Jump starting a dead JL 2.0L w/ eTorque

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I've never heard of jumpstarting an etorque system from N1, so I decided do some investigating. Both the following schematic and the PDC label show the battery connected directly to N1. Since it started by jumpstarting to N1, I would check the condition of the factory cable from the battery to N1.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jump starting a dead JL 2.0L w/ eTorque 1614392241862

Jeep Wrangler JL Jump starting a dead JL 2.0L w/ eTorque pdc label 3
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the advice given to the OP... which drivetrain is that for? All? If not, do we know if the jump start procedure is “special” for the 2.0 with eTorque? This is the first I’ve heard of special jump starting and it would be great to know how to jump start if it’s not the normal way.
The advice was informed from my knowledge of ESS, but I think it applies to attempting to jump start any system from N1. Starting from a jumper/booster cable connected to N1 has the potential to send several hundred amps through that terminal.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I've never heard of jumpstarting an etorque system from N1, so I decided do some investigating. Both the following schematic and the PDC label show the battery connected directly to N1. Since it started by jumpstarting to N1, I would check the condition of the factory cable from the battery to N1.

So in essence, according to schematic, connecting to N1 is the same as connecting to the positive terminal in 2L etorque engine. So now I'm really curious why OP had luck with N1 and not the Pos terminal?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So in essence, according to schematic, connecting to N1 is the same as connecting to the positive terminal in 2L etorque engine. So now I'm really curious why OP had luck with N1 and not the Pos terminal?
Loose cable? I couldn't find any schematic that explicitly showed the connection from the battery to N1 and am assuming it is just a cable.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The advice was informed from my knowledge of ESS, but I think it applies to attempting to jump start any system from N1. Starting from a jumper/booster cable connected to N1 has the potential to send several hundred amps through that terminal.
All I’m looking for is pos to pos and then neg to neg like normal with a booster pack assuming all connections are secure?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RedWranger

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry that I can’t help more than share my experience. I had a dead/dead battery and after multiple failed attempted jumping the “normal” way (following the user manual), I was able to successfully jump fro N1. No fuses busted and no issues at all. BSG, battery voltage, check engine lights, accessories, etc...all work without issue. Drive is fine. Infotainment system is good. All other 12v systems work fine. I’ll keep an eye on things and report back if anything unexpected crops up but...I’m a happy camper right now!

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Here's the problem with jumpstarting from the N1 terminal according to the owner's manual

I think the issue is the wiring from the N1 terminal to the starter is sized for aux battery current and it's possible to exceed that wiring's capacity when attempting to jumpstart from N1. It's better to jumpstart from the main battery positive terminal and connect a jumper wire from there to N1 if needed to get power to the electronics.

If you have to apply power directly to N1 to start, check the high current fuse at N3, it may be blown.
Do you know what size junker wire is needed? I’m looking to grab one to throw in my tool bag fora just in case moment. Thanks

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know what size junker wire is needed? I’m looking to grab one to throw in my tool bag fora just in case moment. Thanks
Check post #16, with etorque the battery is already connected directly to N1 so you're less likely to need a jumper. Otherwise duplicate the size of the existing cable from the battery to N1.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Loose cable? I couldn't find any schematic that explicitly showed the connection from the battery to N1 and am assuming it is just a cable.
N1 directly connects to the battery. Was removing the fuse box today to run some wires through the firewall so had a chance to check :)

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Check post #16, with etorque the battery is already connected directly to N1 so you're less likely to need a jumper. Otherwise duplicate the size of the existing cable from the battery to N1.
Thanks. I have the 2.0T non etorque

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
In an etorque wrangler, all battery current runs through N1 anyway according to the diagram. Any amps sent through the positive terminal flow directly through N1 be it under normal operation or a jump start condition.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In an etorque wrangler, all battery current runs through N1 anyway according to the diagram. Any amps sent through the positive terminal flow directly through N1 be it under normal operation or a jump start condition.
From what I found, there should be three wires on the positive terminal, one to the starter, one to N1 for the electronics and one to N2 for engine control. Only electronics are powered through N1, just like with the ESS system.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
From what I found, there should be three wires on the positive terminal, one to the starter, one to N1 for the electronics and one to N2 for engine control. Only electronics are powered through N1, just like with the ESS system.
That makes sense, but I'd still argue there's no risk as that wire is ~12" long and connected directly to the battery positive. Overloading it in a jump start event is unlikely. I could have 100+ amps running off my aux switches alone so I'm guessing that terminal is rated upwards of 200A anyway. Logically the N1 shouldn't make any difference in a jump start vs the positive terminal, likely the op had success simply because the cables were connected long enough to recharge his dead battery enough to wake up the electronics and get the systems back online.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That’s all I care about. Not the details. Pos to pos and neg to neg from a booster. So with a booster pack, should you let it sit connected a few minutes as if it were connected to another vehicle before attempting a start?

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s all I care about. Not the details. Pos to pos and neg to neg from a booster. So with a booster pack, should you let it sit connected a few minutes as if it were connected to another vehicle before attempting a start?
I suspect that's what happend with OP. With him connecting several times to pos terminal and finally to N1 it was equivalent to connecting to pos terminal and letting it seat for couple of minutes.
Sponsored