Just got home from Bronco event...

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rear-window-defroster-connector.51516/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardtop-rain-gutter-drains-into-cabin.20578/

Multiple people have had to wait with their JLs in the shop for two or three months or longer waiting for "back ordered' replacement parts.

Example:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-replacement-where-is-my-part-2020-jlu.62219/

Do you not read the threads here?
I didnt and still havent but isnt this because of the times we live in with the covid thing? Heck ford bronco isnt even out for the same reason. Back orders NOW dont really mean squat it's just that way it is for the time being
That’s exactly what Tacoma owners say about Jeep buyers!

Dollar for dollar, a Tacoma costs $10,000 less than a comparably equipped Jeep.

But I know what you are saying: I was never able to feel comfortable in my 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, either.

Then, there’s Tommy from TFL, who won’t shut up about how uncomfortable he finds JL and JT seats, but doesn’t complain about the Tacoma seats...
There is nothing comparable in offroad capability between jeep and tacoma, hence the price difference.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The fact that Rubicon remains king of the trail thanks to an innovation introduced 18 years ago is not a formula for long-term success, though. Particularly because this strategy relies not on what Jeep does, but on betting that the competition won’t do the same.

With JL, FCA chose to spend its time and money updating Wrangler’s daily driving comfort and convenience features, and that has paid dividends in short-term sales. But a true off-road leader would be pushing the envelop by offering innovations for the trail.

The technology already exists for things like tire air-down and air-up. How about a rear swaybar disconnect...?

I am making stuff up here. My point being that a true market leader doesn’t sit still waiting for the competition to catch up.
Not sure how you can say any of this? The JL is FAR better then the vehicle I bought 20 years ago and by all or most accounts a better rig then the JK.

As far as rear antisway disconnects? You must not wheel if you want that to be in the mix. lol

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how you can say any of this? The JL is FAR better then the vehicle I bought 20 years ago and by all or most accounts a better rig then the JK.

As far as rear antisway disconnects? You must not wheel if you want that to be in the mix. lol
That mindset is precisely what has kept Jeep —and FCA— stuck in a time warp.

Loss of leadership is hard to see at first. But all it takes is Ford, Toyota, or anyone else, to come up with truly innovative solutions to old problems, for Jeep to look like last year’s news.

And no, I am not talking about new colors, new stickers, new wheels, a new hood, or another motor. I am talking about coming up with real innovations in the world of off-roading. When was the last time Jeep came up with one...?

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
What if I told you all there’s room for the JL and Bronco on the trails? Different strokes for different folks. No, the Bronco won’t be as good of a crawler as the JL. Solid axle > IFS in this regard. The Bronco will ride better on higher speed trails than the JL. However, the JL is easier to fit 37s and larger tires on. The Ecoboost engines are also very solid. For the average person, I think the Bronco is a good alternative. Especially for mild wheeling folks that get the Sasquatch package and leave it stock.

I plan to have both a Bronco and JL in my driveway in the next year or so. The JL will hopefully be here in a few weeks and I should have my Bronco by this time next year...if Ford can keep its shit together and get the parts delays under control. I plan to give my unbiased thoughts on owning both when I can.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever read the "1999 Corolla Fine AF" Craigslist ad? It's internet legend at this point and freakin' hilarious.
Not that I recall. I worked in one of the highest volume toyota parts departments in the northeast back in the late 90's, and I remember not being able to keep those gold emblems in stock. That's why I chimed in. I'll have to search for that ad, because now you've got me curious. Lol

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Real numbers no fluff, my 2015 JKUR I ordered to spec was $4,XXX less than my 2021 JKUR ...
Interesting yours was only a $4k difference. Apples to apples build would put a JLUR just shy of $7k more than my JKUR

$47,765 vs $40,820

CEB4F3EF-4D70-4C4D-9068-6BBED8366D19.png

01CC0DA9-9053-4332-B087-719025BABBAE.png

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
That mindset is precisely what has kept Jeep —and FCA— stuck in a time warp.

Loss of leadership is hard to see at first. But all it takes is Ford, Toyota, or anyone else, to come up with truly innovative solutions to old problems, for Jeep to look like last year’s news.

And no, I am not talking about new colors, new stickers, new wheels, a new hood, or another motor. I am talking about coming up with real innovations in the world of off-roading. When was the last time Jeep came up with one...?
THe mindset of jeep losing the leadership is kind of funny. THere is no other vehicle that will out do a jeep in off roading. Bronco isnt even out yet but likely it will be as close to lame as it's other so called competition.

What magic innovations has the so called competition have? GOAT? lol. That system only masks it's flaws.

Jeep will be around 7 to 10 years from now when Bronco is once again gone from site.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
What if I told you all there’s room for the JL and Bronco on the trails? Different strokes for different folks. No, the Bronco won’t be as good of a crawler as the JL. Solid axle > IFS in this regard. The Bronco will ride better on higher speed trails than the JL. However, the JL is easier to fit 37s and larger tires on. The Ecoboost engines are also very solid. For the average person, I think the Bronco is a good alternative. Especially for mild wheeling folks that get the Sasquatch package and leave it stock.

I plan to have both a Bronco and JL in my driveway in the next year or so. The JL will hopefully be here in a few weeks and I should have my Bronco by this time next year...if Ford can keep its shit together and get the parts delays under control. I plan to give my unbiased thoughts on owning both when I can.
Good post. I'dd like to do the same thing. That 2.7 going fast would be a hoot and where the rig will shine vs rock crawling. Having said that, I cant believe how good my JL is at going fast too. Granted I have sup'd up my suspension but it was great stock as well in fact it might have been better. However I think the bronco will be or should be better.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Just got home from the Denver Bronco event. It’s my first time seeing and sitting in the Bronco. My wife’s comment was that she’s very happy we went ahead and bought a Rubicon. There are certainly things to like. The cargo area looks a bit larger. The lack of a sport bar is a big plus IMO. The seats are very comfortable as well.

But those interior materials, holy moly they are garbage. I don’t expect them to be better than a Ford F150 King Ranch (or even a lariat) but it’s cheaper than the XLs interior. The benchmark is, of course, the Wrangler and it’s not even close.

Count me disappointed. I was looking to have a Bronco next to our Rubicon but now I’m a lot less likely. These were pre-production models so maybe product will be better, but I’m kinda doubtful.

Now I’m looking forward to seeing what Jeep does with the 2023 Rubicon. I suspect that’s when they’ll give it a major refresh.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Just got out of the event in Denver and noted these observations:
  • They had a manual and the shifter was floppy with longish throws. Someone is going to need to design a short shifter.
  • The clutch was like stepping on a pedal that wasn’t even connected, with no real resistance whatsoever.
  • The dash was a mess of hard plastics. Tapping on it caused the entire dash to rattle; driving this thing on-road will be a continuous buzz from the plastics, off-road will be worse. Anyone buying one will have to remove it and Dynamat it or go nuts.
  • Air intake is right above the grille; you’d better create a good bow wave when water crossing.
  • Top looked reasonable, no better or worse than a Wrangler’s.
  • Removal of doors looks less painful, mirrors stay attached to the body
  • One battery (yay!)
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 673D6F90-9DF7-4993-8D0C-5FB5AC5C718F
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 383F64D4-AC7A-4E84-840F-ED3C5F26BE9D
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... F654A9ED-531D-4804-834A-897A0ED9A782
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 2D9270A7-B362-4428-B57B-6E3B9C006CDB
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... F0391F4F-B42E-4AA3-951A-7ED7F2E03519