Sponsored

Just got my 2020 Rubicon Unlimited. When I press brake pedal I hear a loud hiss...

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Hi Everyone,
I have a brand new 2020 Rubicon Unlimited...loaded. Pics soon... Question, in park when I depress brake pedal before engaging into reverse I hear a quite loud hiss sound from under the hood. I only have 107 miles on it. Is this hiss ok? Never heard a car do this....Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Woodbridge

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Update: This hiss sound occurs for 3 seconds upon applying brake pedal and even when releasing brake pedal it hisses for 3 seconds. Normal? Thanks

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Checked mine and it does the same. I’m not worried.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
My '18 too. Lot's of noise from under the hood. FCA did nothing to quiet these Jeeps. Part of the charm I guess.

OP
OP
Woodbridge

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks for checking guys, I'd love to know what part under the hood is making this noise. I've owned 5 Jeeps starting with my first in 1979...a CJ5 Renegade with a 304 and 3 speed and just about every Jeep since up to this 2020 JL Rubicon. I have never heard this noise in any Jeep or any other vehicle we've owned. I'd love to try an insulate it.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Jeep included a large snake, probably a Cottonmouth or possibly a European Adder (you know, FIAT and all) into the brake system. It's there to scare the rotors to reduce fade and overheating. I keep the top off overnight so that small rodents will crawl in, thereby prolonging the life of my braking system components.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Mine does the same, usually only notice it insude the garage. I believe its normal.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
My Rubi does it and my 4Runner does it too. I think we're safe.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Mine does it too, never had a vehicle do that but it sounds cool. I never hear it unless i am in the garage.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Mine sounds like Darth Vader when I’m
Pulling into the garage

Sponsored

OP
OP
Woodbridge

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
We'll if a 4Runner does it AND it sounds like Darth Vader....I guess all is cool LOL
Thanks guys....
But seriously......what is making this (normal) noise?

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
Finally, someone posted about it, thanks! I got my 2020 Rubicon 2 weeks ago, the break hissing was freaking me out. I went to the dealer they said it is normal, I believed them, then I checked if other wranglers making the same sound or not. Unfortunately, local dealers do not have Rubicon in my area, so I checked break in Sahara it didn't have any hissing sound.

before taking it to dealer I also did a quick check if the break booster damaged or not
how to do:
- while wrangler is off, pump the brake paddle, it will get very tight after 2-3 pump
- while keeping your leg on break paddle turn on the car, the break will get kinda soft and will go back (if not it is not good)

Sounds I have in my 2020:
- When shifting park to Reverse, or Drive to Park, I hear click kinda sounds (it is "normal")
- when on parking, or drive slow and turning steering right and left steering makes robotic sounds :D (it is normal)
- from the hood I hear very quit electrical sound, it is very quiet, and it comes from passenger side when I get closer to grill
- and of course wind noise, my passenger side freedom panel is loose, the fix is adjusting the things which hold the freedom panel (not the clips), I will do it soon

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Finally, someone posted about it, thanks! I got my 2020 Rubicon 2 weeks ago, the break hissing was freaking me out. I went to the dealer they said it is normal, I believed them, then I checked if other wranglers making the same sound or not. Unfortunately, local dealers do not have Rubicon in my area, so I checked break in Sahara it didn't have any hissing sound.

before taking it to dealer I also did a quick check if the break booster damaged or not
how to do:
- while wrangler is off, pump the brake paddle, it will get very tight after 2-3 pump
- while keeping your leg on break paddle turn on the car, the break will get kinda soft and will go back (if not it is not good)

Sounds I have in my 2020:
- When shifting park to Reverse, or Drive to Park, I hear click kinda sounds (it is "normal")
- when on parking, or drive slow and turning steering right and left steering makes robotic sounds :D (it is normal)
- from the hood I hear very quit electrical sound, it is very quiet, and it comes from passenger side when I get closer to grill
- and of course wind noise, my passenger side freedom panel is loose, the fix is adjusting the things which hold the freedom panel (not the clips), I will do it soon
Hi Azhdar,
We're sorry to hear about your concerns with your new JL. If you need any additional assistance, we recommend reaching out to Canadian Customer Care. I have included a link to their information below!
https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/footer/Pages/contacts.aspx
Alex
Jeep Cares
Sponsored