First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Ford is building and storing trucks while they wait for the modules due to the semiconductor shortage, instead of idling the factory. One of the race tracks has like 10,000 trucks on site.
Yea I was aware of that but thought it was near their factories. This is obviously a lot used as over flow by a local dealer. A few of the trucks had a dealer vanity plate on the front. Just struck me as odd.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Hell’s gate is probably a harder obstacle than 90% of Wranglers or Broncos will ever do.
Hell's gate is an easy obstacle. You can do it in a Kia. Just stay centered and turn a little when you get to the bump. A spotter is helpful if you haven't done it a few times. You don't even need lockers if your suspension flexes a bit.

Even so, you're probably right that it's harder than most vehicles will actually do.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Hell's gate is an easy obstacle. You can do it in a Kia. Just stay centered and turn a little when you get to the bump. A spotter is helpful if you haven't done it a few times. You don't even need lockers if your suspension flexes a bit.

Even so, you're probably right that it's harder than most vehicles will actually do.
My Jeep wouldn't make it, I may hurt it... Give me a rental, I'll get'er there. No curve to high, no ditch too deep for the rental I'm not going to keep.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
My Jeep wouldn't make it, I may hurt it... Give me a rental, I'll get'er there. No curve to high, no ditch too deep for the rental I'm not going to keep.
What's the difference between a rental and a Jeep?

The rental WILL make it over the obstacle. 🤣

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Modern traction control helps a lot.
Articulation keeps the tires on the ground so you don't need traction control. So does staying on the right line on v notches like that.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Yeah, I'm a Ford guy through and through, but based on what I'm seeing it's a hard pass on the Bronco.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Those are the helicopter hooks like Humvees had so you can airdrop Broncos into war zones.
It's my understanding that at this juncture the Bronco will not be available
for sale until the end if the year at best. The one they were marketing before
this showing at the various dealerships was the Bronco Sport. Which comes
with a 3cylinder engine. Yes no power, I drove one. The 4 cylinder version has
a turbo to boost the horse power. It's naturally better then the 3 cylinder and
has the same cheap interior as described in previous post. I don't believe you
can test drive the Bronco, but maybe I'm wrong. I was invited to preview the
Bronco at ford, but why bother when you can't but one today. It needs to be
pre-ordered and the wait will be long. I sold my Wrangle JL with manual a
few month's ago, because Jeep was unable to resolve it's many problems.
I didn't trust taking the vehicle on long off-road trips, and the service at Jeep
as reported S__k's. I'm happy with the Toyota Tacoma with trail package. On
the bright side, My trade in value was almost what I paid for the JL 3 years ago.
The Bronco has a light of hope, but I'm hoping it will wake up FCA where they start
paying serious attention to the owners of Wrangler.

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
It was almost like they benchmarked the JK interior instead of the JL.
They probably did - remember the JL came in 2nd half of 2018. The Bronco was supposed to be unveiled March 2020, postponed to July 2020. Considering that it would take at least 3 years to develop a new model, this means that their benchmark was the last JK/JKU iteration...

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
They probably did - remember the JL came in 2nd half of 2018. The Bronco was supposed to be unveiled March 2020, postponed to July 2020. Considering that it would take at least 3 years to develop a new model, this means that their benchmark was the last JK/JKU iteration...
I am not sure I understand the hate for the Bronco interior. the Bronco Sport maybe, but the Bronco has much, mucu better seats than the JL does. Even the base model seats were much more comfortable. I have had multiple JLURs and have a 4th Eco-Diesel Rubicon on order, but If I could swap the seats I would in a heartbeat.

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s probably true. But a large part of what keeps buyers out of Toyota’s is the aged feel to the electronics. It’s great for their global sales in poorer countries but harder to compete in the US.

I think we will see some loss from those that buy a Wrangler to have a convertible 4wd grocery getter, much due to the Ford brand loyalty. But I think a large number will come from the F150 and Ranger crowds. Again it’s the brand loyalty. The biggest thing will be what demand Ford can keep up with and not hurt production of other popular models.
What keeps buyers out of Toyotas is what you get for the price: no lockers in the front. leaf springs in the back.
I do not follow Ford very closely but something happened in the last 5 years where their quality seems to have dropped precipitously. I thought they were decent during their Volvo days.

And you're spot on with the Wrangler quality. It isn't the best, but you do want hard plastics in the right places for durability and the hard plastics that exist are well-placed. The only exception is that I wish the tunnel where your right knee rests were softer.
My complaint about the JLU interior is that having hard plastics in the back makes your Jeep look terrible after a while - it scuffs soooo easily, it's unbelievable.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I work for a Ford/Chrysler dealer north of the Proving grounds here in Arizona. They brought 2 of them by here last December, got to sit in em but not drive. Better looking than I thought, but I still like my Jeep better. In the end they are trying to compete directly with the Jeep. I think the next redesign will probably be much better, I certainly wouldnt be going out of my way to buy this first version

20201208_150432.jpg

20201208_150506.jpg

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The shock mount bolts sticking out under the (aluminum) LCA make me mental. I came across a post from October on the Bronco forums questioning the advisability of that design. The consensus was 'It's a prototype! No way will Ford let it go to production that way!" Saw a video from last week -maybe from this same event - where they were surprised to see this design unchanged.
Looks to be how it is going to be produced.
One good hit on those studs and - if you don't shear them off completely - you'll have a hell of a time getting those nuts off...
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 20201208_150506
Can't be worst than a JLU rear shock mounts...

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m 6’1” and my wife is 5’3”. It’s much quicker to adjust the seat in the wrangler vs power seats in my truck.
I'm 5'11'' and I consider the lack of multiple adjustments, electric or not, as a big minus on my JLU Sahara. I miss at least 1 in. of seat travel and lacking that, having the possibility to move the front of the seat cushion up would be a plus. I don't mind adjustments not being electric, It just lack... adjustments!
Sponsored