Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Fast Lane agrees with me! (Jump to 10:23 if it doesn't automatically.)

That’s been my criticism of Ford products of the past 15 years.

Looks like Ford tried harder with Bronco but, as the saying goes, old habits die hard.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
TFL uploaded a 1-hr podcast on the new Bronco. Tommy and Andrei went to the official launch in Austin, TX.

Couple of things to note:
  1. The winch mounts in front of the bumper, not inside the bumper as on Wranglers. Not sure how that is going to look. They didn't offer any visuals.
  2. There is an ongoing restriction on hardtop availability due to unresolved manufacturing issues
I saw on another video the frameless windows already wobbling as attendees to the press event rolled them up and down; not a good sign for an off-road vehicle.

Here is the entire 1-hr podcast.
I have seen a picture of one with a winch. Maybe from Easter? Anyhow, it basically mounts on top of the bumper and looks stupid. I figure the Ford steel bumpers are mostly for looks (they look pretty good). I would hope the aftermarket could fill in with a bumper that allows for a recessed winch. We will see.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just switched back to Wrangler. I was a late reservation holder and didn't expect delivery till LATE 2022. But according to Bronco Forums covid supply issues are a disaster. Ford recently had to take over hardtop production from Webesto. Most of the goodies are on restriction. People are pissed!!! I was willing to wait but switched after sitting in one at a dealer event. HARD CHEAP plastic everywhere. Really sad because they Hit some elements out of the park IMHO. Body attached mirrors, simpler door removal and IFS (Yes, I know SFA is more hardcore but I don't do rock crawling). IFS is fine for intermediate trails and the steering doesn't SUCK. Ford also really screwed up package availability and a'la cart items. Trims below and including Black Diamond can only get Mid package or lower. Garage door opener is in the Luxury package...WTF...Anyway, I'm back
Welcome back!

I’ve never seen an automaker put so much effort behind a launch and at the same time be more jinxed than Bronco’s.

I don’t rock crawl any more, either. This is only a "moderate" trail near me: my mall-rated Sahara with a Mopar lift shows nice articulation courtesy of its solid front axle.

I'll take a solid front axle over an IFS every day and twice on a weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 1624568086896

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 1624568505142

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Just switched back to Wrangler. I was a late reservation holder and didn't expect delivery till LATE 2022. But according to Bronco Forums covid supply issues are a disaster. Ford recently had to take over hardtop production from Webesto. Most of the goodies are on restriction. People are pissed!!! I was willing to wait but switched after sitting in one at a dealer event. HARD CHEAP plastic everywhere. Really sad because they Hit some elements out of the park IMHO. Body attached mirrors, simpler door removal and IFS (Yes, I know SFA is more hardcore but I don't do rock crawling). IFS is fine for intermediate trails and the steering doesn't SUCK. Ford also really screwed up package availability and a'la cart items. Trims below and including Black Diamond can only get Mid package or lower. Garage door opener is in the Luxury package...WTF...Anyway, I'm back
Steering has been improved by moving from an aluminum steering box to a steel one starting in 2021. Solid axle doesn't create wandering steering. It creates a stiffer ride. The wandering steering was a design issue.

I agree with your assessment. I liked a lot about the Bronco when I saw it but the interior was a big turn-off. Miles of cheap plastic and ford parts-bin parts.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen a picture of one with a winch. Maybe from Easter? Anyhow, it basically mounts on top of the bumper and looks stupid. I figure the Ford steel bumpers are mostly for looks (they look pretty good). I would hope the aftermarket could fill in with a bumper that allows for a recessed winch. We will see.
I wonder if Ford's safety nannies prevent mounting a winch cradled between the frame rails.

The biggest challenge lifting my 2019 Tacoma was not the IFS, but the safety nannies: the change in height threw the lane departure and forward collision, both of which come standard, out of whack.

I hope Jeep never makes forward collision and lane departure standard. It would only complicate mods.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I wonder if Ford's safety nannies prevent mounting a winch cradled between the frame rails.

The biggest challenge lifting my 2019 Tacoma was not the IFS, but the safety nannies: the change in height threw the lane departure and forward collision, both of which come standard, out of whack.

I hope Jeep never makes forward collision and lane departure standard.
The black square in the lower grill opening is the radar sensor for adaptive cruise on the Lux packages and I believe it’s also the sensor for the automatic emergency braking...although that could be up by the rearview mirror so don’t quote me on that.

Regardless, that stupid black box is on every Bronco. So that blocks the winch location as does the intercooler. Could probably relocate that box to behind the grill like the Raptor guys do but gotta wait on an aftermarket solution for that. The 4WP bumper is the best design I’ve seen thus far although it blocks the front camera on the High/Lux packages.

I look forward to comparing my on-order 21’ JLU Rubicon and my 22’ Bronco when it finally shows up in a year or so. I do hate that Ford doesn’t allow ala carte options like Jeep does. I want the big stereo but don’t want the extra safety crap in the Lux package...or the front camera/sensors. I’ll probably end up going with a base or Mid trim when I submit my 22’ order in September. Going for a 2 door manual Badlands Sasquatch.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Found these online.

The top pic shows the winch on top of the bumper; the lower pic in front of the bumper. The lower mount option adds like an entire foot in length ahead of the bumper! 🤪
Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 1624569886548

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 1624569872843

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Welcome back!

I’ve never seen an automaker put so much effort behind a launch and at the same time be more jinxed than Bronco’s.

I don’t rock crawl any more, either. This is only a "moderate" trail near me: my mall-rated Sahara with a Mopar lift shows nice articulation courtesy of its solid front axle.

I'll take a solid front axle over an IFS every day and twice on a weekend.

That's no mall crawler! Nice Rig!

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Found these online.

The top pic shows the winch on top of the bumper; the lower pic in front of the bumper. The lower mount option adds like an entire foot in length ahead of the bumper! 🤪
1624569886548.png

1624569872843.png
Yeah...not a fan of the Ford option. Not to mention it costs $2500!

This is the 4WP bumper. If you notice it has a cutout in the bumper for that black box/intercooler

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 9EDA3A1F-14F4-458C-8590-4CAB64E1DA34

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR

I hope Jeep never makes forward collision and lane departure standard. It would only complicate mods.
Isn't all the forward collision crap located behind rearview mirror on the Wrangler?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't all the forward collision crap located behind rearview mirror on the Wrangler?
Yes, it is. But I still don't want it.

I am cool with the base Safety Group: the blind spot and the backup sensors. But all those forward sensors in the Advanced Safety Group are bound to stop working at some point and cause all sorts of issues.

Jeep placed the forward sensors below the front bumper on Grand Cherokee. Once I saw a fellow drive his brand new $60,000 Grand Cherokee through a tough trail, and leave bits and pieces of his expensive sensors on the ground.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Yes, it is. But I still don't want it.

I am cool with the base Safety Group: the blind spot and the backup sensors. But all those forward sensors in the Advanced Safety Group are bound to stop working at some point and cause all sorts of issues.
At least they are out of the way then. You can turn it all off too in the menu on the infotainment.

15 Pieces of Rick Flair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla 3
I was stoked for the new Bronco till I saw the interior and found out that a heated steering wheel was only part of a $5000 package. Now I'm registered here, watching the monthly updates to the build sheets for color options that work for me...