Sponsored

Jumper cables: Need to buy some new ones. Recommendations?

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My cables are 1 gauge x 20ft and so far have cranked everything I've connected to. Everytime I've pulled them out to jump a vehicle off the owners usually say something along the lines of dang what a set of jumper cables. I usually answer with, if we can't jump it off I can tow you back with the cables. lol
thank you.

so you went with copper clad 1 gauge. ........ hmmmm..... that’s an interesting idea!
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
OK...Hi David @Dkretden. First you asked for an opinion on jumper cables.

I really like these and the prices the guy offers them at. I'm a huge fan of Anderson connectors. This guy makes cables any way you want.

https://www.polepalsolarlightingsystem.com/catalog/cat-100013/Power-ConnectorsTransfers#.X1b7A-eSnIU

I think two cables are good. One with eyelits at one end connected to your main battery and Anderson connectors with a cover hanging out somewhere outside the front of the rig, and a longer cable with an Anderson plug at one end, and clips at the other end to give or receive a charge.

That said, let's resolve some possible hard feelings above over portable battery packs and the JL, at least the 3.6L. Yes, @baron75, while you are correct about letting the energized booster cables sit for a while to establish some basic charge in the dead battery as a "best practice" in any jump start situation, the 3.6L is a whole new realm of sit and wait. Let me try to keep this brief by discussing the facts more than the why.

In 2018, your 3.6L JL would not cold crank if the ESS/Aux battery was absent charge. If it did have adequate charge it was joined in parallel to the main battery to (have both batteries) crank the engine. (References on request)

The two batteries in the 3.6L are connected in parallel at all times but this momentary pre-crank check, whether a cold crank or post ESS crank, and ESS events. So, this waiting period in the owners manual, I think, was really about putting some basic charge in the ESS/Aux battery so this cold crank test would pass.

This logic was IMHO stupid. It could strand a motorist with a perfectly good main battery more than capable of cranking the engine. People developed workarounds (links upon request). IMHO the logic was stupidly taken by FCA from how the 3.6L cranks after ESS events where this algorithm makes sense for reasons available upon request.

Testing on this forum has shown that 2019's and later will, on second try, cold crank the rig even if the ESS/Aux battery is dead. In fact there appears to be a dealer flash for 2018s that change the cold crank logic on this initial model year (more upon request) to act like the 2019s and later.

So.....back in 2018 power packs, which are engineered to deliver large amounts of current in short periods of time, had to be in the business of depleting their reserves charging (not what they do best) the ESS/Aux battery, (and BTW the main battery because the two batteries are connected in parallel while the 3.6L is at rest, as mentioned) leaving them (the power packs) with less current to get the starter working.

This, I believe, and the substantial needs of the JL found many power packs inadequate. But with this potential need to no longer have to charge the ESS/Aux battery it is possible some of the packs that failed on 2018's, in 2018, may work today in more recent 3.6 JLs and those 2018s with the flash, as power packs don't have to be in the business or charging the ESS/Aux battery far beyond the otherwise sound basic charging recommendations that @baron75 cites. :)

Last edited:

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Hi,
I've used these over the last several years with great success:
Deka 4 Professional Gauge 20 Foot Booster Cables 00159
They run around $100 and are solid copper with good clamps. Mine indicated Made in USA,. They've started cold V8s in winter and even a large road grader diesel. With a solid connection on the battery terminals I generally don't even bother having my vehicle running when giving a jump. The 20' length is good for allowing an end-to-end jump (parking lots, side of busy highway, etc.)
They also make a non-professional version (00163) with parrot clamps, haven't used them but they are still solid copper and probably ok too.
LF

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have a good set now but found out the hard way years ago that you get what you pay for. I had a rinky dink set, wouldn’t do anything. My neighbor walked over with his good set and the vehicle started right up. I went straight to the auto parts store, bought a new battery and the best set of cables they had. Still have em.
My question to you guys is this: can you clutch start a 2019 Jeep if you have the power to move the start button to “run”?
I know I could just go to a hill and try it but I baby my Jeep and am Leary to do it.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a good set now but found out the hard way years ago that you get what you pay for. I had a rinky dink set, wouldn’t do anything. My neighbor walked over with his good set and the vehicle started right up. I went straight to the auto parts store, bought a new battery and the best set of cables they had. Still have em.
My question to you guys is this: can you clutch start a 2019 Jeep if you have the power to move the start button to “run”?
I know I could just go to a hill and try it but I baby my Jeep and am Leary to do it.
Theoretically if the battery still has enough juice to power up the onboard computers, you could. Chances are probably not.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
https://spartanpower.com/

US Manufactured, 100% COPPER wire - don't fall for the cheap jumper cables that are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire. You get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
https://spartanpower.com/

US Manufactured, 100% COPPER wire - don't fall for the cheap jumper cables that are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire. You get what you pay for.
THANK YOU. These look to be perfect. Made in USA, correct gauge, copper, and the price is acceptable. Win. THANK YOU!

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Some of the best I found https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/booster-cables-that-dont-suck/
These cost some coin but are custom made with the best wire and come in different lengths and sizes.

I don't have a set of these but I did a complete re-wire on a restoration, I used a lot of his products and are top-notch, and quick to ship..
Sponsored