU holds 21 gallons of Fuel. 1620316344573

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The bar had the old fuel pump where you throw the lever to one side and the mechanical dials spin back to zero......
Wow... Was it one of those fancy ones where the price can be set over 99.9 cents/gal or did they make you "do math"?

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Fuel in Tahoe ain't cheap :swear:
Jeep Wrangler JL Just know that your JLU holds 21 gallons of Fuel. 1620316344573
At that point i’d walk. I thought gas in miami was bad but you’re a whole dollar per gallon over my average here.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
At that point i’d walk. I thought gas in miami was bad but you’re a whole dollar per gallon over my average here.
We get screwed badly on all energy-related products in CA. This was the price just a short 25 mile drive over to NV.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just know that your JLU holds 21 gallons of Fuel. 20210503_092522

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The reason I have the Rotopaxs are because when I was going across Nevada on HYW 50 (nicknamed the loneliest HYW) I almost ran out of gas.
Normally I would not worry about carrying extra fuel but I'm planning a trip to Canyonlands Maze where it will be 200+ miles of offroad. On a trip with less offroad I got 15mpg. With a lot of offroad I wonder if this would be pushing my luck. I'm going to probably buy a spare 5 gallon can to carry in the back and put it in the tank as soon as I can. I may only need this for one or two trips so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

Back in the gas crisis of 1974 or so I had to make 600 mile trips on various weekends, and gas stations were closed on Sundays. My dad made and rigged a round gas tank that would go in my car underneath where the full size spare was, and I would just strap my spare on the luggage rack. Then I could make the 300 mile return trip without stops. The fuel systems were much simpler then with mechanical pumps and no emissions plumbing. You could just splice a valve into the supply line going from the tank. We did a lot of extra tank installs on pickups- the factory tank was a long tank under one side of the bed, we added a similar tank under the other side of the bed.
Sponsored