Sponsored

Just got my first Jeep - lots of things to consider for my needs.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
@Sgt Beavis That's a beautiful location and a great looking set up.
There will only be two of us so will definitely be in something smaller.
Yes, i am aware of the weight requirements and the back bone systems - been looking at the rhino-rack backbone and also the Front-Runner extreme. I like the Rhino-Rack platform as it keeps the rack off the line of sight of the freedom panels yet is still wide enough for a 1.4m (ish)wide tent like many of the fold out fabric RTT's and the iKamper Mini.
I think you should consider some of the other soft shelled tents. The iKamper Mini is REALLY small. They call it a two person tent but really it’s just for one person IMO. There are other hardshell and softcover options out there that may serve your needs better. If possible, find a dealer that has a demo unit you and your wife can lay in to get a good idea of what your needs are.
Sponsored

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
All tires with sidewall work better when aired down. I'd keep those stock tires and wear them out before getting rid of them.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
A winch is probably going to be difficult in the UK. I know many have them here, but swapping out to a metal bumper is a risk. It's not strictly legal here for on-road vehicles. It's a bit of a grey area in truth and something I need to look more into at some point as I would eventually like to replace the plastic bumper as long as it does not void the warranty.

Shovel and traction ramps will definitely be in the Jeep, though.
You can easily add a plate from Rockhard that will allow a winch mount on your current bumper. If you’re actually using a Jeep off the beaten track with no other vehicles with you a winch can save your bacon. I look at them as I do a spare tire, carry all the time, don’t plan on using BUT if you need one, you need it Badly..

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
.....now I have ordered my Jeep I thought I would......

There is a second problem with a roof top tent. If you camp for 2 or more nights, you might need to drive somewhere........and the tent is on the roof so you have to pack up everything.

The best choice is a ground tent.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
A winch is probably going to be difficult in the UK. I know many have them here, but swapping out to a metal bumper is a risk. It's not strictly legal here for on-road vehicles. It's a bit of a grey area in truth and something I need to look more into at some point as I would eventually like to replace the plastic bumper as long as it does not void the warranty.

Shovel and traction ramps will definitely be in the Jeep, though.

first off welcome to the forum and congrats on the new wrangler. as some have mentioned and you have stated. keep the jeep stock for now. i would drive the jl in stock form and see how well it preforms. as for the tires, run them till its time to replace them, unless you are hitting some rough trails to your favorite viewing spot for the night. do research on the all terrain tires and see what fits as for as traction and tire size. one thing you might want t look into are some aux lights (off road lights) read up on some of the posts in the lighting section on this forum.

as for the winch, it would be nice to have one. i see there could be some issues with running a steel bumper in uk. so, here is a suggestion. pick up a winch plate and modify the plastic bumper to make it fit around the winch. theres a guy on here did just that and it came out pretty good.

i do have one question. is there a rubicon version of the jeep in the uk. if so does it come with a steel rubicon front bumper. if so, you could pick one up and swap out the plastic bumper for a steel on and still be able to fit a winch in it.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for driving the Jeep stock for a awhile.

I kept mine stock for a year. There’s a lot to like in a perfectly stock Jeep.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd recommend you take a look at an awning like a Foxwing , Batwing, Overland Vehicle Sys Nomadic Awning 270, or similar. I know it rains in GB often enough that you might want some cover while prepping meals, eating, and just relaxing at "camp". It will also allow you to take everything out of the Jeep and set it out without drenching it and then you can consider sleeping in the back of the Jeep, if you buy an inflatable mattress. I just can't get excited about climbing up on the roof. The Aussies invented roof tents because they have some nasty critters on the ground. I've slept on the ground in the Mojave desert without a tent for decades.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can easily add a plate from Rockhard that will allow a winch mount on your current bumper. If you’re actually using a Jeep off the beaten track with no other vehicles with you a winch can save your bacon. I look at them as I do a spare tire, carry all the time, don’t plan on using BUT if you need one, you need it Badly..
The UK has some residual EU laws on bumpers. As the OP mentioned, it could be an issue to change the bumper. Another option is a square hitch receiver mount winch. You can add a front and rear square receiver tow hitch and then the winch can be moved to the end needed at the time. They won't have the capacity, but should be good for most recoveries.

OP
OP
Joverland

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Overland Unlimited.
first off welcome to the forum and congrats on the new wrangler. as some have mentioned and you have stated. keep the jeep stock for now. i would drive the jl in stock form and see how well it preforms. as for the tires, run them till its time to replace them, unless you are hitting some rough trails to your favorite viewing spot for the night. do research on the all terrain tires and see what fits as for as traction and tire size. one thing you might want t look into are some aux lights (off road lights) read up on some of the posts in the lighting section on this forum.

as for the winch, it would be nice to have one. i see there could be some issues with running a steel bumper in uk. so, here is a suggestion. pick up a winch plate and modify the plastic bumper to make it fit around the winch. theres a guy on here did just that and it came out pretty good.

i do have one question. is there a rubicon version of the jeep in the uk. if so does it come with a steel rubicon front bumper. if so, you could pick one up and swap out the plastic bumper for a steel on and still be able to fit a winch in it.
Thanks,

Yes, there is a Rubicon variant in the UK, but plastic bumpers only. The steel bumper can not be added. Now there are a lot of UK Wrangler owners who add steel bumpers because the laws/rules are not quite as clear as they perhaps should be on the subject and insurers will still insure the vehicle and MOT testers will pass the vehicle for roadworthiness. But, I can't help thinking that if one WAS to be in some form of accident, there may be a whole host of legal issues to deal with.
It seems like the whole decision to add a steel bumper is 'at your own risk'. i.e. don't have an accident!

Only one company seems to have got close to adhering to the standards - but don't yet have certification as far as I know. These ones:
Front Recovery Bumper, Stealth Winch Mount, JL, JT (JL213) | Jeepey - Jeep parts, spares and accessories

It seems a little worse than just bumpers in the UK. Any modifications that protrude / project technically require certification and could cause issues in the event of an accident - even a pillar light, side steps, lifts etc depending on which one. Unless I am reading it wrong.
I have found from some digging around that E-Certification is required on any part - which is almost none of the Wrangler mods.
More reason to stay stock!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joverland

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The UK has some residual EU laws on bumpers. As the OP mentioned, it could be an issue to change the bumper. Another option is a square hitch receiver mount winch. You can add a front and rear square receiver tow hitch and then the winch can be moved to the end needed at the time. They won't have the capacity, but should be good for most recoveries.

That's a great idea - hitch mounts front and back and then just attach the winch when necessary.
Like it.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I ended up going with a soft shell RTT because I couldn’t justify spending $4,000 on a tent, plus I got a good discount on my ARB. I think it ultimately depends on what type of camping you’re doing and how often you are on the move and what your budget is. If you’re talking 10+ day trips and are having to move often then the quick setup of a hard shell makes things easier. Even though the difference is only a few minutes. But reading from your post it sounds like these will be relatively short weekend trips. Pros of the soft shell, in addition to the significant price difference which is the most important benefit, is that usually have more sleeping space and they weigh less. Pros of the hard shell are waterproofing, and quicker and easier setup. But in my experience if you take good care of your soft shell it will last 10+ years. These have been industry standard for decades. Also take into consideration you will need a roof rack which may add another $1,000+ depending on which model you get so things can get very expensive when you add everything up. You may also want to look at pop up ground tents like Gazelle tents. They set up in less than 1 minute and are pretty solid and well priced. I have a few friends who run those. I always carry my Big Agnes ultra light ground tent in the car depending on what kind of camping I will be doing.
I was going to suggest getting a chain for your wallet. But it looks like you have it figured out. You will love it and amazed.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I also intend to do some offroad driving - but nothing like the hardcore stuff I see some do in the US! We don't have anything like those trails in the UK (at least not that I know of)..
What about Stonehenge?

OP
OP
Joverland

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer sent me through a full video walk-around of my Jeep awaiting pick up and I had a close look at the side and front angles in terms of the look of the tyres. Honestly, I would not want to go much bigger diameter than stock - I think the proportions look perfect. Obviously, a lift would make things different, but I don't plan on doing that.

The only thing I might do either 1) after I have worn down the stock tyres or 2) Decide I need more grip off road after testing it out, is go for a wider tyre - something like a 285/65/18 on the stock wheels. That makes the size almost identical in terms of diameter, with minimal difference to the mph reading, but adds an inch and a quarter (or so) to the width. That tyre also adds slightly to the sidewall depth (despite being a 65 vs a 70 stock).

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got my first Jeep - lots of things to consider for my needs. Capture.JPG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
As to the camping thing, I’d look at a variety of over landing sites on YouTube or whatever site you choose

As for off road, I’d at least make sure I had a locking differential in the rear. I just got my 9th Jeep, a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon. Locking diffs make a huge difference.

If you don’t get an electric winch, at least get a heavy duty hand ratchet type winch. Not nearly as good, but a lot cheaper and an immediate fix

I’d also make sure it has recovery hooks front and rear.

Do a search of wrangler upgrades and you’ll get a ton of ideas.

I’d suggest screen protectors for the navigation screen. I got glass ones

OP
OP
Joverland

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As to the camping thing, I’d look at a variety of over landing sites on YouTube or whatever site you choose

As for off road, I’d at least make sure I had a locking differential in the rear. I just got my 9th Jeep, a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon. Locking diffs make a huge difference.

If you don’t get an electric winch, at least get a heavy duty hand ratchet type winch. Not nearly as good, but a lot cheaper and an immediate fix

I’d also make sure it has recovery hooks front and rear.

Do a search of wrangler upgrades and you’ll get a ton of ideas.

I’d suggest screen protectors for the navigation screen. I got glass ones

Thank you.

I don't intend to add any lockers. I just don't see the need in the UK and for my use. Maybe I am wrong.

I really like the idea of the front and back hitches - so am looking into them.
From some advice above I could attach a winch to either front or back when needed (on rare occasions).

I am yet to work out whether the UK spec Jeep has any front recovery points at all. If I do install a front hitch then I guess that could be used. No idea.
Sponsored