Jump starting a dead JL 2.0L w/ eTorque

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
That makes sense, but I'd still argue there's no risk as that wire is ~12" long and connected directly to the battery positive. Overloading it in a jump start event is unlikely. I could have 100+ amps running off my aux switches alone so I'm guessing that terminal is rated upwards of 200A anyway. Logically the N1 shouldn't make any difference in a jump start vs the positive terminal, likely the op had success simply because the cables were connected long enough to recharge his dead battery enough to wake up the electronics and get the systems back online.
Now that I know what I know about the battery connecting directly to N1, I agree with you. With the etorque system, there doesn't seem to be much risk jump starting to N1 or much reason to do it as long as the battery to N1 cable connections are tight.

Many people may not know or understand which system they have, so as a general statement to cover both ESS and eTorque systems, I think we can say that there is either no benefit or a possible risk to the system when trying to jump start connected to the N1 terminal. Jump starts should use the main battery terminal as recommended by the owners manual.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
Whelp...it happened to me last night. Not exactly sure how or why my batteries died but dead they were! My first issue was figuring out how to put my Jeep in neutral to roll it down my driveway to make room for our other vehicle get into a position to jump my Jeep. It's not possible with the shifter when the battery is dead. I was able to figure it out myself but check out How to Put Your Jeep JL in Neutral When the Battery is Dead to learn about it.

From there, I had to figure it out how to actually jump my Jeep. If you read the owner's manual, its straightforward but it is not! Yes, there are threads here about this but none of them were particular to my specific Jeep...2.0L turbo w/ eTorque. The best video I found was on Facebook.

That said, after a few unsuccessful attempts of jumping my Jeep the "normal" way, I put the positive clamp on the #1 terminal of the terminal block in the fusebox (as the person in the Facebook video did)...viola! It worked!

I now have a "check engine" light on and my stop/start isn't working until the 48v batteries are fully charged but I suspect that will resolve soon. I'm just sharing this here to help the next person who runs into this problem.

BTW, here is a good article from FCA on our 2.0L Turbo w/ eTorque engines: Jeep Wrangler eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology.
I drive a 2020 jlu with ESS. This video's method worked for me using a battery pack starter when normal method would not.
- just shared on another thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jumping-battery-if-alone.18651/post-1476510

Only have one vehicle and no triple a. I also Street Park in New York City and to realize that I left my window open 3 inches...
Was panicking and found this thread. I actually didn't finish reading it till I was done lol. not sure I would have done it if I had but clad I did.

Sorry - not trying to start anything just wanted to share my experience. This video got my specific truck running - a 2020 2.0 with ESS.

Thanks.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
As I understand it, the first terminal connects to the AUX battery...and its the AUX battery that is connected to the starter.
I think the wiring is more complicated than that. My AUX battery is completely disconnected and the vehicle starts like normal with the main battery.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Jumping my etorque wasn’t hard when the original battery took a crap on me leaving work. First tried my dads mini jump starter but it was around 30% charged so it didn’t have enough juice to start it. Then hooked up the JT to my jl and boom.
The next day however I used a fully charged jump pack from duracell(it’s kinda weak compared to another jump starter I have) and it started after a couple of tries. Was just left with a CEL and non working HVAC afterwards.

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU in a few months, Challenger Scatpack
Nina Barlow would run circles around you with her extensive knowledge of Jeeps. Wonder why Jeep goes to her whenever they’re in Arizona or Utah to test things out? 🤔 But you probably know more than someone like that, since you’re on a Jeep forum not actually sitting next to a Jeep engineer out on a trail 🤣

Finally, at least one post in this whole thread that won't get reader's into trouble...

That Facebook video, linked earlier is a recipe for real headaches and more...

@RedWranger ... Would be great if you just edited that Facebook link out of your initial post.
Bad enough that you followed the crapola idea you got from that video. No point in other's following your footsteps. I know you meant well posting the link but...

Reality is this forum has a wealth of spot on information in regard to the JL's dual battery system.... no reason to go elsewhere and get pot luck... get you into trouble info, so to speak.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Nina Barlow would run circles around you with her extensive knowledge of Jeeps. Wonder why Jeep goes to her whenever they’re in Arizona or Utah to test things out? 🤔 But you probably know more than someone like that, since you’re on a Jeep forum not actually sitting next to a Jeep engineer out on a trail 🤣
Maybe she should get with the writers of the owners manual. They or their advisors think jump starting that way could kill you. This image is from the owners manual.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jump starting a dead JL 2.0L w/ eTorque 1634121830608

To be honest, I think the owners manual is wrong with the resulting in death or injury part, but it can damage the vehicle. Jump starting from the N1 terminal means all that starting current is going through the 150A N3 ESS fuse and we all know what happens when that fuse blows. Did she even review the wiring diagrams before she made her recommendation?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-cable-caution-and-ess-n3-fuse-warning.66247/
Sponsored