First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
There is just something that is so connected and raw you can only get in a manual. Let's hope Ford sets it right and gets the kitted out options on the manuals rather than relegating them to second class transmissions.
I admit I'm interested in finding out whether Ford will get the final drive gearing right with the manual. Jeep really should have put 4.10s with the 3.6 and 6-speed. The 3.45s just rob the fun from the whole driving experience. On the highway anyway. On the trail, come to think of it, it doesn't really bother me anymore. I just go to 4-low sooner than I ever have with any other 4WD, and drive around all day with a 3-speed.
Sponsored

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Looking at the button dial above and to the left of the shifter, it has buttons for 2H, 4L, 4H and 4A, which I assume automatically shifts between Low and High range.

If it was full time 4WD it wouldn't have 2H.
But it does have 2H, you see it right there on the dial.
Full time 4WD is 4A, 4 auto.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
FYI, I just saw a 4 dr Bronco in the lane next to me driven by a female and strictly from looks the Bronco was a nice size and the female wasn’t bad either. It looked nice to me and from outside appearances the Bronco will sell. Would like to se the 2dr inside and out though. However, I have been a jeep person forever and will remain so. A nice 70’s 302 Bronco with standard trans would be nice. The new generation couldn’t handle it because it doesn’t do everything for you.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the button dial above and to the left of the shifter, it has buttons for 2H, 4L, 4H and 4A, which I assume automatically shifts between Low and High range.

If it was full time 4WD it wouldn't have 2H.
“Full time 4WD” in this context means 4WD Auto, or 4A, which you can select and leave the Bronco in no matter the road conditions. 2WD is still an option though if you want it. This is a great system to have if they can make it durable but it does introduce its own long-term reliability challenges. Jeeps have an equivalent transfer case as well with 2WD, 4HI, 4LO, and 4A.

Interesting.

I wonder if it really has it or if these demo vehicles just used a stock selector.
Yeah, good question!

FYI, I just saw a 4 dr Bronco in the lane next to me driven by a female and strictly from looks the Bronco was a nice size and the female wasn’t bad either. It looked nice to me and from outside appearances the Bronco will sell. Would like to se the 2dr inside and out though. However, I have been a jeep person forever and will remain so. A nice 70’s 302 Bronco with standard trans would be nice. The new generation couldn’t handle it because it doesn’t do everything for you.
Sure that wasn’t a Bronco Sport? I see those all the time now. They seem to be doing well for Ford.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Where is the Emergency Brake Lever ? I don't see it, and a push button Solenoid is blasphemy in a trail rated anything. The direct mechanical linkages are disappearing, in the name of ... What ?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Where is the Emergency Brake Lever ? I don't see it, and a push button Solenoid is blasphemy in a trail rated anything. The direct mechanical linkages are disappearing, in the name of ... What ?
Electronics and other creature comforts.

Even Jeep owners have long accepted the electronic features in the Rubicon and front axle disconnects going back to the YJ.

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
There is a thing called “One pedal driving” which may help with losing the manual e brake. You can also select only the front locker without the rear. This also may help in different situations.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Ford is going to follow the market. The sad reality is that most buyers want automatic; more so those looking to buy a 4-door SUV.
Sad but true. T Town also reminded us about the "One pedal driving" feature Ford will be integrating.

So apparently there is at least some fraction of consumers that don't even want two pedals, let alone three.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Leadership isn’t all about off-road.

Imagine how “ordinary” people will be swayed if Broncos manage to be just slightly more reliable than Wranglers?

No issues with start/stop or a second battery in the wheel well.

Rear window defroster wires that stay attached.

Perhaps no steering issues.

There are a variety of points of comparison here - we know most Wranglers don’t see more off-roading than a gravel parking lot.

If Jeep sold only to off-roaders they likely couldn’t keep Wrangler production going.
we all know ford doesn't have a stellar rep either. Bronco will be a shiny new penny but people will gravitate back to the real thing just like the first REAL bronco.

Because again it doesn't matter how much off roading people do they want to know if they have a vehicle that can do it regardless. To use your example -we know people who buy corvettes don't all go to the track or do 200mph. If GM only sold to racers they likely couldn't keep the Corvette production going.

People want the real thing whether they use it or not. IMO Ford should market the rig more as a Baja rig cause THAT is where this thing IS the real thing.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Electronics and other creature comforts.

Even Jeep owners have long accepted the electronic features in the Rubicon and front axle disconnects going back to the YJ.
Jeep owners would MUCH rather NOT have the front axle disconnect....especially the YJ. Hardly "accepted". At least the JL FAD seems to be holding up...unlike the vacuum actuated YJ.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I remember the gnashing of teeth when front hubs disappeared, and it hasn't turned out to be a major issue over time.

However I still want a mechanical e-brake lever and preferably a mechanical transfer case as well.

I don't know if they still do this, but I remember car rental agencies in Hawaii disabling 4WD on their rental Wranglers by disconnecting the transfer case shift cables. :clap:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
There is a thing called “One pedal driving” which may help with losing the manual e brake. You can also select only the front locker without the rear. This also may help in different situations.
I like the one pedal feature. Still not a big deal with an auto to use both feet but it takes some getting used to. Jeep will likely come out with it's own as well. In fact all the features ford offers are easily duplicated.

Losing the manual e-brake is a loser idea though.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
“Full time 4WD” in this context means 4WD Auto, or 4A, which you can select and leave the Bronco in no matter the road conditions. 2WD is still an option though if you want it. This is a great system to have if they can make it durable but it does introduce its own long-term reliability challenges. Jeeps have an equivalent transfer case as well with 2WD, 4HI, 4LO, and 4A.

Yeah, good question!

Sure that wasn’t a Bronco Sport? I see those all the time now. They seem to be doing well for Ford.
I think it said big bend on the side.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think it said big bend on the side.
Bronco Sport has Big Bend trim level as well. This Bronco branding is a nightmare.
Sponsored