Sponsored

Just curious what y'all prefer, black or Body color hard top?

Black hard top or Body color hard top?

• Total voters

Traveler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Hella Yella, 2011 JK, 1997 TJ Sport, 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland
I may be in the minority, but I believe the painted fenders can go very well with the black hard top.

I have owned many Jeeps since 1992, and one of the things I cannot stand is the way the unpainted fenders fade over time. My 97 TJ sport fenders look absolutely grey, almost white, no matter how much back to black I put on it.

While some are a fan of the yellow hard top, to me it just is a bit too much yellow, got to go with the contrast.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just curious what y'all prefer, black or Body color hard top? Jeep 5 (2)

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I went black top, painted fenders.

When I go on climbing trips, we often drive through areas that have low hanging stuff to get to our camping area. I didn't want to have to worry about branches scratching the top.

I also did not want to have to worry when taking the freedom tops off. I am OK just throwing them in the back. I do not care if they get scratches from sliding around in the cargo area.

The painted fenders just happened to be what was on the one available with the options I wanted. I am also looking at ordering a set of unpainted rubicon fenders for the same reasons & more clearance.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I like the black. The women in the family prefer the body colored tops. My Jeep, my top.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I went for black because I like the contrast.
I got the dual top option so I wanted the look to be as similar as possible with either top. I did go with body colored fenders as I like that look better with Hella Yella.

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Black all day. It gets dragged across branches, we stand/sit on it, and I like the two-tone look.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I may be in the minority, but I believe the painted fenders can go very well with the black hard top.

I have owned many Jeeps since 1992, and one of the things I cannot stand is the way the unpainted fenders fade over time. My 97 TJ sport fenders look absolutely grey, almost white, no matter how much back to black I put on it.

While some are a fan of the yellow hard top, to me it just is a bit too much yellow, got to go with the contrast.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just curious what y'all prefer, black or Body color hard top? Jeep 5 (2)
Mine looks almost identical except my wheels are the other factory version. I really like the colored fenders and black top with Hella Yella.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Black top and unpainted fenders for me. Seems less painful scratching those up. And I like the contrast on a white Jeep

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Don't have a jeep yet, hopefully by the end of the year. Plan to go color matched fenders, with black 3 piece top.
1) I like some contrast but i also like some matching. (hence the matched fenders but black top)
2) rented a jeep in hawaii last year. it was really convenient to quickly remove the 2 pieces above the driver and passenger and just place them in the cargo area, at any point in time. Not sure I would be willing to do that if they were painted.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I always like the Black, but most recently I bought off the lot and they didn't have a black top, now having a body colour Punk'n for a year, I prefer body colour with Punk'N, but a black top is fine and has it's generic advantages.

My last Wrangler was Anvil, and I still prefer the Black top with Anvil, or Black top with Green(body colour wasn't available in 2007), and always liked black going back to TJs, and YJs.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
What are y'all choosing? And why?
Although I think both the black and the color matching look good, I just like the look of the color matching better. I strongly considered the black top only because I figured that I wouldn’t be as concerned with the freedom panels getting scratched when taking them off, but liked the look of the color matching so much better.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
I went color matched top and fenders. It was my first new Wrangler and I ordered it. After I checked just about every box the deal was done. I ordered things that costed me good money only take them off for upgrades. Like wheels, I ordered the upgrade and took them off after 25 miles to put nicer wheels. If I ordered it today It would have been stock wheels, black top and black fenders. For the purpose of a true Jeep experience black makes more sense. Scratch it who cares, break it just go on Ebay and find someones takeoffs. Black makes more sense. But I still like to look of all colored matched.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
ours is black, but, a different sheen. a high gloss black roof would look too (for lack of a better phrase) kid's car.
I've seen all one color, and, to me, they look kinda kitschy.
Sponsored