• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Just experienced death wobble on my stock JLU at 15k miles

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Confirmed it is pointing to the front of the vehicle so that’s not it. Thanks though.
I was thinking the oscillation would have likely occurred much sooner than 5k miles if it was a bad install. Good luck at dealer and keep us posted.
Sponsored

Whoisalejo

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
At 15k miles I’d bet your tires need to be re balanced or have slight uneven wear. JL’s like tire rotations more than any other vehicle I’ve owned. I had the wobbles around the same time and had the dealer put on some mule tires to prove that was the only thing wrong. Also JL’s really do need good stabilizers and my recall stabilizer made my Jeep drive worse. Good look.

OP
OP
ForeOSU

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
@JeepCares - I need some help on this one. My local dealer gave a shot at a “quick fix” and simply replaced the steering damper (CCUKV411AA) and a “steering box bolt kit” (CCUKV413AA) which did not fix my issue. I am still experiencing violent shaking of the steering wheel and tires when hitting moderate or worse bumps on the highway at speeds over 55mph. This is putting me in an unsafe situation.

My local dealer (Performance Jeepland of Centerville) does not have a service department available on the weekends, leaving me without a safe vehicle to drive to and from my job tomorrow and Monday.

I’ve spoken to their sales department and the only option they offered me was to try and drop my vehicle off on Wednesday Feb 17 and they would “try and fit me in” and could not guarantee a loaner vehicle.

To say I’m disappointed in the level of customer service on my 9-month old vehicle is a gross understatement. I need my Wrangler fixed and a reliable loaner while it is being repaired.

Thanks for the help!

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Great advice above. Curious - has the V41 damper recall been performed? If so - make sure it wasn’t installed upside down; it will cause the conditions you’ve described (happened to me).
This happened to me last week. Went in for a CEL light, and they swapped the factory ss without notifying me. Got a 1/4 mile down the road and had death wobble for the first time, and I've had 37s on mine since 200 miles, now have 18k.
took it immediately back, and it happened 2 more times on the way back.
They did not install the ss upside down, but they failed to bleed the air out of the replacement properly. Worked fine after that.
I don't think the replacements are faulty, they just need bled properly, and this was something even the service manager stated after re-doing mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ForeOSU

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
After multiple trips to the dealer, the issue appears to be fixed. They replaced the steering damper, track bar and the steering gearbox.

HOWEVER, now my steering is super sloppy. With my original gearbox, I had tight steering that I was really happy with. No wandering or sloppy feel. Now with the “new” gearbox, there is a bunch of play in the wheel, I move all over at highway speeds and the steering wheel has an annoying “rough” spot in it when moving the wheel back and forth. Something definitely doesn’t feel right - anyone else experience this with the steering gearbox “upgrade”?

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
there are at least two TSB's addressing this. get it to a dealer asap. plan on having a loaner. this is exactly how my DW started and it got worse and worse.
eventually it required a hd trackbar and steering sector brace to fix it. i believe one of the TSB's will actually cover you and replace the steering box and track bar.
good luck

if you are sure they replaced the steering box, maybe things are not torqued properly.

get a steering sector brace. synergy makes one, there is another brand around as well. the brace and a HD adjustable trackbar (several brands also available) will tighten the steering up.
Sponsored