Sponsored

Jumping battery if alone?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
How was a 6000 AMP supply not able to start the JL? That's waaaaay more current than anything would need to start. Did it not supply power when attached to help 'charge' your drained battery, as I assume the jumper cables did with the 3-5 minute wait?
I am not sure about the JL's with 2 batteries? On regular vehicles with one traditional battery, portable battery jumpers work under "ideal" conditions. "Ideal" conditions meaning perfect circumstances. I found they usually will work well in the summer when temps are warm. In winter the battery pack has to be at room temp not in the trunk of the vehicle. The battery pack has much reduced cranking amps when temps are freezing. Another issue is the battery clips for the portable jumpers. Some are too small and have poor conductivity. They have poor transfer of electricity if they are not hooked up perfectly. The clips on some do not open up enough to clamp a battery post enough to conduct enough current.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Well mine is bricked in my driveway at the moment. Both main and aux are dead and both are registered bad on my smart chargers. 12hrs of trickle and still 6v on the main. Can not even trickle the aux. starter feature on my Schumacher will not start it. Not sure if I will test the booster before I try chump starting it yet
My smart charger sometimes decides a battery is bad and won't charge it, but my dumb charger isn't as fussy.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I am not sure about the JL's with 2 batteries? On regular vehicles with one traditional battery, portable battery jumpers work under "ideal" conditions. "Ideal" conditions meaning perfect circumstances. I found they usually will work well in the summer when temps are warm. In winter the battery pack has to be at room temp not in the trunk of the vehicle. The battery pack has much reduced cranking amps when temps are freezing. Another issue is the battery clips for the portable jumpers. Some are too small and have poor conductivity. They have poor transfer of electricity if they are not hooked up perfectly. The clips on some do not open up enough to clamp a battery post enough to conduct enough current.
That's true of the cheaper ones. My lead acid JnCs do fine in winter. My lithium JnC actually has a built in pre-heater for cold situations. I started a 6.2l truck a while back when it was 40f outside, and it did fine. Still had some charge left, too. Well, here's to hoping people get this figured out! I bet it's electrical safeties or something.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR

Here is Shane’s video on the installation of the Genesis dual battery.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
So forgive my confusion on this but are we as a group saying that most likely a portable jump starter will not work and you have to go with the construction of a dual battery housing inside the engine? Or no one really knows yet and still trying to figure it out? Cuz I think it's pretty sad we would have to engineer into the vehicle a dual battery casing (even if the video shows it isn't too hard to do).

Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I only did it because if I am out camping in the middle of nowhere by myself, I don’t want to take any chances. I would probably be okay at the mall.

Last edited:

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I only did it because if I am out camping in the middle of no where by myself, I don’t want to take any chances. I would probably be okay at the mall.
Actually I think the dual battery is a great idea, although costly in comparison. I just don't want to HAVE to do it to ensure I don't end up with a dead battery. If that makes sense...

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Jumping battery if alone?

Well, if I've had a few beers and no one was around....I say...why the hell not?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So forgive my confusion on this but are we as a group saying that most likely a portable jump starter will not work and you have to go with the construction of a dual battery housing inside the engine? Or no one really knows yet and still trying to figure it out? Cuz I think it's pretty sad we would have to engineer into the vehicle a dual battery casing (even if the video shows it isn't too hard to do).
The 3.6L JL from 2018, when tested back then, seemed to require a basic threshold of charge on the ESS battery, when tested alone, before the rig's computer would then allow both batteries to power the cold crank process.

This doesn't seem the be the case in the 2019 3.6L and beyond. In fact, if this change was downloaded to the 2018's, who knows if they still behave that way.

The 2018 3.6L JL's batteries were always hooked in parallel but for ESS events, and an instant at cold crank when the aforementioned test of the ESS battery's power was done. It would seem that if the unlikely event that one battery both lacked charge compared to the other, and could not be charged (i.e. a black hole of a power sink), that the good battery could be drained as well in its, attempt, in vain, to charge the failing battery. I assume that 2019 3.6L's and beyond also link the batteries in parallel at all times but ESS events.

I don't know if mechanism to stop the flow between batteries at rest exist at any threshold level, in any factory design of any year, like what seems to be the case with the Genesys system.

The question of portable power pack suitability lied in part on the need to wait with cables connected (to the main battery, parallel connected to the ESS battery) on the, at rest, 2018 3.6L JL for the purposes of charging the ESS battery so the above test of this battery would not fail.

True, although off point, this waiting period may also charge the main battery and allow the alternator of the running vehicle (when power packs are not used) to recharge the donating power battery from what might be its own power depleting recent crank, as is the case for jump starting other non 3.6L JL vehicles.

It appears that in the 2019 3.6L JL's and beyond, that now, an ESS battery lacking power won't prevent the rig from attempting a cold crank. In fact maybe FCA has or will download this changed procedure for startup to the 2018.

With this change, 3.6L JL's tend to behave more like other vehicle's use of portable power packs and their natural tendency to be better at supplying lots of power quickly to overcome the power demands of inertia in cranking, than use of those power packs as slower methods of charging batteries, as was in part required of the ESS battery in the 2018 3.6L JL (and while doing so also charging the main battery perhaps unnecessarily); a process that may have in part robbed the power pack of some of its "umph" to successfully crank.

Sorry if that's confusing. The crank process had a less than trivial algorithm in the 2018 3.6L JL: a procedure that itself seems to have changed since release of this model year, that may or will be also affect 2018's. I just don't know.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Old post but once again I'm trying to figure out how to dig myself out of a hole when my battery dies as it did on a mountain this weekend and my Noco 1500 amp did nothing to help. I doubt this 1000 amper will do any better, make sure you test it before going out alone.

I have NEVER gotten this jeep jump started without another vehicle. I think I've tried the noco 5+ times, waited hours, etc. I'm going to wind up with the Genesis kit and it sucks that I have to do that. I can't believe a; my batteries get into a spot where they can't crank so easily, b; that I need a $350 jumper that might not even work (haven't seen anyone say they used one of these on a Jeep with ESS/etc yet, just their other vehicles).

I have a Cascadia 4x4 solar setup coming its 30 watt I'm hoping it will at least be enough to keep things decent against my fridge (0.67a) , etc.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Old post but once again I'm trying to figure out how to dig myself out of a hole when my battery dies as it did on a mountain this weekend and my Noco 1500 amp did nothing to help. I doubt this 1000 amper will do any better, make sure you test it before going out alone.

I have NEVER gotten this jeep jump started without another vehicle. I think I've tried the noco 5+ times, waited hours, etc. I'm going to wind up with the Genesis kit and it sucks that I have to do that. I can't believe a; my batteries get into a spot where they can't crank so easily, b; that I need a $350 jumper that might not even work (haven't seen anyone say they used one of these on a Jeep with ESS/etc yet, just their other vehicles).

I have a Cascadia 4x4 solar setup coming its 30 watt I'm hoping it will at least be enough to keep things decent against my fridge (0.67a) , etc.
Noco is actually notoriously bad for the price they are asking.
Project Farm on YT did exensive testing on battery boosters and Noco consistently did worst among the bunch.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@swozey

Jump packs are more often then not up to the deed in regard ot the JL/JT as you have found out.

Learn how to separate out the 2 batteries .... also, do have TSB 18-092-19 applied to your JL?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Noco is actually notoriously bad for the price they are asking.
Project Farm on YT did exensive testing on battery boosters and Noco consistently did worst among the bunch.
@Arterius2

Guys have tried unsuccessfully using jump start boxes to start the JL/JLU for almost 3 years now....

....AND, regardless of the brand jump box.... regardless of whether they are highly rated or not, more often then not, they will not be able to jump start a JL/JLU.

Yes, if you separate the batteries out, your chances improve..

So, your video makes me chuckle... really chuckle..
Sponsored