Sponsored

Just bought a RTT..anything I should know?

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I've been wanting to get a RTT since I bought my Jeep back in May and finally was able to pull the trigger today. Bought a Smittybilt Gen 2 from a local 4WheelParts. Super super excited, and will be taking it for a test run the weekend after Thanksgiving! I'm going to be mounting it on my DeeZee rack. Is there anything I should know or look out for with this setup? Do you guys tend to leave the tent up there long term or do you generally take it off and store it? Thanks in advance for any pointers! Can't wait to get out there for some camping.

Build so far. Next is probably a winch or LED lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just bought a RTT..anything I should know? 20201016-105118

20201010-101804.jpg
Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi there. Personally I do not have an RTT, but I hang out with a few guys that do. My first thought is your roof rack. I’m not familiar with deezee but looking at your photos does it mount to the rain gutters? Or is it bolted down to the top with reinforcement brackets on the inside of the jeep? I only ask cause you’ll want to make sure your rack is rated for the weight of the RTT plus yourself when you are inside.

some people leave their RTTs all the time because they don’t have the garage space to take it off and store it. If you have adequate garage space I’d recommend removing it when not in use. Not only will your jeep get better aerodynamics but like all things, it will degrade over time from the elements. My buddy takes his off unless he has multiple trips planned close enough together where it’s not worth the effort. Keep in mind you would probably need a strong second pair of hands to help you.

hope this helps and enjoy!

OP
OP
DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Thanks! The rack has attachment points on the gutters but the weight is actually distributed between feet that sit the rack on the strong points of the hard top (the edges). They're rated to 600lbs static and I think 200-250lbs dynamic.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
The hard top on the JL is only rated to 100 lbs according to the manual:

The load carried on the roof, when equipped with a luggage rack, must not exceed 100 lbs (45 kg), this includes the weight of the crossbars, and it should be uniformly distributed over the cargo area.

I have read elsewhere that the limit is 150 lbs, including the rack.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Yea, I would recommend a different rack. If you're not keen to the external ones that bolt to the bumper area/hinges - the rhino rack with backbone system is nice. The reality is those hardtops aren't built for that, no matter what a clip-on rack manufacturer says.

Honestly the thing to remember here is hardtops are essentially plastic and plastic ages with exposure to the elements and UV. Now, most of us wont even see this aging process because it's not going to be significant to a top in normal use. Case in point - look at all the original TJ hardtops from the 90s that are still kickin. However, I can say from experience that the tops become more brittle after seasons in the sun. Again - normal use this doesn't matter beyond being extra careful when moving them around. However, a 140-150lb RTT pushing force against a roof mounted rack, which then exerts twisting force on the gutters, will inevitably cause damage.

This being said that's the proper recommendation. "Will it work?" and "For how long?" are different questions. If I was going to go that route I would only drive the thing on paved roads to flat campsites. Bumpin around over deep washouts and whatnot with a RTT attached to a hardtop mounted rack, and then climbing in and out of it over time, would be something I'd definitely avoid.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I did to make removing the RTT a one man operation. A pretty simple build using an electric winch from Harbor Freight.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just bought a RTT..anything I should know? A935668B-CD59-4B3A-9603-F0BD91DD3A91

Jeep Wrangler JL Just bought a RTT..anything I should know? A935668B-CD59-4B3A-9603-F0BD91DD3A91

That is awesome.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

This is what I did to make removing the RTT a one man operation. A pretty simple build using an electric winch from Harbor Freight.

hmm.. now i know what i need to build. thats a fantastic setup.... i will start building one of these for myself! cannot believe i hadnt thought of this! great job!

TO the OP you need a better rack. Typlically roof tops range from 115lbs-210 from what i have found. i am currently running the roam RTT VEGAbound its 135lbs static load on the roof rack alone. look into the back bone or maximus3 roof rack system. very sturdy and well made

IMG_6712.JPG

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There are a lot of people on this forum using the DeZee rack and the Exposed racks for carrying a RTT. I am not very familiar with DeZee but there is a post of people successfully using it without issues. The exposed racks system consists off 4 crossbars + 4 distribution feet per crossbar. It is built very solidly and it has been thoroughly tested. Rated 300lbs dynamic and over 600lbs static, even sold on the Quadratec site and manufactured in the U.S. The numbers cited by Mopar are using their accessories. Mopar's guttermounted crossbars are very flimsy and nothing compared to exposed racks.

I have exposed racks 2 crossbar system with distribution feet and use it to carry kayaks, and/or light camping gear. I have put a full cooler + 3.5 gals of gas + 3 gals of water + a few misc up top and no issues. But I am probably below 150lbs up there, and have no plans on going heavier, or using a RTT ever.

Point is. Non-drill racks for RTT exist and work just fine, with the price of exposed racks though you could put a bit more and get something like maximus 3.

Funny how everyone cites the 150 or 100lbs weight carrying capacity of the hardtop, yet nobody sites the 850lbs payload of the JLU, or 700lbs for JL. Specially when putting over 300lbs RTT system + cargo + metal bumpers + winch + skid plates + passengers. Easily overloading.

Sponsored

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I have a near identical set up. DeeZee rack and a RTT from a brand called Offroading Gear. Basically an identical cheaper rip off of the smittybilt. It’s only 96 pounds. It works.

one piece of advice is to try to distribute weight in the Jeep evenly. I was running stock Sport suspension and felt the jeep was sagging a little in the rear.

The DeeZee is rock solid. I really do trust it with all the added weight. Once you have it attached you will know what I mean.

The awning I have mounts directly to the DeeZee rack!

let me know if you’d like to know anything specific!

Jeep Wrangler JL Just bought a RTT..anything I should know? B88C7515-0885-4BEE-9A7C-E8EF38089E4F
Jeep Wrangler JL Just bought a RTT..anything I should know? 370794EE-FFCF-44BB-991E-0FC19D05ECCF
Jeep Wrangler JL Just bought a RTT..anything I should know? 28DDA6D0-247D-4605-9ADB-4A7D6C869D72

ThinkOutdoors

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2018
I have a near identical set up. DeeZee rack and a RTT from a brand called Offroading Gear. Basically an identical cheaper rip off of the smittybilt. It’s only 96 pounds. It works.

one piece of advice is to try to distribute weight in the Jeep evenly. I was running stock Sport suspension and felt the jeep was sagging a little in the rear.

The DeeZee is rock solid. I really do trust it with all the added weight. Once you have it attached you will know what I mean.

The awning I have mounts directly to the DeeZee rack!

let me know if you’d like to know anything specific!

Jeep Wrangler JL Just bought a RTT..anything I should know? 28DDA6D0-247D-4605-9ADB-4A7D6C869D72
Awesome setup! I have the same roof rack. What awning did you buy and how did you mount it to the DeeZee rack? Arb awning brackets? Was looking to mount an awning and traction boards to the roof rack.

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Awesome setup! I have the same roof rack. What awning did you buy and how did you mount it to the DeeZee rack? Arb awning brackets? Was looking to mount an awning and traction boards to the roof rack.
i have a standard awning I found on amazon and just used the brackets that it came with. It mounted right onto the rack without any issues

6.5'L x 6.5'W Roof Rack 4x4 Awning w/Free 6.5' Front Extension, for Car/SUV/Truck - Dark Beige https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071YHMC5C...c_i_NK981E0FJ1NWA5P2XW7M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

DJohanis

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black 4XE JL Rubicon Unlimited
The hard top on the JL is only rated to 100 lbs according to the manual:

The load carried on the roof, when equipped with a luggage rack, must not exceed 100 lbs (45 kg), this includes the weight of the crossbars, and it should be uniformly distributed over the cargo area.

I have read elsewhere that the limit is 150 lbs, including the rack.
I've run a hard shell RTT on the Deezee system last year no problems. Wife, myself and our dog plus snacks numerous times. Went out the Rockies from Ontario with one of her friends...even got three of us up there no problems. It does an incredible job distributing the weight on the hard top. No dents or any visible issues with it either after I removed the RTT and rack for the season
Sponsored