Sponsored

Just don't buy the 4xe! Please don't!

blue89bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I’d highly recommend a lemon law attorney. I’d personally recommend Bob Silverman at Kimmel and Silverman. Took 5 months but just settled my case against GM for my Escalade.
Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
The funny thing is that I have a friend who too bought a (regular gas-powered) JL that was yellow-colored too, and it ended up being a lemon. It took her months trying to fight Jeep in court.

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have had my 4xe for 4 months now and have almost 12k miles on it. Thus far I have had no issues. I understand the frustration but under normal circumstances repair parts would not be an issue. Its the world we live in right now. I have had a dozen Jeeps and never had issues.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Not to mention they don't provide loaner/rental either. I've spend $7000 so far (and counting) on cheap car rentals our of pocket.
As an aside, how is it possible to spend $7K on 85 days of car rental? You can likely lease a basic Civic (for 36 months!) for that much money. Or...did I interpret this wrong?

Doesn't sound like your Jeep is a lemon. Just a vehicle waiting on parts held up by the pandemic. "For the want of a nail...the kingdom was lost"

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Reading the threads about techs putting 6 quarts rather than the spec 5 quarts of oil into the 3.6 leaves me thinking that I should seriously consider passing on my 3 free oil services.
I just scheduled the inaugural State safety inspection appt. at my selling dealer, mentioning that it would be my first visit to their Service Dept. The advisor, who was otherwise polite, really needed to be dissuaded (by me) from adding the Jeep Wave tire rotation and oil change benefit to the Work Order, despite several mentions that I've already done, and prefer to do, the work myself.

They'll get one chance with the vehicle. Any deviation means I'll never voluntarily darken their service bays again, no matter that I'd be walking away from a free lifetime State inspection benefit.

Maybe the OP should rename title to "I'm having crazy issues with my 4xe, but I acknowledge that many many others have not had my issues".

But that would catch less fish.
Mm. The concurrent bundling of a website article in the first post gives it the odor of click hunting, too.

Sponsored

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
Hire a lemon law attorney. It will take six months (ask me how I know) but Jeep will have to buy your 4xe back regardless if leased and reimburse you for everything out of pock from day one including the rental car.

85 days out of service is twice what the majority of state lemon laws require. Yours sounds like and open and shut case. Take the money and use it towards a 2.0T (next best mpg) Jeep or something else.
Depends on how it’s looked at. Some look at time spent in the shop which most is 30days others require 4 times in the shop for the same issue within 2/24000

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Depends on how it’s looked at. Some look at time spent in the shop which most is 30days others require 4 times in the shop for the same issue within 2/24000
And exactly way he needs an attorney to review his situation. They will be able to tell the OP in minutes if he has a solid case. Also should not cost the OP anything as attorney fees are paid by Jeep as part of the settlement.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
My PHEV story.
Ford Fusion 2013 in the first 300 cars made. Best and worst car I have owned. 2 years no issues at all. This was the best car ever. 3rd year it died. DEAD No anything.... Tow truck came and pulled it from the garage. Ford had it for almost 4 months. After the first 30 days, I told ford to make the car payments. They did. They kept in a rental ( they paid ). Got it back, it needed to have paint repairs. The animals working on it dropped the rear driver door. Bumpers were all scratched up. Amazing the damage they did to it under their care. It was repainted. The total bill was just under $20k to fix the car. All covered by Ford. Drove it for the time of the extended warranty ( 7 years ) and sold it. Never had a second problem with it. Just was to worried if it broke again and cost $15-20k to fix once more. You need to talk with higher up management to make it right for you. Key word " Talk ".

I drove the 4Xe. It's nice. I will wait till the 3rd year made. That's just me.
Best of luck. I'm sure Jeep will make it right. You just need to find the correct manager to talk with.

OP
OP

botond.kopacz

First Name
Botond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Thanks for all the comments! Yes as I mentioned it's awesome to drive. It doesn't really gets from 0 to 60 in 6 sec, the power is insane. I drove the other Wrangers (, except the 392) and it's just insane. Just wish I was a little bit more lucky - fortunately it's not a daily driver.

Regarding $6k on rental (and counting), yes it's crazy. And this is with my corporate -30% discount. I was wondering the same - for this I could have bought a used electric Fiat 500. Or something. But that wouldn't be reimbursed by Jeep. This is. Or will be later on.

Will keep this post updated once the Jeep is back from the shop.

Regards the 10k happy mile - I think once the 4xe is past 4-5k miles, most likely it won't have any further. Most of the the
major issues I recall happened under 2 miles. Mine started showing problems at ~300 mile, others < 100. So once over the 4-5k mark, it's pretty safe to assume it will be reliable.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
It's exactly this. A lot of people don't realize how bad shortages are... not only chips, but raw materials. I'm an automation engineer for the automotive industry, and some of our most basic components have gone from 16 weeks up to 34 weeks. In early 2020, you could get parts within a week. I'm talking about parts with zero chips, just industrial breakers and contactors, are upwards of 28 weeks.
I understand this part. In fact, I think we all do, as we hear about COVID disrupting parts supplies on an almost daily basis. It appears the OP understands too, but he highlights the fact that new 4XEs continue to roll off the assembly line, so it appears that essential parts serve the assembly line first… A lot of new Jeep’s have delivered over the last 85 days. If the manufacturer cared about the customer after the sale the OP’s transmission would have been replaced by now, but customer service drops to absolute lowest priority when the manufacturer can sell all they can build, even with terrible customer service.

Even the notoriously crappy “Yugo” could have stayed in business in this economy.

I also agree there’s no excuse for not providing a rental/loaner at no cost.

And I agree the OP should file a lemon law claim ASAP. Even if the OP wants to keep his Jeep, and I sure wouldn’t, a pending claim will improve his bargaining position and expedite a response.

For those who complain about the clarity of the OP’s writing, his grammar and syntax make it obvious that he’s not a native English speaker. For somebody communicating in his second or third language I’d say he did a fine job of describing the screwing he’s being given. Frankly, his descriptions are more clear and more gracious than mine would be after being treated like this.

Botond, please continue to sing this story loudly and clearly in every language and venue. Business practices won’t change until they cause the manufacturer more financial pain than treating people fairly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
...fortunately it's not a daily driver.

Regarding $6k on rental (and counting), yes it's crazy. And this is with my corporate -30% discount. I was wondering the same - for this I could have bought a used electric Fiat 500. Or something. But that wouldn't be reimbursed by Jeep. This is. Or will be later on.
You still haven't explained why you spent a ton of money on rental cars. If the Jeep is not a daily driver, then why do you need a rental car. Just drive your daily driver.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Then don't sell the Jeep plain and simple. People want to complain about covid, part shortages, chip issues, supply problems blah blah blah. Plain and simple Jeep should not be selling a product to the end user that is garbage and is having MAJOR issues (not a simple recall, software update etc etc) and he can't drive it for 85 days and MOST IMPORTANT won't even give him a loaner and/or a rental.

Please stop defending Jeep and use all these excuses. They sold a Jeep that was not ready to be sold. If you don't have parts to fix, chips to replace, employees to update software, loaner cars to loan.... then don't sell the vehicle until you do.
How would Jeep know that it was not ready to be sold? Should EVERY Jeep be field tested for two months before delivery? Is every, or a very high percentage, of 4xe’s experiencing this problem that Jeep should stop production and hold all sales of 4xe’s until the solution is found? Should Jeep have known THAT 4xe was going to have a failure after a month and a half of service? An idiotic answer to any of those questions is, yes. There is a system for dealing with just this kind of issue, and the OP should avail himself of it, I would if in his place. I feel for the OP. I would be incensed if I had the same experience. This is not the Jeep windmill that requires tilting. Those would be sensors that fail for an excusable reason, and require an arcane fix. Or body shell materials that corrode under normal operating conditions. I make no apologies for what Jeep is doing to customers, but this isn’t the case that deserves that scrutiny.

OP, I am truly sorry for your plight. Good luck with making it right. You deserve to be as pissed of as you like. The rest of you whiners should find another pastime.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Well, Botond, your first mistake was buying the "A Model" and expecting everything to be perfect. There isn't a single brand new or redesign vehicle out there that didn't have issues on launch (which by the way wasn't more than 6 months ago). Jeep has been pushing updates and fixes out for the vast majority of issues customers have been having. Yes, parts are scarce right now but that's across the whole industry. I'm still waiting on all weather floor mats from my dealer.
I bought mine knowing full well that there was a very real possibility I could be facing a major glitch or issue within a very short period of time and a long wait before it could be fixed. That was something I was willing to live with. The truth is there is a large number of owners that have NOT had any issues or they were so minor that they were back on the road in a day or 2.

Sorry to be brutally honest but shit happens. I'm sure your dealer would be more than happy to swap yours out for a regular one considering the heavy demand for the 4xe platform and charge that next person a premium for it as a certified used vehicle.
Guessing Jeep wouldn’t want a used 4xe unless they steal it. Without a tax credit it’s more of a novelty with the short E range. I had a Ford C-Max plug in for a company car and after 20 some miles it was just a gas Cmax carrying a heavy battery around.
Sponsored