Sponsored

Just got my first Jeep - lots of things to consider for my needs.

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Suppose you’re on a road with a shallow mud filled ditch along side. You pull over and your two tires drop into. the mud. You’ll most likel be stuck without lockers. With lockers you would drive right out.

But, whatever
Sponsored

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Thanks,

Yes, there is a Rubicon variant in the UK, but plastic bumpers only. The steel bumper can not be added. Now there are a lot of UK Wrangler owners who add steel bumpers because the laws/rules are not quite as clear as they perhaps should be on the subject and insurers will still insure the vehicle and MOT testers will pass the vehicle for roadworthiness. But, I can't help thinking that if one WAS to be in some form of accident, there may be a whole host of legal issues to deal with.
It seems like the whole decision to add a steel bumper is 'at your own risk'. i.e. don't have an accident!

Only one company seems to have got close to adhering to the standards - but don't yet have certification as far as I know. These ones:
Front Recovery Bumper, Stealth Winch Mount, JL, JT (JL213) | Jeepey - Jeep parts, spares and accessories

It seems a little worse than just bumpers in the UK. Any modifications that protrude / project technically require certification and could cause issues in the event of an accident - even a pillar light, side steps, lifts etc depending on which one. Unless I am reading it wrong.
I have found from some digging around that E-Certification is required on any part - which is almost none of the Wrangler mods.
More reason to stay stock!
That's a nice lookin bumper, I'm trying to find one like that in the USA and mount an air compressor and tank instead of a winch.

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Hey, thanks.
I'm really looking forward to picking up the Jeep... already coming to realise its a lot more than just a normal car. The whole community around the Wrangler seems great.

My first trip is being planned for the Scottish Highlands - I'll post about it in this forum and probably take some video of the astrophotography set up.
That sounds Absolutely Amazing! And some great single malt scotch 👌🏻

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My dealer sent me through a full video walk-around of my Jeep awaiting pick up and I had a close look at the side and front angles in terms of the look of the tyres. Honestly, I would not want to go much bigger diameter than stock - I think the proportions look perfect. Obviously, a lift would make things different, but I don't plan on doing that.

The only thing I might do either 1) after I have worn down the stock tyres or 2) Decide I need more grip off road after testing it out, is go for a wider tyre - something like a 285/65/18 on the stock wheels. That makes the size almost identical in terms of diameter, with minimal difference to the mph reading, but adds an inch and a quarter (or so) to the width. That tyre also adds slightly to the sidewall depth (despite being a 65 vs a 70 stock).

Capture.JPG
I can only relate that when Honda R&D in socal did some testing in various dirt/sand/mud that the most effect was a change in diameter.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
I am new here, having been just browsing for a while - now I have ordered my Jeep I thought I would make a post and ask a couple of general questions.

I have just purchased a 21 plate (UK) Wrangler Overland 4 door and will take delivery at the start of March.
This will be my first Jeep and it was a really tough decision for me to move away from the more common SUV options, like Audi's, BMW's, Volvo's that I have owned before, but decided that ultimately I needed and wanted more offroad capability (even though I live in the UK).

Whilst this will be my daily driver, my main reason for buying was to support my astrophotography/astronomy hobby. I have a home observatory, however, I live in a Bortle 5 area (which means light pollution is high). So, my new Jeep is going to be my astro rig at the weekends(and longer trips or sometimes during the week) as I head off to dark sky sites around the country (and beyond), park up, set up, observe and then take astro pics through the night whilst I sleep.

I also intend to do some offroad driving - but nothing like the hardcore stuff I see some do in the US! We don't have anything like those trails in the UK (at least not that I know of)...that's one of the reasons I figured that an Overland spec would be plenty good enough as opposed to a Rubicon. Who knows, perhaps I will upgrade elements of the Overland overtime to beef up its off-road capability but probably is good enough as is.

Now I am thinking about the kit I need - it's overwhelming for a newbie to Jeeps as I am.

The first thing I need to think about is overnight sleeping - i.e. a tent.
For roof tents, whilst I have watched quite a few reviews of various tents, I am never quite sure these days whether those reviews are biased (marketed). I'd like to ask whether people REALLY see the value in something like an iKamper for 3500 pounds vs a 900 pound Front Runner non-hard top? They both seem easy to set up and pack up and both offer the same space.

Anyway, that is just the start of what I will need... I am really looking forward to picking up the vehicle.
If you just purchased your vehicle, I would suggest taking a look at manufacturer-backed extended service-contracts. The only manufacturer-backed service-contracts that you can purchase for a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Fiat, or Alfa Romeo vehicle, are sold through Mopar. We are a third-party company that sells these warranties directly through Mopar, if you would like a quote or have any questions then PM me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joverland

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Overland Unlimited.
Picked up the Jeep today - she's a beauty.
Drives so much more refined than I was expecting.
Also has some features, like front parking sensors, that I was unaware was part of the spec.
...and just took it for a 20 mile spin around town, country roads and A Roads - averaged 37mpg which is way better than I expected.
Couldn't be more pleased.

...oh and the sound system is superb..roll on summer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got my first Jeep - lots of things to consider for my needs. DSC_0275[20288].JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joverland

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Overland Unlimited.
I has my Jeep for 2 years and a couple of months ago got rid of it. Worst decision I ever made as I really miss it. As I am looking for my next car, nothing really compares or interests me.
Main reason for getting rid of it was the draconian UK tax laws for diesel cars and emmissions.
MPG was good in the end - I was getting close to 40mpg.

Anyway, now highly considering getting a 2024 Rubicon and just living with the tax costs.
New Wranglers here in the UK are only petrol these days so the MPG is more like 27-28 combined.
Still, I am caring less and less about the expense now that I don't have the Jeep anymore.
Sponsored