Sponsored

Just got home from Bronco event...

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rear-window-defroster-connector.51516/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardtop-rain-gutter-drains-into-cabin.20578/

Multiple people have had to wait with their JLs in the shop for two or three months or longer waiting for "back ordered' replacement parts.

Example:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-replacement-where-is-my-part-2020-jlu.62219/

Do you not read the threads here?
Go to any forum on any topic and you will find folks who have had issues with things most of us never have to deal with. So a few folks have had the rear defogger come loose, and Jeep fixed it for them. I've got a 2-door hardtop, so I will never see the rain gutters dripping into my footwells. And again, out of the thousands and thousands of Jeep JL's sold, some people have had issues getting replacement parts when their Jeep is in for service. You're dreaming if you think there will be no issues with the new Ford Bronco, the things you are harping about will happen with any vehicle that sells in the numbers that Jeep Wranglers do.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

Timdog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
I think interior sits somewhere between JK and JL. If you think OEM flares are bad, aftermarket are worse.

Back end of soft top opens up, majorly messing with side windows....why??? For those who are too lazy to unlatch rear window.

20210423_214657.jpg

20210423_195228.jpg
Must of got the flare idea
I think interior sits somewhere between JK and JL. If you think OEM flares are bad, aftermarket are worse.

Back end of soft top opens up, majorly messing with side windows....why??? For those who are too lazy to unlatch rear window.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 20210423_214657

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got home from Bronco event... 20210423_195228
Thought I seen these flares befor

DFE0E2BA-ED1D-4ADA-A691-66A6DBC9B2C5.jpeg

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rear-window-defroster-connector.51516/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardtop-rain-gutter-drains-into-cabin.20578/

Multiple people have had to wait with their JLs in the shop for two or three months or longer waiting for "back ordered' replacement parts.

Example:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-replacement-where-is-my-part-2020-jlu.62219/

Do you not read the threads here?
Serious question ...
If you don’t have a jeep and you don’t like jeeps ... why do you come on a jeep forum?

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
As a Ford retiree but Jeep owner, glad to see Ford get back into this obvious niche market for them, one we should have never left. These early production Broncos are going to have a few warts. Due to COVID the supply train has been a train wreck. I was initially disappointed in the IFS platform but they seem to perform admirably in most applications.

Jeep needs the competition, not only is Wrangler way overpriced, surviving on leasing and 84 month financing, they’ve gotten sloppy with quality and customer care, typical of Fiat. The opportunity is there for Ford if they can grasp it. From pricing to options and content they’re off to a good start.
I really agree with this. I've been a Jeep fan for awhile but was always intrigued by the old original Bronco. I had seen people in clubs/groups who modded them heavily and took them rock-crawling. There wasn't much talk about them, but I'd see one here and there on Jeep videos.

Last edited:

Raz4back

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma
Ford Bronco doesn’t do it for me. But I am sick and tired of FCA nickel-and-diming us for every little thing.

It is absurd having to pay extra for LEDs on a $50,000 Jeep when these days you get LEDs on a $17,000 Kia! Or having to buy proximity locks separately from remote start. Or this nonsense of offering a 5-inch, a 7-inch, and an 8-inch screen; come one, who pays extra for an 8-inch screen any more? Who even offers a 5-inch screen, period?

If nothing else, Bronco should keep FCA’s greed in check. It would be about time.
Ford really isn’t any better. Everything is tied to packages. They require the Lux package to get a heated steering wheel, upgraded stereo, and a garage door opener

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Correct: competition is always good as it strengthens all competitors.
You are correct with this statement but never forget the good old saying "While two dogs fight over a bone the third one runs away with it"

Ford's marketing mistake is that they think they are the competition in stead of being a competitor. I will not be surprised if Toyota reacts and revive the FJ40. I am not the only one having these thoughts, even the TopGear team made mention of it and did their own concept design. https://www.topgear.com.ph/features...a-gr-forty-land-cruiser-render-a2588-20210503

By the way - One never choose to buy a Jeep Wrangler, rather the Jeep Wrangler choose you and so the bond is formed, warts and all, forever.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Serious question ...
If you don’t have a jeep and you don’t like jeeps ... why do you come on a jeep forum?
I had a TJ and it spent at least one day per month for the entire three years I owned it having something replaced or diagnosed, it was by far the most unreliable vehicle I’ve owned, but it was also enjoyable.

When I bought my FJ I wanted something as close to capable as the Wrangler as I could find but it’s had the side benefit of being 100% reliable and has tackled everything I’ve thrown at it. Were they still making them, I’d buy another in an instant but I get why Toyota needed to kill them in the US due to their poor mileage bringing down the corporate CAFE average.

However it is ten years old at this point and I keep track of Wranglers and I still like them but it’s amazing how many of the same problems JLs had that TJs had, plus the addition of many others.

I want the Bronco to force Jeep to not have a “we have your money, ha ha ha” attitude towards quality and reliability. A great example is the rear window; rear window hatches have had defoggers forever but I don’t recall the cable coming detached on TJs or JKs. I don’t recall the hinge corrosion issues occurring on TJs. Of course TJs didn’t have start/stop either.

Then again, the Bronco isn’t a foregone conclusion either; the only companies I can think of with a worse reliability record than FCA/Stellantis would be GM or Ford.

You can be a fan and be very aware of how much work Jeep has to do to become even mid-pack in terms of quality and reliability; I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

I like Mustangs too, but every time I get in one I can see the interior is made of hard plastic held together with chewing gum and would maybe think of one if they can finally make a manual transmission that doesn’t self-destruct again.

It’s not a matter of disliking Jeeps, it’s a matter of not wanting my dealer’s service manager to know me by sight should I ever buy another.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I want the Bronco to force Jeep to not have a “we have your money, ha ha ha” attitude towards quality and reliability. A great example is the rear window; rear window hatches have had defoggers forever but I don’t recall the cable coming detached on TJs or JKs. I don’t recall the hinge corrosion issues occurring on TJs. Of course TJs didn’t have start/stop either.
While your point is reasonable, it's ignoring the fact that every manufacturer and vehicle out there has minor, isolated issues. Including the FJ Cruiser. Pretending Toyota doesn't proves your bias. The issue I have with posts like yours is you will cite posts in the issues forum like the sky is falling and than ignore all the members who said their Jeeps are trouble free.

Jeep Wrangler or not, every mass produced vehicle will have minor issues or quirks. It's simply the reality of mass production. Life will be much better for any enthusiast when they accept any vehicle they ever own will not be perfect.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I had a TJ and it spent at least one day per month for the entire three years I owned it having something replaced or diagnosed, it was by far the most unreliable vehicle I’ve owned, but it was also enjoyable.

When I bought my FJ I wanted something as close to capable as the Wrangler as I could find but it’s had the side benefit of being 100% reliable and has tackled everything I’ve thrown at it. Were they still making them, I’d buy another in an instant but I get why Toyota needed to kill them in the US due to their poor mileage bringing down the corporate CAFE average.

However it is ten years old at this point and I keep track of Wranglers and I still like them but it’s amazing how many of the same problems JLs had that TJs had, plus the addition of many others.

I can provide the opposite experience:

I had my 2004 TJ for 17 years and 160K miles. Never had a major (or even minor) issue with it. It was reliable and I never hesitated to take it cross-country.

I hated the styling of the JK when it came out. I was excited when the JL came out and currently have an order in place for one.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
On the Rubicon level, I feel steel bumpers and LED headlights should be standard at the least.
Agreed, especially since LED headlights (& fog lights) were standard on 2017-18 JK Rubicon (and Sahara).

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Serious question ...
What's comical is that most of these bronco threads were started by those who never owned a Jeep, or at least not a JL, which is an entirely different animal compared to previous generations. Most of the comedy is when reading the relentless excuses made for weaknesses in design made for pure looks, such as doubling the weatherstripping in the roof and pricy mirrors left to worry about on the trails. But it's nothing but crickets, when mentions get made of lower shock mounting studs left hanging in the direct line of fire, the lack of a structural crossbar on the sports cage, and a winch that gets mounted in front of the bumper instead of within it.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I got to see two Badlands units last night and I liked them. I'm not sure why people were knocking the interior, at least as good as the JL. My only major knock was the grab handles, I wish they were a little more beefy. I don't like to feel flex when I'm grabbing something that looks like it shouldn't flex. Also, I wish they had done a little more substantial switch for the aux switches. Something that makes it feel like you are firing up the space shuttle rather than turning off the light. Of course, the JL just has regular old buttons, so I'll just call this a missed opportunity to be badass.

I opened the visor and it didn't snap off in my hand, major points there.

Love how open it is with the top open, agree with the complaints about the softtop quality.

Did not like the steel bumper, maybe it has been changed. It had a bar portion that kept going across the front with the endcaps off rather than a true stubby.

One thing that stood out is how massive the tailgate was compared to the Wrangler. Not really an advantage or disadvantage, just very different.

I like our Wrangler a lot more after the steering box replacement, but I'll definitely give it a test drive when it starts showing up.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I haven't had an issue with our rear window defroster, but looking at ours after I saw these threads the JL looks absolutely horrid. The color on the etching by the connector looks really strange, like they burned it when they were connecting the wire. Maybe they let the intern after it, I dunno.

It isn't something you usually look at when you are car shopping (although it will be now).

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins

Then again, the Bronco isn’t a foregone conclusion either; the only companies I can think of with a worse reliability record than FCA/Stellantis would be GM or Ford.

You can be a fan and be very aware of how much work Jeep has to do to become even mid-pack in terms of quality and reliability; I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

I like Mustangs too, but every time I get in one I can see the interior is made of hard plastic held together with chewing gum and would maybe think of one if they can finally make a manual transmission that doesn’t self-destruct again.

It’s not a matter of disliking Jeeps, it’s a matter of not wanting my dealer’s service manager to know me by sight should I ever buy another.
Agreed, especially since LED headlights (& fog lights) were standard on 2017-18 JK Rubicon (and Sahara).

I have to disagree with the general idea that Jeep has not bettered the wrangler while pricing it well.

Real numbers no fluff, my 2015 JKUR I ordered to spec was $4,XXX less than my 2021 JKUR ... the 2021 has leather opposed to cloth, LEDs from the factory, high clearance fenders and upgraded hood. So take into account 6 years of inflation, plus the major upgrades to fit and finish of the JL compared to the JK that is an absolute bargain. It cost me more to get the JKUR to where my JL was from the factory. The JL is also on 37s and rides way better than the Jk on 35s.
I could go on and on about things like the hardtop being lighter and cleaner, how beefed up stock components are compared to the JK and even the motor options ...

To say jeep needs a Bronco to “be better” is just not true.
Sponsored