Sponsored

Just installed Sky one touch retractable power soft top

Jeep Realtor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee Overland 4x4 2018 Chrysler Pacifica LimitEd S 2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Realtor
Thanks for sharing this thread. I originally thought this was cool, but still planed on the dual top option with color matched top when I order my 2019 JLUR. More and more I think I’m leaning towards this option now. As I’m getting older and busier with work and the kids and wheeling less and less (sold my 2012 JKUR earlier this year), I think of how easy this would be. No more having to deal with storage of a soft top in the winter and a hard top in the summer taking up valuable garage space and height (I have a Lange Hoist and 8.5/9’ ceilings in a 2 car garage). I do wonder for dollars and cents which way would be better to order, with this, or with dual tops and order pieces and put together. Admittidedly im a former mod junkie and like options, lol. Debating on bright white (again), ocean blue, or bikini (depending on what it actually is), with colored matched fender flares and top (another reason I like this top). I wonder how Mopar half doors would look with this top with uppers removed and side windows on the power top. Hmmm

Last edited:

Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR (Awaiting Delivery - Order Date 7/20/18), Billet Silver, 3.6 V6, 8 spd. Auto, Sky One-Touch Power Roof, Leather Interior, Color Fender Flares, Remote Proximity Keyless, Steel Bumper, Safety Group, Infotainment, LED Group. Trailer Tow
Occupation
Retired Lawyer
Curtis:

I have been following your "Sky One-Touch Power Top" story from day one. First, let me say that I found your project a courageous journey. Your purchase of the parts was made all the more daring in light of the early trouble FCA experienced during the manufacturing process. As you probably know, at one point, new orders that included the power top for the 2018 Jeep JLU were halted. The public was left to wonder if the factory was experiencing alignment issues or whether the power top design was simply "not ready for prime time."

As a new first time Jeep buyer, I struggled in deciding whether to order the hard top, soft top or power top. Removing the hard top was a cumbersome affair that caused me to speculate that it might be a rare occasion that I would go through all the trouble. I also kept coming back to the question of what I was expected to do in the event I was caught in a rain storm.

The soft top design was impressively improved via the new sliding panels. However, from a practical stand point, I use the rear hatch area of my current SUV (BMW X5) on a daily basis for the transport of my golden retriever. Simply opening the Jeep JLU tailgate provided insufficient access to the cargo area and would require me to repeatedly dislodge the soft top side(s) and hold up the canvas, all while encouraging my large dog to jump in the vehicle. I also read some complaints that the quality of the soft top was lacking and some new JLU owners were complaining of inexcusable early wear & tear.

It was for the above reasons that on July 20th, I factory ordered a 2018 JLUR Silver Billet with a Sky One-Touch Power Top. (Current Build Status: D1). However, I have since been concerned about the aesthetic appearance of the JLU Power Top vehicle when the doors and the side windows are removed. For reference, I have included photos below of the naked soft top and naked power top. I read a post where someone commented that because of the rear painted corner struts holding up the roof and the rear window, the naked JLU power top Jeep resembled a vehicle that was never finished on the assembly line.I am writing to ask your consideration in commenting on the following matters:

1. Since installing the power top, have you removed the doors and side windows? If yes, how did you find the appearance of the vehicle?
2. Can the rear window be removed? If yes, does it improve the appearance of the vehicle and how much effort and time would it take to remove the rear window?
3. Can the two rear painted corner struts supporting the roof be removed? If yes,how much effort and time would it take to remove these additional parts as well?

Thank you again for being a true "Pioneer" with respect to Jeep's new Sky One-Touch Power Top.

upload_2018-8-11_15-42-52.png

2018 JLU Soft Top Naked
upload_2018-8-11_15-43-36.png

2018 JLU Power Top Naked

OP
OP

STLJL

Curtis:
1. Since installing the power top, have you removed the doors and side windows? If yes, how did you find the appearance of the vehicle?
I haven’t removed the doors yet, at all due to a very adventurous toddler in the back seat! I do prefer the appearance of the completely removed top vs the naked sky one touch
2. Can the rear window be removed? If yes, does it improve the appearance of the vehicle and how much effort and time would it take to remove the rear window?
the rear window can be removed easily. There are 4 screws, 2 struts, the hose for rear sprayer and wire for rear defrost. I don’t know if the holes would eventually strip out with repeated removal and reinstall, but this process would be less time then removing a complete hard top...glass storage might be an issue.
3. Can the two rear painted corner struts supporting the roof be removed? If yes,how much effort and time would it take to remove these additional parts as well?
The rear struts can not be individually removed. Please see my precious post on full removal process. Rear strut is final step in removing individual sections

Thank you again for being a true "Pioneer" with respect to Jeep's new Sky One-Touch Power Top.
Thank you!!!

2018 JLU Soft Top Naked

2018 JLU Power Top Naked

Sponsored

OP
OP

STLJL

I performed my own spray test at the car wash and had no leaks.
The only negative issue I have over the standard hard top is a little more highway noise. My wife didn’t notice a difference, but when passing louder vehicles or motorcycles I can tell. For comparison purposes I did have the factory installed head liner in my hard top.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Curtis:

I have been following your "Sky One-Touch Power Top" story from day one. First, let me say that I found your project a courageous journey. Your purchase of the parts was made all the more daring in light of the early trouble FCA experienced during the manufacturing process. As you probably know, at one point, new orders that included the power top for the 2018 Jeep JLU were halted. The public was left to wonder if the factory was experiencing alignment issues or whether the power top design was simply "not ready for prime time."

As a new first time Jeep buyer, I struggled in deciding whether to order the hard top, soft top or power top. Removing the hard top was a cumbersome affair that caused me to speculate that it might be a rare occasion that I would go through all the trouble. I also kept coming back to the question of what I was expected to do in the event I was caught in a rain storm.

The soft top design was impressively improved via the new sliding panels. However, from a practical stand point, I use the rear hatch area of my current SUV (BMW X5) on a daily basis for the transport of my golden retriever. Simply opening the Jeep JLU tailgate provided insufficient access to the cargo area and would require me to repeatedly dislodge the soft top side(s) and hold up the canvas, all while encouraging my large dog to jump in the vehicle. I also read some complaints that the quality of the soft top was lacking and some new JLU owners were complaining of inexcusable early wear & tear.

It was for the above reasons that on July 20th, I factory ordered a 2018 JLUR Silver Billet with a Sky One-Touch Power Top. (Current Build Status: D1). However, I have since been concerned about the aesthetic appearance of the JLU Power Top vehicle when the doors and the side windows are removed. For reference, I have included photos below of the naked soft top and naked power top. I read a post where someone commented that because of the rear painted corner struts holding up the roof and the rear window, the naked JLU power top Jeep resembled a vehicle that was never finished on the assembly line.I am writing to ask your consideration in commenting on the following matters:

2018 JLU Soft Top Naked

2018 JLU Power Top Naked

Is it me or are the 2 pics not visible?

JeepN3RD

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2a, 2019 JLU Sport S
I am also interested in your thoughts with doors and rear corners removed, do you "notice" the rear hatch glass, and if you can let us know maybe how it goes with hatch down (in place) and if you can pop it "up" and let air blow through that way?

Sponsored

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
What are the part numbers for the switch and trim?

OP
OP

STLJL

I am also interested in your thoughts with doors and rear corners removed, do you "notice" the rear hatch glass, and if you can let us know maybe how it goes with hatch down (in place) and if you can pop it "up" and let air blow through that way?
Sorry I tried to answer each question individually but they all ended up as a large kryptic post!

6C975F0F-5E41-4C57-985B-D9F13185E10E.jpeg

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
With or without autodimmimg mirror? Different part numbers for various options
Without autodimming mirror. Please include harness #, etc... THANKS!

OP
OP

STLJL

Here’s all of them! Make sure you match ALL of the options you have with the different codes associated with the part numbers. The harnesses are included with the trim specific to those factory equipped options. I had to do a lot of research to find out what each code represented. If you need anything further please contact Benny with Allmoparparts.com. He can be found on this site. They were able to get parts my dealership couldn’t order.

MOLDING, Windshield, [ST1] OR [ST2] OR [ST3] OR [ST8]
6BM15TX7AD

MOLDING, Windshield, [STJ], [GNC]
6CK91TX7AD

MOLDING, Windshield, [ST1]
OR [ST2] OR [ST3] OR [ST8], 6NS38TX7AC [GNC]

MOLDING, Windshield, [ST1]
OR [ST2] OR [ST3] OR [ST8], 6NS39TX7AC [GNC], [GNK]

MOLDING, Windshield, [STJ], [GNC], [GNK]
6NS56TX7AC

MOLDING, Windshield, [STA] OR [STB] OR [STC]
6PN44TX7AC