Sponsored

Just had a JK as a rental for the last week and...

• Thread starter Deleted member 18624
  • Start date
  • Watchers 11

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Hey there is a Jeep up in the Colorado high country at a rental place that gets 23-25 MPG on pump gas, and to boot it handles like a Koenigsegg Agera......

For the small percentage that actually had steering issues there have been multiple fixes posted about it. for many it was software, for others too much toe dialed in and steering thing is a seriously dead horse
My steering horse is not dead. It is alive and has FCA completely baffled. And I'm definitely not alone.
Sponsored

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
My wife and I just got back from Breckenridge, CO. We flew into Denver and rented a 2018 JKU Sport for the week. I did some highway driving, trail riding and a little bit of 4 wheeling. I put probably 1000 miles on the JK over the whole week.

All in all the JK had far less wind noise than my JLU and the steering feels great. I really wish FCA would recognize there is something wrong with the steering, it's very obvious. I know a lot of people say the JK didn't get great gas mileage, but I was averaging 23-25 MPG between trails and highway.

I think the one thing the JL has going for it is all the interior and technology updates. It makes the Jeep feel like it's in 2018. Lesson learned though, don't buy a first year model of any car :)

On a side note I saw the 4 door Jeep truck thing several times last week near Breckenridge. Looks pretty cool...engineers probably in the test phase.
Agree 100%. We rented a 2018 JK for our Alberta vacation. The thing drive straight as an arrow, and steering was flawless. Unlike our JL, this JK could easily be driven with one hand loosely on the wheel. The difference is staggering when driving one and immediately hopping into the other.

And agree with fuel economy as well. I'm attaching our average economy, which was achieved driving up and down on mountain roads.
20180924_191805.jpg

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
My steering horse is not dead. It is alive and has FCA completely baffled. And I'm definitely not alone.
Hopefully they can work it out, and I understand you are not alone but it is still a small percentage. Just like JKs had year model issues with Valves and cracked oil cooler housings.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
20180924_191805-jpg.jpg

You do know that is called a "lie-o-meter" don't you? They are not accurate.....period.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18624

Agree 100%. We rented a 2018 JK for our Alberta vacation. The thing drive straight as an arrow, and steering was flawless. Unlike our JL, this JK could easily be driven with one hand loosely on the wheel. The difference is staggering when driving one and immediately hopping into the other.

And agree with fuel economy as well. I'm attaching our average economy, which was achieved driving up and down on mountain roads.
20180924_191805.jpg

Glad to hear you had the same experience. Makes me not feel so crazy.

My gas mileage has gotten a lot of discussion. Everyone keep in mind I was going down hill a lot and not using the A/C since the weather was nice. I was also basing it of the digital read out....some say it's not accurate but I dunno. Anyway I think the JKU is a fine vehicle.

Sponsored

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
20180924_191805-jpg.jpg

You do know that is called a "lie-o-meter" don't you? They are not accurate.....period.

My gas mileage has gotten a lot of discussion. Everyone keep in mind I was going down hill a lot and not using the A/C since the weather was nice. I was also basing it of the digital read out....some say it's not accurate but I dunno. Anyway I think the JKU is a fine vehicle.
Agreed. I love my JL, but nothing is wrong with praising the JK where it is due. One thing to remember is that the 17-18 JK is the pinnacle of that model. They've had nearly a decade to work out the kinks. Conversely, that's probably the biggest negative about buying a first model year car.

Concerning the digital readout, you can apply the accuracy logic to both the JL and JK, so I don't understand that argument. It can't be that off on a stock Jeep...

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I log fuel economy on every vehicle I own. I've owned 2 JKs and this JL with electronic fuel monitoring. None of these 3 were either accurate, nor were they consistant from tank to tank of fuel. What they are useful for is as an instantaneous readout of fuel flow to allow you to adjust your driving to attain the best fuel economy for current conditions.

I have never owned any vehicle that gave accurate fuel economy from the computer. Period.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs

20180924_191805.jpg
I own both and yes they are both fine vehicles. We have shown hundreds of mpg (on the real time digital gauge) when going down long 4%-7% grades out of the mountains, but once you go the other way, as in up hill things go back. If you average several tank fulls you will arrive in "Realville" and know what your actually getting as far as mileage.
If you go around and average 40-50 MPH you will show XYZ mileage. Drive averaging 65-75 MPH and you will get less than XYZ mileage. This applies to any vehicle and is not a new concept. Allot of variables apply as in type of fuel, temperatures, average speeds, wind direction, weight (load carrying), tire pressure, terrain, and others. Some of these items can make very significant differences in total MPG. That is why the window sticker stated mileage seems way off on most vehicles. Ideal conditions- Vrs- "Realville".

Our JLUR steers and handles the same or better than our JKUR did and the way our JKU does. Both track straight, neither have any slop in the steering. Something is not right with yours if what you say is accurate.
Sponsored