Sponsored

Just don't buy the 4xe! Please don't!

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
Not that of a bummer as the Jeep is / was for fun, not primary car or daily driver but still. For someone whom this will be a daily driver or planning to do backcountry trips...will be a little help that for majority of people it works flawlessly when it stops in the middle of nowhere.
if the Jeep is only a for fun, not primary car or daily driver, why did you spend so much on a rental?
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Yet another example of why I refuse to purchase the first model year of a new vehicle, or one with a material redesign, or when considerable integration of new technology has occurred. It's unfortunate to say this, but I expected threads like this one from the moment I learned about the 4xe.

I'm just old enough to remember when General Motors watched as Pontiac Fiero buyers acted as unknowing beta testers (for more than just the initial model year). The car was finally well sorted for model year 1988. At that point, though, the long memories of consumers and the automotive press prevented continuing sales in any viable manner for GM. And so the Fiero was withdrawn from production just when it had become a really good vehicle.

I don't know if the same will occur with the 4xe, with respect to the public assistance tax schemes associated with partial/full electric vehicles, but it will be interesting to watch nonetheless.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I mean...this just seems like any other number of lemon stories? I get that this is awful and you should definitely seek legal recourse to recoup your expenses and time, but what about this makes it a 4xe issue, specifically?

If I didn't buy a car that didn't have a bad lemon experience, is there anything left below 100k?

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
TL;DR:
[/QUOTE]
Agree with this and I'm sorry to add, not very well written. That said though, your points are clearly resonating with folks on this forum. Someone made the observation that beyond basic oil changes and tire rotations, most Jeep techs are useless. That might be an overstatement but generally it seems true. Reading the threads about techs putting 6 quarts rather than the spec 5 quarts of oil into the 3.6 leaves me thinking that I should seriously consider passing on my 3 free oil services.

Sponsored

Kim2021Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2018 JKUR, 2021 JLUR ON ORDER
Agree with this and I'm sorry to add, not very well written. That said though, your points are clearly resonating with folks on this forum. Someone made the observation that beyond basic oil changes and tire rotations, most Jeep techs are useless. That might be an overstatement but generally it seems true. Reading the threads about techs putting 6 quarts rather than the spec 5 quarts of oil into the 3.6 leaves me thinking that I should seriously consider passing on my 3 free oil services.
[/QUOTE]

I will be passing on my free oil changes. When I went to the dealer for oil changes with my previous Jeep, I sat for an hour and a half each time and they didn’t take appointments. Not worth it especially after reading about the overfilling issue you mentioned. Our local oil change place is fast, nice, and does a good job.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
80% of this problem is tied to the parts supply shortages, the rest is techs who have to deal with 6 engine configurations. The good news is : it's temporary. Both of these issues will improve, and the 4xe will be like every other new tech roll out.

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WK2 Limited, 21 JLUR 4xe
80% of this problem is tied to the parts supply shortages, the rest is techs who have to deal with 6 engine configurations. The good news is : it's temporary. Both of these issues will improve, and the 4xe will be like every other new tech roll out.
It's exactly this. A lot of people don't realize how bad shortages are... not only chips, but raw materials. I'm an automation engineer for the automotive industry, and some of our most basic components have gone from 16 weeks up to 34 weeks. In early 2020, you could get parts within a week. I'm talking about parts with zero chips, just industrial breakers and contactors, are upwards of 28 weeks.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
You don’t need to hire an attorney, just send a certified letter to Jeep requesting they buy back your vehicle under lemon law. They have 15 days to respond, I think, details are in your states applicable lemon law. I was in a similar situation, with a Nissan that I bought.

The letter got engineers flown out from California, and the issue was finally fixed on the last day they had to repair it. On top of that, they gave me a 100k mile warranty for my trouble and offered to pay a car payment. Dealership won’t push the issue, you have to.

Worst case, they buy it back, and you get to take the tax credit as a freebie.

You are the only one that can escalate this issue. Good luck.
Precisely, OP shouldn't need an attorney just a certified letter. State the Lemon Law element Stellantis is violating and request buy-back or replacement. Close friend just did this with VW Group. The entire process took less than a month. Different states and laws but one would think liberal CA would be more consumer friendly than NC? Here it is 30 days out of service or 3 failed repair attempts. Good luck OP!!!

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Hey Folks,

Let me share my story here as well to serve as a good lesson learned for anyone looking into the 4xe. Just simply don't buy it. Not because it's awfully bad. But because this is a test Jeep with 0 support from Chrysler/Jeep

After waiting for my 4xe almost 3 months, I was able to use it only for 42 days. And then it died. It's been in the shop since 85!!!! Days. Twice as long as I've used it. And still not fixed. FCA/Stellantis provides 0 support for this test trim. Biggest failure of the Wranglers.

Not to mention they don't provide loaner/rental either. I've spend $7000 so far (and counting) on cheap car rentals our of pocket.

Read my full story below if you are interested.

But please don't ever buy this. Choose the regular gas version. Or wait 2-3 years untill Jeep can gather some spare parts so they can fix at least what is broken.

Why won’t they provide a rental? I had my GC in the shop Stellantis paid for my rental.

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Precisely, OP shouldn't need an attorney just a certified letter. State the Lemon Law element Stellantis is violating and request buy-back or replacement. Close friend just did this with VW Group. The entire process took less than a month. Different states and laws but one would think liberal CA would be more consumer friendly than NC? Here it is 30 days out of service or 3 failed repair attempts. Good luck OP!!!
Can confirm. I did it without an attorney. Start a case with Jeep Cares and send the notice certified mail. Google something like presumption to apply lemon law California to determine what content is required in the letter. Document EVERYTHING ahead of time and be aware the dealer will not be helpful in providing documentation after the letter is received. You'll need shop orders that show what they did, when, what parts were changed, dates in and out etc. Most state laws are based on attempts to fix same issue and number of overnights without your vehicle.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
It's exactly this. A lot of people don't realize how bad shortages are... not only chips, but raw materials. I'm an automation engineer for the automotive industry, and some of our most basic components have gone from 16 weeks up to 34 weeks. In early 2020, you could get parts within a week. I'm talking about parts with zero chips, just industrial breakers and contactors, are upwards of 28 weeks.
Then don't sell the Jeep plain and simple. People want to complain about covid, part shortages, chip issues, supply problems blah blah blah. Plain and simple Jeep should not be selling a product to the end user that is garbage and is having MAJOR issues (not a simple recall, software update etc etc) and he can't drive it for 85 days and MOST IMPORTANT won't even give him a loaner and/or a rental.

Please stop defending Jeep and use all these excuses. They sold a Jeep that was not ready to be sold. If you don't have parts to fix, chips to replace, employees to update software, loaner cars to loan.... then don't sell the vehicle until you do.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
@botond.kopacz sorry to hear you’re having such a terrible experience with your 4xe. I was nervous buying into the first run of a new model (which I have never done before), but took a chance and am satisfied with my 4xe. I’m one of the lucky ones with no issues.

If I were you, I would 100% pursue a lemon law buy back with Jeep. Things go wrong with every car manufacturer, especially new models, but what you’re experiencing is something NO car buyer should have to go through. Good luck with whichever route you end up choosing.