Sponsored

Just Installed EVO 2.5 Overland Boost w/ extensions

eddybarba

First Name
eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTUR Demon Motor, 2018 JLUR 392 swap, 2015 JKU Rubi RIPP'd 392 swap, 2020 Porsche Macan S, 2017 F250 6.7, 2020 Corvette C8, 2016 Nissan GTR
So I figured I'd give everyone my impressions.

I'll start by saying I've owned 7 jeeps and besides a RK long arm kit, I've done all the work myself. I'm not a mechanic but I'm pretty capable.

First thought's on drive, b/c that's what's most important. Drives great, other than being taller, drives exactly like it did before, that being said it only has 250 miles, and 100 on the kit so I don't have much time with it. Picked up the JLUR tuesday and did the lift friday and saturday. Still have the 33, but ordered 37's which should be here next week mounted on hutchinson rock monsters.

On the JK's i can do a boost in about two hours and a full lift with all 8 arms in 4-5. Considering this kit didn't have the arms I thought I'd knock it out quickly... turned into an 8 hour job. It was a little bit of a pain, but I did enjoy really working on the new jl. I had offered to help a friend install his own evo lift but seriously reconsidering.

I was annoyed by the instructions and lack thereof. I understand they wanted to be first to market and they did a lot of R&D, which shows in the kit, but they really should have spent more time on the actual install instructions. Some parts had very detailed diagrams, but I really would have liked to have a note as to which side the diagram was talking about, i.e. passenger, driver, front, rear. Stupid, and I figured it out, but when you're tired and it's late you don't want to need to spend 10 minutes figuring those things out.

For now I wanted to keep the ride quality, and I didn't want to test new shocks. In time I'll get something else, but for now I went with the shock extensions. So I start the install, rear first since the sway bar links from rear are used in the front, and I find out there are no instructions for the extensions. For the life of me I couldn't figure them out, I did call EVO on a friday afternoon and they were great about getting their tech to call me back and walk me through and he even sent me pics of how the install is supposed to go. He did not have access to the actual instructions though, and there was drilling required. The rear install went fine besides the shocks.

The overland kit was important to me so as to keep the geometry, but if you're doing this by yourself be prepared to spend some time aligning the upper and lower arms so the bolts go through. You have to remove the lower trackbar bolt, and once you do the axle shifts. It was a bear to get everything lined up. Spent two hours just on that. The brake line extension instructions were terrible. They have multiple holes and they're not clear on how exactly to install, had to figure it out but I think I got it right. Lastly, maybe it was just in my kit by a simple mistake, but the nut and bolt in the kit which attaches the shock to the now raised front shock mount was a different pitch. The bolt had a different pitch thread than the locking nut. Luckily I had a nut that fit so I was able to get it done.

Overall, very pleased with the ride and the quality of the kit. I have their coil over kit on my Jk so I expected a quality product. I just hope they make the install instructions more user friendly, at least for those of us who are DIY.

Thanks for reading,
Eddy
Sponsored

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
Thank you very much! I planned on doing that evo lift since there are problems with the mopar lift. Is this the exact one you have? And are shock extensions needed or not? What's the benefit?

1F9E3672-66FC-4830-AA01-BB344D604C4A.jpeg

OP
OP
eddybarba

eddybarba

First Name
eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTUR Demon Motor, 2018 JLUR 392 swap, 2015 JKU Rubi RIPP'd 392 swap, 2020 Porsche Macan S, 2017 F250 6.7, 2020 Corvette C8, 2016 Nissan GTR
Thank you very much! I planned on doing that evo lift since there are problems with the mopar lift. Is this the exact one you have? And are shock extensions needed or not? What's the benefit?

Hey Izzy, yes that is the exact same one I bought.
I'm not the best qualified to answer the extension question, and if someone has a better answer please let us know.
From what I understand, if you keep you stock shocks without extensions and you flex you'll max out the shocks. The extensions allow full articulation. If you're not going to wheel much, and you plan on doing shocks later, then you probably may not need them now. They're not too expensive and I wanted to keep the stock ride quality, so I ordered the stock extension kit.

BTW, I didn't mention it above, but there's no bowing whatsoever on the springs like on the mopar kits.

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
I spoke to my Jeep shop. They convinced me to go with the stage 2 of this version, gonna order it later this week. Thanks!

OP
OP
eddybarba

eddybarba

First Name
eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll be happy with them, just make sure they give you an install price before.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
So I figured I'd give everyone my impressions.

I'll start by saying I've owned 7 jeeps and besides a RK long arm kit, I've done all the work myself. I'm not a mechanic but I'm pretty capable.

First thought's on drive, b/c that's what's most important. Drives great, other than being taller, drives exactly like it did before, that being said it only has 250 miles, and 100 on the kit so I don't have much time with it. Picked up the JLUR tuesday and did the lift friday and saturday. Still have the 33, but ordered 37's which should be here next week mounted on hutchinson rock monsters.

On the JK's i can do a boost in about two hours and a full lift with all 8 arms in 4-5. Considering this kit didn't have the arms I thought I'd knock it out quickly... turned into an 8 hour job. It was a little bit of a pain, but I did enjoy really working on the new jl. I had offered to help a friend install his own evo lift but seriously reconsidering.

I was annoyed by the instructions and lack thereof. I understand they wanted to be first to market and they did a lot of R&D, which shows in the kit, but they really should have spent more time on the actual install instructions. Some parts had very detailed diagrams, but I really would have liked to have a note as to which side the diagram was talking about, i.e. passenger, driver, front, rear. Stupid, and I figured it out, but when you're tired and it's late you don't want to need to spend 10 minutes figuring those things out.

For now I wanted to keep the ride quality, and I didn't want to test new shocks. In time I'll get something else, but for now I went with the shock extensions. So I start the install, rear first since the sway bar links from rear are used in the front, and I find out there are no instructions for the extensions. For the life of me I couldn't figure them out, I did call EVO on a friday afternoon and they were great about getting their tech to call me back and walk me through and he even sent me pics of how the install is supposed to go. He did not have access to the actual instructions though, and there was drilling required. The rear install went fine besides the shocks.

The overland kit was important to me so as to keep the geometry, but if you're doing this by yourself be prepared to spend some time aligning the upper and lower arms so the bolts go through. You have to remove the lower trackbar bolt, and once you do the axle shifts. It was a bear to get everything lined up. Spent two hours just on that. The brake line extension instructions were terrible. They have multiple holes and they're not clear on how exactly to install, had to figure it out but I think I got it right. Lastly, maybe it was just in my kit by a simple mistake, but the nut and bolt in the kit which attaches the shock to the now raised front shock mount was a different pitch. The bolt had a different pitch thread than the locking nut. Luckily I had a nut that fit so I was able to get it done.

Overall, very pleased with the ride and the quality of the kit. I have their coil over kit on my Jk so I expected a quality product. I just hope they make the install instructions more user friendly, at least for those of us who are DIY.

Thanks for reading,
Eddy
can you please post a photo of it thank you

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
THAT MUCH FOR A COUPLE PIECES OF PLASTIC AND BRACKETS

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Doesn't come with shocks either

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
THAT MUCH FOR A COUPLE PIECES OF PLASTIC AND BRACKETS
EVO uses rigid steel spacers, still high for a spacer lift. Control arm drop brackets aren’t really needed on the JL for a 2.5” lift, in fact they sell the same kit without them, personal preference and budget is what all these different kits boil down.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Not sure where this add is from but the same kit on EVOs site is listed at $649.99

Atticus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skitch.eu
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.2L CRDi 1941 MOPAR Edition
Occupation
A Dude just hanging out :)
Vehicle Showcase
In my most humble opinion because I also had the EVO stage one 2.5 JLU overland lift...it is garbage on a JLU at least. Mine came with icon shocks (crap) It looks cool. But the extension shock brackets attach with one tiny metal screw. And if you would ever actually use the Jeep off-road as soon as your axel drops the springs pop out unless you upgraded your springs to a heavy dusty set. Load capacity is crap on this kit. Stability is garbage and it feels like a floating Cadillac. This was just my experience. But since this post is old maybe some of you guys could share your current experience with the kit. Or maybe how different it was then mine.Now since you have had them for almost 2 years.
Sponsored