Sponsored

Just got home from Bronco event...

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
As a Jeep owner and a Ford owner I wanted to chime in.
My wife and I bought our first Wrangler back in 2003 (2000 Sport) when our son was 3 years old. It was her daily work vehicle. Since then, we've sprinkled in various Wranglers in between buying family haulers (all Fords). The 98 TJ in our profile pic was a surprise to her in 2016. It is very similar to her original and is really her summer toy. I looked at TJ's for almost a year to find one with a good frame. Found this one and installed a 4" lift and 33's. It sits in the garage alongside our two Foxbody Mustangs until she gets a nice day she wants to drive it. Its a "forever" vehicle now.
Our JLU was bought in 2019 used with 5200 miles. Original owner traded it on a Lexus. Anyway, of all the vehicles we have bought new (I considered this one new when we bought it), the JLU has been the biggest problem child of all. Between death wobble, poor steering, electronics freezing up, top and back door squeaks, speakers crackling, etc. its been a tale of love and hate. Its beautiful, fun, and is comfortable for what it is. But the quality issues with only 26,000 miles are by far worse than any single Ford we have ever owned. The thing with FCA products is when they have an issue, it is widespread. Not one-off issues it seems. All of our JLU issues are common issues on this very forum. Most people just either have it and deal with it because they love their Jeep or simply got lucky and either never had it or had a dealer that fixed it. My real experience with Ford over the years has been overall very positive. My F250 has 32,000 miles and the only issue has been a corroded battery terminal. No squeaks, rattles, or steering issues. We have owned three ecoboost vehicles in the past (my 2014 F150, her Explorer Sport, and an Expedition). Not a single one of them ever saw a trip to the dealer for anything related to quality issues. Maybe I am just lucky?
In our case, the JLU will be traded. We aren't rock crawlers and have a lot of interstate driving and backroads. The IFS will benefit us. We test drove a Ranger to get a basis for comparison and the 2.3 itself felt stronger than the 3.6 and the steering was tight and sharp. Ours will be the even more powerful 2.7 V6 with a sasquatch package. If it turns out to be a lemon, we will dump it. Ford knows they have to get out of the gate with a solid vehicle and have tested this thing on every trail Jeep does. And had the confidence to show it off doing just that. I just cant see an automaker doing that kind of R&D to put out a bad product. Our TJ is staying like I said. My wife has major love for it and I have had to fix just about everything on it. Id jump in it and drive across country right now if I had to. But for her daily and our "fun" vehicle, its going to be a Bronco.
Why not. Iā€™m looking to get a Bronco too but am waiting a few years to see if the hybrid they will come out with appeals to me.
Iā€™m currently waiting on a Ford Transit to be built. Believe you me I am in the depths of a supply chain extended, bad dream. Auto makers are feeling it industry wide. My delivery has been postponed 3 times and gained an additional 3 months from the first estimated delivery date.
My latest delivery date was July 7 but I just got an email today saying all deliveries have gone to TBD.
The Bronco is undergoing that PLUS itā€™s an all new model with many new supply chains. Itā€™s crazy out there hence the blowing up of new car prices. Whatā€™s available when you need a car? Not a new car.
Anyway Iā€™ve ranted enough. Enjoy the Bronco whenever it comes.
Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
"
Many people do do that.

It's not trolling, it's expressing an opinion about a product.

I'd agree if I spent all day saying "Ha, ha, you guys are a bunch of losers, go buy a Toyota (or a Bronco for that matter)," but I don't.

I like Jeeps, I'd love to own one again, but would prefer Jeep not figuratively flip off their customers first.

No one can with a clear conscious say the issues with the hinges, rear window defroster cables that don't stay attached or months-long waits for parts are in any way acceptable failures for any $75K+ new vehicle, and frankly would not be acceptable for a Kia.

That doesn't mean I "don't like" them. The fact that I own an FJ now is no more germane to my statements than if I owned any other vehicle.

If that makes me a troll, so be it, but it's not going to stop me from pointing out Jeep shortcomings while hoping that someday they will make a product with higher quality.

As far as considering an FJ ugly, that's fine, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I bought my FJ specifically for the style it is, and given how prevalent they are around me many, many others did too.

I personally feel all four door Wranglers are an abomination, but a majority of Wrangler buyers seem to love them, so its personal preference - heck, people willingly bought Pontiac Azteks in the day.

I might even own a 4Runner today, except you can't get them with stick, and I refuse to buy a vehicle with an automatic transmission.
"Jeep not figuratively flip off their customers first." - Maybe you need to say "Jeep not figuratively flip ME off as a customer". Jeep has always taken care of me. My issues were always addressed (few as they were). Again back to my Tacoma, I actually had a service manager tell me to take it elsewhere because they were tired of trying to fix it. Was Toyota figuratively flipping me off dispite the legions of folks who havent had my "Toyota Experence"? Statements of that caliber are why the "Troll" comments are coming into play.

Lets go to the Toyota forums, post about a vehicle we are interested in, then re account our woes about a vehicle I FORMALLY owned using my experience to disparage the brand, search for other issues known to owners of the make in question and use that to support my supposition that the make is sub par and dosnt care about its customers.

Last edited:

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
"Itā€™s not a matter of disliking Jeeps, itā€™s a matter of not wanting my dealerā€™s service manager to know me by sight should I ever buy another.".

Like the Toyota Service managers I had with my POS 2018 Tacoma? Never had ANY problems with my JK's or my JL. Had one issue with my TJ when it was new. My Toyota was junk from the first time it left me stranded and the dealer couldn't figure out why. In the three years I owned it, it spent weeks in service, replacing parts and hoping it was fixed. I should have went after them with the "Lemon Law".

Tons of folks swear by the legendary Toyota reliability...but that wasn't my experience at all with the brand. .
I will never understand why people are paying these insane prices for the 2015+ Tacoma. They are uncomfortable, get terrible mileage, expensive, and cramped (especially the useless back seat.)

Now I get putting up with all that for the older Tacomas to get the bulletproof drivetrains but the 3.5 and auto trans in that thing are hot garbage. The older engine and trans combo is basically superior full stop.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d still take a Toyota over a Ford every day of the week, and twice on weekends.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I will never understand why people are paying these insane prices for the 2015+ Tacoma. They are uncomfortable, get terrible mileage, expensive, and cramped (especially the useless back seat.)

Now I get putting up with all that for the older Tacomas to get the bulletproof drivetrains but the 3.5 and auto trans in that thing are hot garbage. The older engine and trans combo is basically superior full stop.
I get why people buy them, they do look good after you kit them out. We saw a pretty ridiculous one with a massive pop-up camper and I was a bit jealous (especially because they had a heater and it was frickin freezing in our RTT). Looks aside, it was probably miserable to drive up in the mountains with that crappy V6.

The current Ranger is a much better truck and will only get better after the Bronco updates hit it (imagine that 2.7L in a Raptor or Tremor version).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s exactly what Tacoma owners say about Jeep buyers!

Dollar for dollar, a Tacoma costs $10,000 less than a comparably equipped Jeep.

But I know what you are saying: I was never able to feel comfortable in my 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, either.

Then, thereā€™s Tommy from TFL, who wonā€™t shut up about how uncomfortable he finds JL and JT seats, but doesnā€™t complain about the Tacoma seats...

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
We should always hate whatā€™s the most similar but different. For example, I have a Rubicon, so I hate Saharaā€™s. The Bronco will provide us a new wonderful thing to hate for all Jeep owners. Yah!

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have read through all of these pages and I feel dumber having done so. Iā€™m actually excited for a trail focused rig coming to market. I love my Jeep and wouldnā€™t trade it for a Bronco but I do think the new Ford is cool. The Ecoboost are proven (I owned one and it was epic). They are offering a manual transmission. It has some serious off road tech built in. 35ā€™s from the factory! I guess Iā€™m just not a fanboy. I have an iPhone but I think android is cool too.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
"Jeep not figuratively flip off their customers first." - Maybe you need to say "Jeep not figuratively flip ME off as a customer". Jeep has always taken care of me. My issues were always addressed (few as they were). Again back to my Tacoma, I actually had a service manager tell me to take it elsewhere because they were tired of trying to fix it. Was Toyota figuratively flipping me off dispite the legions of folks who havent had my "Toyota Experence"? Statements of that caliber are why the "Troll" comments are coming into play.

Lets go to the Toyota forums, post about a vehicle we are interested in, then re account our woes about a vehicle I FORMALLY owned using my experience to disparage the brand, search for other issues known to owners of the make in question and use that to support my supposition that the make is sub par and dosnt care about its customers.
You're free to do that if you like.

Note it's not me extrapolating what Jeep thinks from my personal experience, it's watching other posters here have their Wranglers waiting for parts for two, three months and more with little help coming from Jeep or JeepCares.

The parts exists, they're just using them to crank out new vehicles; that tells you what Jeep thinks of people who are already gave or are giving them money.

Note I'm not complaining about my TJ, I washed my hands of that.

It's that I would even enjoy getting a JL if I didn't want to worry about steering issues, the rear window wiring staying attached, it telling me the engine was about to shut off on the freeway, start/stop, the two batteries, the corrosion around the hinges, detonating clutches and so on.

I'm also not saying you couldn't find similar complaints about Tacomas, I'm sure there are.

Personally, if I were told that by a Toyota service manager, I'd have Toyota USA on the phone in five minutes and if they had nothing further to say every TV station in town in ten not to mention posts about it all over social media.