2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
F23AFD4B-DAD4-4002-8D87-17A89B9FD0CD.jpeg
AD883F3D-6E84-44AB-B4E0-5C260D2D7F50.jpeg
B9F30C34-B604-4D3E-AA0E-CC11CC6C2D3F.jpeg
15723881-34A3-4A85-BEBB-4CD3935B11E6.jpeg

My St. Patrick’s Day was spent installing these bad boys onto the big bad boy.

Took a lot longer than I’m willing to admit. Turns out the right tools make all the difference in the world. Lay off me, I usually build computers.

It was damn fun though. I recorded a lot of the process with my GoPro. I’ll upload that footage to YouTube after it’s been compiled. It’s supposed to be an instructional video, but it’s possible some may consider it a comedy. So long as you’re laughing with me and not at me, it’ll be fine.

There are no instructions that come with the parts. As a noob, I found that quite annoying. Thankfully there is an instructional video on their website. There are also some videos for JK installs too. Best advice I can give you is to expect the unscrewing of the body mount bolts to be the hardest part. A breaker bar makes all the difference in the world. Those damn screws are tricky bastards. Make sure you apply downward pressure once they’ve been unsecured from the body. They’ll eventually pop out. Having someone around to help with mounting the rails helps, but you can use the box and foam padding to assist if you’re alone.

Tools needed:

18mm socket with 1/2 inch drive
Breaker Bar (1/2 inch drive)
Torque wrench (same)
Beer

Install time: Nunya. Let’s say you can get it done eventually and leave it at that.

They’re very solid and really add to the rugged look of the Wrangler. They sit pretty flush with the body. I installed them with the Rubi rock sliders still installed. Gives the car a more “meaty” appearance. They’ll add 100 pounds to the weight of the vehicle, and you’ll notice it slightly when you first take the ride for a spin. Worth it though. They’re awesome.

I’ve thrown in a before picture for reference. I’ll have more pics of the full vehicle later, you impatient bastards.
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dreadnought_Leviathan

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
I’ll need to have them torqued to spec. Glad you posted, otherwise I never would have known!
Ace Engineering as of 3/13/18 says this in regard to the torque specs: "The rear 2 bolts should be torqued to 80 ft/lbs, same as the JK. For the front bolts the information we're getting from Jeep dealerships is 49 ft/lbs + a 155 degree turn."

SJWaters

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS 350, 2014 Sahara JK, 2018 Rubicon JL
Love those! How long did it take to get them in once you ordered them?

F23AFD4B-DAD4-4002-8D87-17A89B9FD0CD.jpeg
AD883F3D-6E84-44AB-B4E0-5C260D2D7F50.jpeg
B9F30C34-B604-4D3E-AA0E-CC11CC6C2D3F.jpeg
15723881-34A3-4A85-BEBB-4CD3935B11E6.jpeg

My St. Patrick’s Day was spent installing these bad boys onto the big bad boy.

Took a lot longer than I’m willing to admit. Turns out the right tools make all the difference in the world. Lay off me, I usually build computers.

It was damn fun though. I recorded a lot of the process with my GoPro. I’ll upload that footage to YouTube after it’s been compiled. It’s supposed to be an instructional video, but it’s possible some may consider it a comedy. So long as you’re laughing with me and not at me, it’ll be fine.

There are no instructions that come with the parts. As a noob, I found that quite annoying. Thankfully there is an instructional video on their website. There are also some videos for JK installs too. Best advice I can give you is to expect the unscrewing of the body mount bolts to be the hardest part. A breaker bar makes all the difference in the world. Those damn screws are tricky bastards. Make sure you apply downward pressure once they’ve been unsecured from the body. They’ll eventually pop out. Having someone around to help with mounting the rails helps, but you can use the box and foam padding to assist if you’re alone.

Tools needed:

18mm socket with 1/2 inch drive
Breaker Bar (1/2 inch drive)
Torque wrench (same)
Beer

Install time: Nunya. Let’s say you can get it done eventually and leave it at that.

They’re very solid and really add to the rugged look of the Wrangler. They sit pretty flush with the body. I installed them with the Rubi rock sliders still installed. Gives the car a more “meaty” appearance. They’ll add 100 pounds to the weight of the vehicle, and you’ll notice it slightly when you first take the ride for a spin. Worth it though. They’re awesome.

I’ve thrown in a before picture for reference. I’ll have more pics of the full vehicle later, you impatient bastards.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dreadnought_Leviathan

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
Love those! How long did it take to get them in once you ordered them?
I’d say about a week. I pre-ordered them. I’m actually sending that exact pair back to Ace and they’re sending replacements. Their redesigned version doesn’t have the creaking and fitment issues anymore.

I’m gonna sell the new ones though. These are a bit too heavy for me.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I’d say about a week. I pre-ordered them. I’m actually sending that exact pair back to Ace and they’re sending replacements. Their redesigned version doesn’t have the creaking and fitment issues anymore.

Curious, who paid for return shipping of the problematic Ace Sliders?

OP
OP
Dreadnought_Leviathan

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
Ace. Under warranty.

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Firecracker Red

what did they do to correct the creaking?

I have the original ones and the creaking is only there 2% of the time.

OP
OP
Dreadnought_Leviathan

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
They reduced the size of the part of the rail that connects to the body mount screws so they don’t contact the metal of the frame anymore. A small percentage of their units apparently had this issue. The redesign was to ensure it no longer happened going forward.

Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I really like these especially now that they corrected creaking issue. But I need to ask how is the finish? I’ve read where as soon as you step on these they mark up the finish easily.

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve read where as soon as you step on these they mark up the finish easily.
This guy's review video (albeit on JK) seems to corroborate what you read. Summary: It's a great rock slider that can take a beating but it attracts dirt easily and just an okay step since that's not the main purpose. Interesting to hear what other's experience is too.

bilcol81

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Retired
Are these any good as a step? How does the finish hold up?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm really digging these all one piece construction and powder coated! for only a little more than ACE! I might be pulling the trigger and seller my stock Rubi Rails.....Any opions on this company? http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90104.htm

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55