Sponsored

Just curious what y'all prefer, black or Body color hard top?

Black hard top or Body color hard top?

• Total voters

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I really love the look with the black top and painted fender flares. The painted fenders on the JK looked odd to me but the JL looks great since they have black on the bottom. Just my two cents.
Sponsored

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to get a red jeep and saw one with a red top and red fenders and thought to myself: "this is a whole lot of red." so I know I prefer black top and fenders. I like the contrast.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I was going to get a red jeep and saw one with a red top and red fenders and thought to myself: "this is a whole lot of red." so I know I prefer black top and fenders. I like the contrast.
My sentiments exactly. I do not care for the color matched top and fenders, but to each their own.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
very valid point, especially for such a bold color like Firecracker Red.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for your reply.

I've honestly been thinking about this nonstop since I placed my order a few weeks ago. I even called the salesman once to see if I could switch to the painted top if I wanted to but then decided to keep the black lol. I keep looking at pictures of my build with both tops and contemplating it.

I think my problem overall is that I just dig the vehicle and like both looks. It's like trying to decide if I'd rather have $100 bill or five twenty dollar bills lol.

I think where I've gotten is that I slightly prefer the look of the black top. I like the contrast, it takes away the "boxy" SUV look and think it just makes it look more like a Jeep with a bit more of a rugged feel to it. I also like that I won't constantly worry about scratching the panels or top when taking them off. The negatives for me are having to care for it with protectant and worrying about fading.

I do still like the painted top too though and like that it doesn't need the maintenance of the black top. But I definitely get more of a traditional SUV feel with the painted top. It almost feels like a Jeep Cherokee or Hummer H3 with the painted top.

I do think color matters though as my opinions seems to sway a little when the color changes. I've ordered the granite crystal metallic. I think the black top looks pretty sharp with it and works with the overall color scheme and other black plastic on mirrors, door handles, bumpers, etc.

The fender flares were a much easier decision. I just didn't like seeing those plastic flares in my line of site so often for some reason. There's enough other black plastic around the vehicle to match well with the black top IMO with mirrors, bumpers, door handles, etc , etc.

Getting a bit excited as I should be within about 2-3 weeks of having it. It's a tough wait!
just to help avoid with plastic fading, I detail and seal (liquid sealants vs wax preference) my black top no different the rest of my paint. Its a nice satin color and holds up very well so far. Not weird obnoxious stains from water or bird poop. Though I do wash and detail regularly so I'm sure that helps.

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I voted black. I ordered my jeep with black hard top.

For me it was choice of re-sale! I was thinking if i didn't like the hard top, i can easily sell it and buy a soft top, any color jeep can buy a black hard top and use it, but who would want to buy a sarge green top? i would limit myself to those who own sarge green and i didn't want to be limited.

The second reason was the maintenance of another colored panel, polishing waxing etc..

The third reason was that if i liked the hard top, i might opt to install a roof rack with a roof rack tent and drill holes in the top, i figured drilling holes in an expensive colored top is probably a bad idea and the black is better for that..

So there, those were my reasons.. It had nothing to do with contrast or look :)

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I like the body-colored hardtop and fenders and the black soft top with black fenders.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I like the contrast. I Always get black. Body color looks to carish. (If that’s a word).

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I went with the black top and black fenders. I actually would have preferred painted fenders for aesthetics but The fenders can get beat up when off-roading. Black plastic is far easier/cheaper to replace and scratches aren’t as noticeable.

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
I didn’t originally want one with matching flares abs hard top. But as I waited for my order, my eyes kept being drawn to Jeeps with matching tops. It all depends on the colour. I love my matching top, I think it pops really well with the wrap I chose

3A8BA068-8319-4601-B831-FA91583BBAB2.jpeg

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
My think first it depends on what color you got. I did not want to get matching hardtop or fenders on my Rubicon when I ordered it, but now with my Rubicon I wish I would have got the white fendors with my white Jeep. It really looks good because I did not plan on changing the fenders. I like my plastic fenders if I lean up against a rock ledge hard I just replace clips instead of body damage. Some of the fenders people have because they're bolted on and their steel and something has to give and it's the body of your Jeep

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I recently placed my order and went with the black hard top with painted fenders on my Sting Gray JLUR....I went back and forth and looked up so many images on google to get the best picture of what I wanted and I always kept coming back to the black top with painted fenders.

They all look good, but I went with what I saw as the best looking combo....I think the black top just has that classic iconic Jeep look as opposed to the more G-Wagon look of the colored top.

I also struggled with what color to go with....I really like the white and silver, but sting gray won in the end

RonLee

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel, 2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
My first 4 ot 5 Jeeps were black top & black fenders, now I've mellowed a bit, Ilike the body color..,.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

black. i feel that the fiberglass tops dont match the body panels 100%. rather have a way different color than one that's just close. plus i dont wanna worry about body color fenders scratching
Sponsored