Sponsored

Jumping your Jeep..... who has done it with a battery pack?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Actually, the topic of the thread is JUMP PACKS that will actually work to Jump a JL. So far, there are 3 or 4 listed above that have proven to work. additional models will hopefully be added along with they engine type jumped 3.6L with ESS, 2.0T BSG, etc.
Another consideration is UL 2743 rating. I noted that my Cobra jump pack is UL 2743 rated, but couldn't find any reference to this UL rating on the Audew pack.
https://standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_2743_2

https://legacy-uploads.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/08/LargeBatteryServices_vD.pdf
Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Back to the topic of this thread, the procedure for jump starting the JL has remained the same for 2018, 2019, and 2020. Connect the jump pack or jump vehicle, to the JL in the same manner as any other vehicle.
So I can use a jump pack...Better?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So I can use a jump pack...Better?
Carroll, I'm going to take your question to mean, "So I can use a jump pack more effectively?"

I hope I got that right.

And my belief has to be, in light of my being made aware of recent changes to the start up procedure for 2019 3.6L JLs and beyond "yes."

I say this because those in the know are saying that with these newer model years, no longer is it necessary for the ESS/Aux battery to have a minimal charge for the vehicle to even attempt a cold crank.

This means that time spent with a jumper pack on the main battery before cranking need not be spent on what use to be the most important purpose I believe: making sure the ESS/Aux battery had a basic level of charge, by connecting the power pack to both batteries, as per the manual (by virtue of both batteries being connected in parallel when the rig is shut down, and the power pack connected to the main battery), and possibly robbing the power pack of crank strength. You see, in the 2018 3.6L, when tested back in 2018, the rig checked the ESS battery in isolation prior to a cold crank and would not attempt one if that battery's power didn't meet a basic threshold...even if the main battery was replaced with one from a tank. Conversely, in this model you could yank the main battery and still crank and run of the ESS battery alone.

Now, today, with this change to the 2019 3.6L and beyond, it seems that what such power packs do on conventional vehicles seems be the same as on new model JL: which is waiting for a little time with the power pack connected to insure that both/either of the 3.6L batteries have some semblance of charge in them, even if not enough for a crank on their own, to, in parallel with the connected jumping pack, crank the engine.

@roaniecowpony is correct in that the procedure hasn't changed, but what goes on in that procedure seems to have (no longer is the single most important thing to breath some life into the ESS/Aux battery) --and it is anything but off topic as to which power packs work.

Stated another way, some think that the 2018 Owner's manual instructions for jump starting were deceiving, as more was going on during the wait period with powered cables connected, than that which goes on in more conventional vehicles (i.e. the ESS battery was charging.)

Now, in that either battery can start the 3.6L JL I'm told, power packs can act on the JL the same way they would any vehicle, not first sit to charge the ESS battery, vis a vis the main battery.

As the main battery was not needed to crank the 2018 3.6JL, just the ESS, this charging of the main battery--a necessary step if you didn't bypass it, robbed the ESS battery and jumper pack of crank power.

Jerry @Jebiruph : you wouldn't happen to know if FCA changed the 2018 3.6L JLs start up logic to adopt this "either battery with power and the crank will be attempted" way of doing things?

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Carroll, I'm going to take your question to mean, "So I can use a jump pack more effectively?"

I hope I got that right.

And my belief has to be, in light of my being made aware of recent changes to the start up procedure for 2019 3.6L JLs and beyond "yes."

I say this because those in the know are saying that with these newer model years, no longer is it necessary for the ESS/Aux battery to have a minimal charge for the vehicle to even attempt a cold crank.

This means that time spent with a jumper pack on the main battery before cranking need not be spent on what use to be the most important purpose I believe: making sure the ESS/Aux battery had a basic level of charge, by connecting the power pack to both batteries, as per the manual (by virtue of both batteries being connected in parallel when the rig is shut down, and the power pack connected to the main battery), and possibly robbing the power pack of crank strength. You see, in the 2018 3.6L, when tested back in 2018, the rig checked the ESS battery in isolation prior to a cold crank and would not attempt one if that battery's power didn't meet a basic threshold...even if the main battery was replaced with one from a tank. Conversely, in this model you could yank the main battery and still crank and run of the ESS battery alone.

Now, today, with this change to the 2019 3.6L and beyond, it seems that what such power packs do on conventional vehicles seems be the same as on new model JL: which is waiting for a little time with the power pack connected to insure that both/either of the 3.6L batteries have some semblance of charge in them, even if not enough for a crank on their own, to, in parallel with the connected jumping pack, crank the engine.

@roaniecowpony is correct in that the procedure hasn't changed, but what goes on in that procedure seems to have (no longer is the single most important thing to breath some life into the ESS/Aux battery) --and it is anything but off topic as to which power packs work.

Stated another way, some think that the 2018 Owner's manual instructions for jump starting were deceiving, as more was going on during the wait period with powered cables connected, than that which goes on in more conventional vehicles (i.e. the ESS battery was charging.)

Now, in that either battery can start the 3.6L JL I'm told, power packs can act on the JL the same way they would any vehicle, not first sit to charge the ESS battery, vis a vis the main battery.

As the main battery was not needed to crank the 2018 3.6JL, just the ESS, this charging of the main battery--a necessary step if you didn't bypass it, robbed the ESS battery and jumper pack of crank power.

Jerry @Jebiruph : you wouldn't happen to know if FCA changed the 2018 3.6L JLs start up logic to adopt this "either battery with power and the crank will be attempted" way of doing things?
Thank you for taking the time to offer such a detailed response.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I didn't know anything changed until @cbrenthus posted his experience and I verified it with my Gladiator. I did suspected something because of the lack of similar issues on the Gladiator forum, but I do not have any other information.

Sponsored

sobediny

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
audew 2000a peak 20000mAh jump starter

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
audew 2000a peak 20000mAh jump starter
Thank you.

you have a 2018 wrangler that you jumped with this unit? Is the Jeep a 3.6L or the 2.0T BSG?

Last edited:

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I just went overkill and purchased this one. Eliminate any doubt of having enough power to jump. So far havent had to use it but the reviews were good and I got a much better deal on mine.
Screenshot_20200317-085059_Amazon Shopping.jpg

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just went overkill and purchased this one. Eliminate any doubt of having enough power to jump. So far havent had to use it but the reviews were good and I got a much better deal on mine.
Screenshot_20200317-085059_Amazon Shopping.jpg
What is the capacity of that one? It has a high peak amperage, but nowhere does it show the capacity... which is what I think the JL's need.

Sponsored

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the capacity of that one? It has a high peak amperage, but nowhere does it show the capacity... which is what I think the JL's need.
In the instruction booklet and in the reviews I read from actual users, it will jump start a standard car 10+ times at full charge.
1 reviewer said he was a mechanic and he starts pick up trucks 8-10 times on a single charge.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
In the instruction booklet and in the reviews I read from actual users, it will jump start a standard car 10+ times at full charge.
1 reviewer said he was a mechanic and he starts pick up trucks 8-10 times on a single charge.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm a numbers guy, and it makes me nervous when they don't post a simple number like XX,XXXmAh capacity.

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I saw that. I'm a numbers guy, and it makes me nervous when they don't post a simple number like XX,XXXmAh capacity.
I'm fairly sure that if it has the power and will start a pick up or diesel engine multiple times that it will be perfectly fine for a JL.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
It is weird they don’t state capacity. We can back into that number perhaps, by the time to charge info. I would conclude from those numbers that it’s around 22AH. What goes in will always be a bit more than what comes out though.
Sponsored