Just don't buy the 4xe! Please don't!

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Forget it, don’t waste any more time or money. Contact a law office that specializes in lemon law. Don’t bother with their BBB Arbitration BS, just file a demand letter and include all costs you’ve incurred as a result of Jeep’s breach of warranty. I used to do this stuff for a living before I retired, you can thank me later. No, I am not soliciting business, just giving you some advice based upon 40 years in the auto industry. Jeep is about the worst at taking care of their buyers. Once they get your money they could care less.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Hey Folks,

Let me share my story here as well to serve as a good lesson learned for anyone looking into the 4xe. Just simply don't buy it. Not because it's awfully bad. But because this is a test Jeep with 0 support from Chrysler/Jeep

After waiting for my 4xe almost 3 months, I was able to use it only for 42 days. And then it died. It's been in the shop since 85!!!! Days. Twice as long as I've used it. And still not fixed. FCA/Stellantis provides 0 support for this test trim. Biggest failure of the Wranglers.

Not to mention they don't provide loaner/rental either. I've spend $7000 so far (and counting) on cheap car rentals our of pocket.

Read my full story below if you are interested.

But please don't ever buy this. Choose the regular gas version. Or wait 2-3 years untill Jeep can gather some spare parts so they can fix at least what is broken.

You're beyond 30 days, in California, which means you're getting your money back.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Did a test drive and it was great but after 20 something miles it’s a Jeep with a heavy battery A used 4xe isn’t bringing a premium without the tax credit I’m glad you like yours but I’m addressing the resale value not the burst of performance you get for a short trip each day. It’s a way for Jeep to increase the avg fleet gas mileage.
Why shouldn't the resale value reflect the tax credit? I'm not understanding your point here maybe. Also, that burst of performance isn't for a short trip, you always have the added power from the electric motors on demand.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When an OEM puts a vehicle to market there is no way you can fault the consumer, if this was test vehicle then OK but it’s absurd to put it back on the person for buying a production model
While I won't call it the consumer's "fault", conventional wisdom warns against buying the very first iteration of a new vehicle. That said, to the it's-a-lemon folks, isn't this simply about unavailable parts?

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
That said, to the it's-a-lemon folks, isn't this simply about unavailable parts?
I think the argument everyone is hung up on is that most of the current Lemon Laws out there are geared towards consumer protection from being without their vehicle for an unknown period of time while repairs are made; especially in the case of a vehicle that's had multiple faults for the same issues with no permanent resolution in sight. At least that's my understanding of it. It's not wrong by any means, but parts availability across the industry is pretty slim to none as is. I get OP is frustrated and feels like he's getting the shaft by Jeep about this issue, but just short of starting legal action I don't really see an alternative to waiting it out. Even with a Lemon claim/case, it's still going to take several weeks before the situation would be resolved completely. It doesn't just get fixed overnight.

In the end, Jeep is going to prioritize meeting their current order demands by putting the parts they have available into those orders so they can turn a profit. Setting aside more parts and or slowing/stopping production to fulfill warranty issues doesn't 'keep the lights on' when they've already made money off of those vehicles. Should they put a pause in place to fix the current crop of major faults present in customer vehicles? Of course, it's a commitment they made when they offered the basic warranty to consumers from the get go. Will they? Nope. They don't see this issue or the handful of issues that are plaguing a small percentage of owners as a big enough problem like Ford has with most of their Bronco Hardtop models. It's all a big numbers game to the brass that runs Jeep (and Stellantis for that matter) which we don't get to see in black and white to understand their reasoning.

Sponsored

Royal

First Name
Royal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I'll admit, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought the OP was trying to eliminate competition for him to buy one.

Over 1k miles on mine, no issues (knock wood). Seen guys in the 4XE groups with 12-15k miles and no issues. Not sure what to say for the OP that hasn't already been said, other than... bummer dude, hope it works out soon.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
3 weeks and 1000 miles. Totally get this and praying I dont have a bad experience. having said that, went in with eyes open. ALL hybrid components covered under 10yr law required emissions warranty (battery has it own). I researched dealers first and found a 5 star about 40 min away - with new vehicle launches, dealer is everything. My dealer has a full loaner guaranty for warranty work - written coverage beyond Jeep. But I researched many new cars and this had what I wanted. Top value for my 2015 Yukon Denali and good deal on the Jeep so $ sense. Wife daily driver into town and already my calculations over the yukon is about $1500 in fuel savings with electric cost factored in. we also installing solar, so that will only get better. We understood the fuel penalty on trips BEFORE we bought, but taking a Jeep on trips and having the FUN at our destination is worth the fuel penalty. But only in hybrid - but we do find free charging stations at places where we need to stop so that adds a little. HATE the loud AC. really not the silent event hoped for if you run the AC. However, if I have windows down, then really dont need the AC. If window up....who cares. I think the message here is eyes open, but I was disappointed to read more of a gripe list than a real top 10 list. As everyone has said, if I have launch issues of this level, lemon law claimed because that this is money in the pocket. And then I will just rebuy a new one and claim the credit again, because it hit everything for me

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
Sorry you have problems with yours, but your one out of a few thousand that don’t have any problems. I will be getting one soon.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Why shouldn't the resale value reflect the tax credit? I'm not understanding your point here maybe. Also, that burst of performance isn't for a short trip, you always have the added power from the electric motors on demand.
The tax credit is only for the original buyer. That’s $7,500 of incentive gone. Buying new at sticker would be the logical way to go vs buying used unless the used is adjusted for the tax credit going away.
All of the reviews online seem positive on the performance and resale will be determined by the marketplace.
It’s still a Jeep so resale is always above average but I think the tax credit will effect used prices at least the first year or two.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
The tax credit is only for the original buyer. That’s $7,500 of incentive gone. Buying new at sticker would be the logical way to go vs buying used unless the used is adjusted for the tax credit going away.
All of the reviews online seem positive on the performance and resale will be determined by the marketplace.
It’s still a Jeep so resale is always above average but I think the tax credit will effect used prices at least the first year or two.
Right, so the used price has to reflect the tax credit. That isn't a bad thing. It should work that way or else the tax credit is really just incentive to buy the 4xe and sell it for the difference. Though not everyone qualifies for the tax credit so I would think eventually that "hit" on resale value ends up being a bit less than the tax credit itself.

Sponsored

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
While this sucks for the poster who has a lemon of a car, my question is how many 4xe's are having problems like this vs. ANY other car/SUV sold today? I mean a certain small amount of Honda Accord's have some odd lemon issue, and I am not seeing anything here or in the news about the 4xe having issues well above and beyond most other cars. (And BTW, my other car is a Chevy Bolt, so I know all about major car issues!)

So the post should be titled something like, 'My lemon of a 4xe' or something like that. I have had my 4xe for almost 6 months now, 2 long trips on it, sand, rock crawling, errands around town, and I have had no issues and love the car. Yes, I knew buying the first edition of a brand new technology has some inherent risks, but as of now it seems the 4xe to actually be a very stable car with no more major issues then any other car. So again, sympathy for the poster, it does suck, but to say 'Don't buy this car' is just going off emotions, not actual FACT of fail rates of the car.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
This is what cautioned me against the 4xe. I like it in theory, but I really love having a manual Jeep (for one), and two - it's untested. With that said, I went with Jeep at the beginning purchasing a '07 JKU brand new in October 2006. It has been absolutely perfect through a ton of abuse. I'm really only selling to mix it up and grab a Rubicon, different color, and because I'm planning on making more trips to OBX, Florida, etc. and want something I know I can depend on (the other reason I'm not getting the 4xe).

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
While this sucks for the poster who has a lemon of a car, my question is how many 4xe's are having problems like this vs. ANY other car/SUV sold today? I mean a certain small amount of Honda Accord's have some odd lemon issue, and I am not seeing anything here or in the news about the 4xe having issues well above and beyond most other cars. (And BTW, my other car is a Chevy Bolt, so I know all about major car issues!)

So the post should be titled something like, 'My lemon of a 4xe' or something like that. I have had my 4xe for almost 6 months now, 2 long trips on it, sand, rock crawling, errands around town, and I have had no issues and love the car. Yes, I knew buying the first edition of a brand new technology has some inherent risks, but as of now it seems the 4xe to actually be a very stable car with no more major issues then any other car. So again, sympathy for the poster, it does suck, but to say 'Don't buy this car' is just going off emotions, not actual FACT of fail rates of the car.
While I totally feel for the Op, and completely understand his frustration the reality is parts are a huge issue right now. I had a Toyota with less than 800 miles go In for an issue (door lock sensor stopped working) it took them 3.5 weeks to get the part In.

I have a friend who bought a brand new C8 Corvette and with less than 1200 miles it needed a new DCT transmission. It took them over 45 days to get a new trans.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Sorry you are going through this, but there is no way in hell I would spend over (whatever a 30 day rental price is). I would be up at the service manager's office every damn day demanding they "at least" give me a loaner. 85 days and they still haven't fixed it?! Oh HELL NAW!! Like others have said, you are past the lemon law days!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
How is the vehicle itself a lemon if the issue is that it's waiting on pandemic-delayed parts?
Sponsored